Martin Walkyier : Sabbat / Skyclad / Return to the Sabbat

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Does anyone listen to Sabbat or Skyclad?

Sabbat's Dreamweaver is one hard mutha to find. It's a real collectors item. Does anyone have it? Can anyone recommend Mourning Has Broken - the last Sabbat CD without Walkyier?

Martin Walkyier's been involved in some of the writing for the new Elvenking as well. The Elvenking debut is excellent by the way, if you like the pagan italian power forest metal kind of thing.

Just curious.

:Spin:

I have all three Sabbat releases on cd. :)

paid about $30 for Dreamweaver, the best of the three.

Mourning Has Broken has an American singer, and the production is different. Guitars a little too crunchy, drums kinda thin. And the vocalist is an acquired taste. Like Dio with the ability to hit high notes, though.

Papa Josh said:
I have all three Sabbat releases on cd. :)

Cool.

paid about $30 for Dreamweaver, the best of the three.

That's a steal, you know. It's on sale on eBay right now, with a reserve at $70.

Mourning Has Broken has an American singer, and the production is different. Guitars a little too crunchy, drums kinda thin. And the vocalist is an acquired taste. Like Dio with the ability to hit high notes, though.

So is that a yay or nay?

JayKeeley said:
Cool.

That's a steal, you know. It's on sale on eBay right now, with a reserve at $70.

So is that a yay or nay?

I like Mourning... but a lot of people just can't deal with how different they sound...

And yeah, I snuck up on that Dreamweaver.. :)

Glad I don't have to look anymore.... oh, and in case you didn't know, Cradle of Filth do an excellent cover of For Those Who Have Died featuring Martin on co lead vocals with Dani..

I have all three Sabbat cds. I'll be boastful here and say that I've had Dreamweaver and History since they came out. :D Dreamweaver is absolutely one of my favorite records of all time. History ain't no slouch either, very good album.

Mourning is ok, I originally had it on cassette when it came out, hated it, and got rid of it. I've since picked it up dirt cheap on cd, and it's tolerable. Papa Josh's description of it is fairly accurate. I have a hard time considering it Sabbat though.

Skyclad is cool, I like all the records through Prince of the Poverty Line, which is strange because I'm someone who hates seeing the words folk and metal together (blech!). I guess it's Martin that keeps it holding my interest. After Prince, I don't think they were that good. I heard Folkemon and thought it was absolutely abysmal.

I was going to ask anyone if they have the live Sabbat video, The End of the Beginning. I did a quick search on eBay. If you don't have this... buy it. It's awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3333020131

bloodfiredeath said:
I have all three Sabbat cds. I'll be boastful here and say that I've had Dreamweaver and History since they came out. :D Dreamweaver is absolutely one of my favorite records of all time. History ain't no slouch either, very good album.

Mourning is ok, I originally had it on cassette when it came out, hated it, and got rid of it. I've since picked it up dirt cheap on cd, and it's tolerable. Papa Josh's description of it is fairly accurate. I have a hard time considering it Sabbat though.

Skyclad is cool, I like all the records through Prince of the Poverty Line, which is strange because I'm someone who hates seeing the words folk and metal together (blech!). I guess it's Martin that keeps it holding my interest. After Prince, I don't think they were that good. I heard Folkemon and thought it was absolutely abysmal.

I was going to ask anyone if they have the live Sabbat video, The End of the Beginning. I did a quick search on eBay. If you don't have this... buy it. It's awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3333020131

I've had Dreamweaver on tape since it was released, but that tape has seen better days and has since been passed along to the guy who introduced me to the band in the first place. He hasn't been able to score the cd at $50 or below yet... :tickled:

I have the Sabbat vhs and yes, a must have. Along with Coroner's vhs from the No More Color tour.

Never been too much into Skyclad...

*humble* can anyone burn me a CD-R or tape of Dreamweaver..? Just until I find it for sale at an affordable price (you know, less than $100)....*grovel grovel*

Well, I bought "Mourning Has Broken", not knowing it was without Walkyier... I haven't managed to listen to all of it yet. The vocalist is horrible, or, well, he isn't technically a horrible vocalist but the vocal melodies and singing style do NOT fit in the LEAST with the music. I wish he'd just shut up or just scream a bit. Vocals suck. Also, the guitar sound is possibly the strangest I've ever heard, and I listen to black metal. So far, I don't like the album. It's a chore to listen to it, basically.

Just picked up the first two Sabbat albums on eBay (original pressings). Got the two for $45 with the 'pay now' option. Bargain. The guy was a power seller too so I'm hoping this is kosher.

I have all the Sabbat releases, except Mourning...which I had, and felt like it did not keep with the original momentum of what Sabbat was and carried me into the hold world of wyrd.... indicentally - if you can put your hands on the Way of Wyrd, you will not be sorry. Its the book that inspired Dreamweaver and tells the story of a christian missionary on his journey through what was a young pagan albion. Unmissable....especially since it completely recasts the whole meaning of Mythistory as a love song for ones own soul....

And now for me when I remember the summers that gave me the memories of that album and the teen years i had.... it brings another dimension to the Dreamweaver experience......

Anyway... Get your hands on both Dreamweaver and Way of Wyrd... you will not regret it.

Also... I need help. About 15 years ago, Sabbat released a flexidisk on the cover of a magazine called White Dwarf - a war games mag that plays armies of mythical hordes against each other. The song released was Blood for the Blood God. The mag is out of print.... And to save my life..I cant find it on the web... Someone please please please contact me if you have a copy of this song....... "Blood for the Blood God" - ebrabazon@gmail.com

Martins been trying to get dreamweaver re-released for years
I asked him for a burn of it about a year ago since my old tape is long dead
must remind the fucker:tickled:
not a fan of skyclad myself but I thought the first 2 sabbat albums were class
saw them live in belfast back in the day, great fun
the shows they did here and south ireland had a big influence over more than one irish metal frontman I know:)
the clan destined thing should be out within a couple of months for anyone interested you can check out the artwork here http://www.unhinged.me.uk
:Spin:

Oh SHITS Mike I need that song, used to be a huge Warhammer geek and I love Sabbat. rpoling@gmail.com and I owe you a beer.

I prefer History of a Time To Come to Dreamweaver, but only by a slight margin, since they're both utterly fucking awesome, two of my favorite thrash albums. Wayward Sons is also very good. Haven't heard the third Sabbat.

If you like Sabbat, check out Bifrost–they sound vaguely similar and have a Viking sort of tinge in the same way that Sabbat/early Skyclad has that pagan Celtic tinge. The Wildest Fire and Pagan Reality are both impressive.