Dudes using ozone

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
Any of you guys using ozone for mastering what do you usually set the limiter character too, I used to set it to transparent but lately as my mixes have been getting slightly more balanced and not full of sub-lows (thanks seth for the huge bass hi-pass info!) I've been setting it to fast and loud and I think it sounds pretty good and wayyyy louder.

also another ozone question if you guys use the paragraphic eq specturm analyzer to compare your mixes to commercially mastered stuff with eq capture in your daw would you set the spectrum analyzer before the limiter in the processing order graph? Because when its set to after the limiter my mixes always have 49039403 more bass than the things I'm comparing them too but if I set it before its spot on.

Also I noticed the RMS meters in ozone are pretty whack.... yeah

Oh. Im also interested in getting some info about this topic :).
Also what mode do you people tend to like the most ?

Right now im using intelligent2 around 0.6 and it seems to work decent.. but I need to play around it some more .

I honestly suck at mastering.
But when I use ozone's loudness function, intelligent 2 all the way. And generally a much more transparent setting.

haha i suck at it too but yeah itelligent 2 is the new replacement for ozone 3's algos so i probably wouldnt ever use intelligent but yeah I really wanna know if anyone is using fast and loud including joey because honestly my mixes aren't very peaky at all but with transparent on I just can't get close to commercial loudness without it taking off about 6dbs and I also lose a lot of punch

Small trick: try to process both channels separately because of its linking by default. Unfortunately, many compress/limit plugins doesn't have "link on/off" button.

i use ozone and also the loud and fast setting. but a way to get mixes much louder is to set 2 clipers on the master buss before the limiter. and slightly clip both of them. youll get your loudness. i can get things to peak arounf -6dbfs

Gclip is free and works amazingly. make sure to have it in oversample mode.

theres a thread on ultimate metal that explains this in more detail my steven slate himself

i use ozone and also the loud and fast setting. but a way to get mixes much louder is to set 2 clipers on the master buss before the limiter. and slightly clip both of them. youll get your loudness. i can get things to peak arounf -6dbfs

Gclip is free and works amazingly. make sure to have it in oversample mode.

theres a thread on ultimate metal that explains this in more detail my steven slate himself

I dont like using it on my master bus anymore and if I do its just to analyze the waveform and maybe clip alittle real real little of the peaks but I usually take care of them in the mix itself and besides the lower you keep the fader in ozone (ie fast and loud and below) the more ozone is functioning as a clipper anyway because with such fast release times it will start to clip the audio

Clipping and limiting are different. Regardless how fastthe limited is set. As far as I know, a quick limited still just brings down the peaks. Instead of cutting them off

Clipping and limiting are different. Regardless how fastthe limited is set. As far as I know, a quick limited still just brings down the peaks. Instead of cutting them off

True, but as far as I know Ozones maximizer section is not strictly a limter. It combines limiting and clipping depending on the character setting.

Williamn said:
True, but as far as I know Ozones maximizer section is not strictly a limter. It combines limiting and clipping depending on the character setting.

Yeah I remember reading this too somewhere would love to get some clarity on this

dc biasing is only nessicary if the mean amplitude is not zero (-inf)... in other cases, there is no dc offset.

in any case only use dc offset if your wave form looks like this:

fig1.gif

The wave form to the left isn't sitting on -inf. Its more like -3, while the form on the right is directly on -inf. This requires dc biasing to fix it.

100% about the hitting infinity Tim (I use Ozone to check that)

clipping rms -inf in an output meter is different than waveform compression/rarefaction.

level metering is one thing / digital "biasing" is another.

there is a substantial purpose for dc biasing however it is merely a tool to fix offset waveforms based on hardware component configurations. dc = direct current, and the offset is undesirable when it causes saturation or change in the operating point of an amplifier.

sweetwater has a pretty clear definition:

sweetwater | glossary - DC offset is an imbalance that sometimes occurs in A/D converters . When working with audio it is desirable to have only the audio program material passed through the signal path. Almost by definition audio, being a periodic waveform, is an AC (Alternating Current) signal. DC (direct current) is of the non alternating or periodic variety and thus has no constructive purpose as part of an audio signal. It is merely a constant voltage that is present which can eat up headroom and cause clicks and pops during editing.