Martin Mendez

The tone on Damnation is superb. Martin also has his moments on Blackwater Park but let's keep in mind Mikael writes the music so it doesn't matter how "good" Martin is.
However, I prefer the bass on Morningrise to anything else in the catalogue. This album is considered by many, myself included, to be Opeth's crowning achievement as a metal band.

agreed

I prefer Mendez over DeFarfalla. Mendez has a good sense about knowing when to lay back and let the song breathe and when to spice things up. DeFarfalla at times seem to over step his bounds in certain songs ,but DeFarfalla does have some sweet basslines.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6457991 said:
... we have a great bunch of musicians in the band whose abilities will be put to the test and utilized. However, not in a widdly widdly sense, but in a pure musical and selective sense. Opeth has never been about showing off, and that's something that will remain until the end.

They would put in a bass solo if it fit. Opeth aren't out to show off their skills.

Johan was fired because of personal problems between him and the rest of us. We're on different pages musically, it's as simple as that.
The bass is indeed in a more "front" position, but the mix ended up like that and the guitars are quite thin on the record so maybe that's why it's easier to hear. I always regarded the bass as a rhythm instrument so I wasn't over the moon happy about the mix.

Johasn was/is a great player for sure, but he we had some issues with him regarding the musical future of the band + yes, he tried to claim publishing royalties for songs he had no part in writing. I don't think he had bad intentions but it created a awkward situation. I certainly embrace the idea of the other guys writing and I always have, but Johan didn't write any raw music during his time with Opeth. He did however do a stellar job playing the songs and he added some uniqueness that at the time, was unheard of in metal. I still think his solo in the end of "Requiem" is awesome, and his playing impress me to this day.

But, Mendez is better! Of course!

Cheers
Mike

Agreed.

IMO it should be illegal for anyone to turn up the volume on any of Mendez bass parts. They are so amazing they could literally drop and shatter windows into a kabrillion pieces, Deliverance being a prime example.

Yeah I definitely prefer Mendez. Of course I love Morningrise but some basslines in that album really make you go 'what the fuck was that?'. For example 3:30 on Advent. But also he did a fantastic job everywhere else, just a couple parts that seem weird.

Yeah I definitely prefer Mendez. Of course I love Morningrise but some basslines in that album really make you go 'what the fuck was that?'. For example 3:30 on Advent. But also he did a fantastic job everywhere else, just a couple parts that seem weird.

Exactly the way I feel. Some of the bass parts on there makes me think , is that really fitting to the song?Plus Mendez has a better tone, DeFarfalla had a real mid-rangy tone not in the good way though like Jaco Pastorius, but not many people can have Jaco's tone:p

I'm pretty sure the difference in "tone" is the variety in production Opeth's albums have seen, not their different playing styles.

I'm pretty sure the difference in "tone" is the variety in production Opeth's albums have seen, not their different playing styles.

Ehhhh i say yes and no to that. True the production values have been greatly increased in the following albums, but you can heavily alter the tone of your bass by pick up selection ,where you play at etc.

yeah no offense to mendez,he´s great.But Defarfallas basswork on especially morningrise is truly unice in the metal genre

Agreed! I just gave Morningrise another go last night and was absolutely floored by Defarfallas bass playing. He plays so many styles on that album...Mendez is just as talented in all respects and the bass on GR is simply beautiful and amazing....regardless, whenever I listen to Opeth I immediately have to turn it off and go play my bass.