Mastering with Ozone

jaredistheman

Feb 16, 2010
Memphis, Tn
I know there's a thread a little bit down about general mastering, but i need some help strictly with ozone. (as it's the only mastering plug in i have)

I'm wanting more punch and more overall volume and i'm having trouble achieving that. When i try to use the loudness maximizer i get a lot of pumping.

I'm curious if you guys have some tips to help me add more punch to my mixes. Thanks!

I know there's a thread a little bit down about general mastering, but i need some help strictly with ozone. (as it's the only mastering plug in i have)

I'm wanting more punch and more overall volume and i'm having trouble achieving that. When i try to use the loudness maximizer i get a lot of pumping.

I'm curious if you guys have some tips to help me add more punch to my mixes. Thanks!

Punch and volume happens a lot more during mixing, then it does at mastering. As far as pumping.. Have you clipped your drums in the mix before applying ozone? I think you'd be surprised how much that helps. Also, you might want to try setting the character to something pretty fast in the loudness maximizer section if you haven't already.

what I do is start with bass. (I have read this somewhere and it works for me)
I get the bass so where it peaking at about -16 to -18. Then solo that with Kick and adjust kick volume to that of the bass. Then add Guitars, snare, cymbals and etc.... Then look at the master track, and if there is at least -6 to -8 of head room, then apply Ozone. If you increase volume, chances are you will have no pumping. (note: that if it is pumping, and the mix isn't quite as loud as other productions, it will probably be a result from bad EQ competition. Certian Frequencies fighting for room.) In Ozone, there is a Multiband Dynamic mode. From here I would recommend soloing each section, start with bass. Listen, and if there is pumping/clipping, than your problem would probably be Bass and kick relationship. If it is the lower mids, then it would result in guitars vs snare vs tom relationship, and if upper mids, could be the same as lower mids along with cymbals and if it is highs, then it could result in cymbals and other effects of the sort. That is how I usually find the bad sections.

EDIT: as Devon said, make sure to limit your drums. That is important. Make sure to compress and limit everything that is appropriate, but do this carefully. You want everything to have the same consistent volume (to an extent! I WARN YOU!!!! Never overdo it, it ruins the natural tone and sound)
Over compressed Toms with too much release can result in a bass not desired sound, that clips the overall mix and causes awkward distortion (learned from experience)

what I do is start with bass. (I have read this somewhere and it works for me)
I get the bass so where it peaking at about -16 to -18. Then solo that with Kick and adjust kick volume to that of the bass. Then add Guitars, snare, cymbals and etc.... Then look at the master track, and if there is at least -6 to -8 of head room, then apply Ozone. If you increase volume, chances are you will have no pumping. (note: that if it is pumping, and the mix isn't quite as loud as other productions, it will probably be a result from bad EQ competition. Certian Frequencies fighting for room.) In Ozone, there is a Multiband Dynamic mode. From here I would recommend soloing each section, start with bass. Listen, and if there is pumping/clipping, than your problem would probably be Bass and kick relationship. If it is the lower mids, then it would result in guitars vs snare vs tom relationship, and if upper mids, could be the same as lower mids along with cymbals and if it is highs, then it could result in cymbals and other effects of the sort. That is how I usually find the bad sections.

EDIT: as Devon said, make sure to limit your drums. That is important. Make sure to compress and limit everything that is appropriate, but do this carefully. You want everything to have the same consistent volume (to an extent! I WARN YOU!!!! Never overdo it, it ruins the natural tone and sound)
Over compressed Toms with too much release can result in a bass not desired sound, that clips the overall mix and causes awkward distortion (learned from experience)

Cool tip man, should help a couple newbie ozone users!

i stopped mastering with ozone. though it does have alot of really nice features that i still come back to now and again, ive gotten better results with a nice compressor or 2, a m/s eq, some clipping, and limitin.

ozone is awesome though and i used it for a long time

i stopped mastering with ozone. though it does have alot of really nice features that i still come back to now and again, ive gotten better results with a nice compressor or 2, a m/s eq, some clipping, and limitin.

ozone is awesome though and i used it for a long time

same here. I use Ozone for other tasks.