Martial Arts

metu

Nov 21, 2002
MI, USA
Visit site
Hell, let's discuss the movies and the study. They often mix anyway.

I recently, finally, bought Once Upon a Time in China. I love this movie. It really is all that's great about martial arts films. The fight scenes aren't a distraction from the plot in any way. They establish and develop it. This is true of all great martial arts films and perhaps I'm most enthusiastic about this one because it's so new to me. It also helps that I'm a big fan of the Boxer Rebellion. Still, I love this movie. I'll have to save up and get the rest of them.

Other than that, I love classics like Fists of Fury, The Chinese Connection and Fearless Hyena... and many others.

I took Tai Chi for a year a few years back from an old Chinese man. It was interesting and I enjoyed it very much. I would have kept going, but it was expensive. There were only two of us training at the same time. The other kid was learning Tiger style. It was an interesting mix.

We didn't spar. ;]

I'll keep an eye out for Fist of Legend. Not to be confused with The Legend. :] Thanks for the suggestion.

To be honest, I've only got 5 or so Jacky Chan movies. Fearless Hyena is probably my favorite of those. Have you seen the second one? Do you think it's as good? I always loved his first movie. I think it's called either Young Tiger or Young Dragon. That soundtrack is awesome.

:yow:
Mist said:
well of all Jacky Chan's movies my favorite is project A part 1 (if you didn't see this one u should...) I've seen fearless hyenna - nice movie. I didn't see the young master but one day I will (it's on my hit list) :D

The majority of my DVDs are martial arts movies, but I'm not much of a fan of older movies so everything that I have is somewhat recent. I love pretty anything with Jacky Chan, Jet Li, Ziyi Zhang, and Jason Statham.

I don't have any practical martial arts experience though and I regret this. I took karate lessons in second grade, but only made it to yellow belt before our instructor retired and I didn't retain any of it. I did wrestling for my last three years of high school but I had a tremendous experience disadvantage as almost everyone else had already been doing it for five to ten years or more. I went to a few Capoeira Club meetings at my college when I was a sophomore, but their primary interests revolved around conditioning and playing the instruments, rather than actually "playing," as it's called, so I got bored quickly and stopped going.

Since then, the entirety of my experience with martial arts consists of the movies that I watch, instructional videos on youtube and an Aikido book that my brother bought me for Christmas.

I train in Muay Thai and Dutch Kickboxing. It's pretty cool and rewarding. Sparring is mandatory if you want to progress, so that's nice.

Nothing beats rolling up to the mats after blasting some Poison Arts or Dim Mak and decimating some people.