Matt Barlow Retires from Iced Earth

korruption

Amateur Dentist
May 13, 2002
Canada
Taken from their official site:

In his heartfelt statement, Barlow cites his commitment to his family and the need for Iced Earth to tour more as the reasons for his retirement; however, he has committed to perform with Iced Earth on all 2011 European festival dates, which will be his last with the band.

Matt Barlow’s official statement is as follows:

“Brothers and Sisters,
“Let me begin by saying how much of an honor it has been to share my time in Iced Earth with Jon and the guys…and with all of you! Since my return to the band in 2007, it has truly been extraordinary. I have had the opportunity to travel the world and see old friends and meet new ones. Though we had originally thought that the Iced Earth touring schedule would be very limited, we were able to play our fair share of concerts.

“During that time we were also able to have a live DVD produced [the forthcoming Festivals of the Wicked]. However, due to the rapidly changing music industry, it has become increasingly clear to recording artists that the only way to keep a band viable and to truly reach its potential is through live performances. That means that a band must reach out to new regions of the globe and become pioneers for their own livelihood. Since 2007, Jon and I have always had the best intentions for the future of Iced Earth, and we still do. However, given the band’s projected touring schedule, Iced Earth’s future and mine must now take separate paths.

“On my departure from Iced Earth in 2003, I made a commitment to my wife and to the idea that we would start, and raise, our family together. Two years later, my first child was born and two years after that, my second. My youngest son was born about a week before Jon asked me to return to Iced Earth. It was a very exciting and emotional time for all of us, but we were all clear on our intentions. It is apparent to us now that regardless of our belief at that time, time can change an intended outcome. In this instance, I hope that change will not be regarded as a bad thing, but rather as a necessary part of evolution.

“Jon and the band must venture into new realms to continue to grow Iced Earth. I commend him for his ideals and wish nothing but to share in his vision. I know that this is not the last time Jon and I will work together, but it will be my last endeavor with Iced Earth. Iced Earth is a name and force of its own. It has been very good to me and has allowed me to live a dream that others would give most anything for. I have been truly blessed to share this experience with everyone. I will continue to support Jon and Iced Earth in every way. I will also continue to create and perform in my own capacity.

“These next months will prove to be a very emotional time for me. I am extremely happy to be able to share the experience with Jon, Brent, Freddie, Troy and the Iced Earth family. I am proud to know them and honored that they consider me their friend. It is going to be phenomenal to share the love of this music during several summer festivals and I know that it will be a time we will never forget.

“Please consider all that I have brought forth and all of Jon’s offerings before passing judgment on the future of Iced Earth. This band has always strived to give its listeners the very best and I know that Jon, as always, will continue to lead that charge.
“To Iced Earth and all of you…I wish you the very best!!!
- Matt”

Band founder and leader Jon Schaffer reacted to his friend’s decision with equal parts sadness and praise.

“I knew Matt wrestled with this for a long, long time,” said Schaffer. “It wasn’t an easy decision for him. But I love him dearly and I can’t fault his reasons.”

Schaffer continued: “Matt is one of the most sincere people I know, and one of the most talented. His departure deeply saddens me, but I hope all fans of Iced Earth will cut him some slack. I wish Matt well, respect him greatly, and I ask everyone else to do the same.”

With a new album in the works, and a world tour pending, Schaffer has already begun the search for a new vocalist.

“I have a few guys in mind,” said Schaffer. “And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. One thing is for certain: we are not looking for a Matt Barlow ‘clone’ – we are looking for a front man that brings power and character of his own to the table. There’s only one Matt, and that era of the band’s history will always hold a special place in my heart.”

:cry:

Well my best wishes to Matt and Jon on their respective paths... It's sad they only released one album after Matt returned though.

I think Clay Barton would make an excellent new singer. Just based on his contribution in Shadow Gallery's song "Venom". I haven't heard much from his main band, Suspyre though. But he can belt out the venomous :)D) as well as great high-pitched vocals. I'm somehow sure that Jon doesn't have him on his list for potential new singers (note that I'm not using the word "replacements"), but just based on that one song where he used excellent aggression, vocal melodies (no surprise there since it is a Shadow Gallery song), and the aforementioned nuts-in-a-vice amazing high singing, he'd fit perfectly.

Anyways best of luck to Iced Earth and hopefully the next album will have something new. :kickass:

This sucks on so many levels. I understand Matts reasons for leaving and I can't fault him for it, but it still sucks. I did finally manage to catch them live back in September 2008 so at least I've seen them with Matt. If I had missed that show I never would have forgiven myself once I heard this news. When I saw them they never played A Question Of Heaven though, so now I'm never going to see that done live with Matt:cry:.

Pretty damn bummed to hear this, but can't blame Matt for his reasons. They are very valid! Thanks for everything you've done with IE and music in general Matt! You'll always be a favorite! Good luck with all that you decide to do now!

He should have just stuck with Pyramaze. They hardly ever tour, so no problem there. And the music was better, too.

I haven't cared for Iced Earth since TGB but it still saddens me to hear this. Best of luck to Matt and his family.

We never know?...maybe Matt and Mike will put out some music together once again- to thier own liking and schedule etc.

Yeah hows about a lineup of Matt, Michael, Niels, Mike Park, and Morton Sandager? :D
*waits and wonders*

Well so much for the Clay Barton scenario. :lol: Hope a lot of Iced Earth fans like "Into Eternity"

In the wake of vocalist Matt Barlow’s retirement, dozens of demos and resumes flooded Iced Earth’s management team. But one name kept popping up – Into Eternity vocalist Stu Block, who has been named the new lead singer for Iced Earth.

stu3.jpg

According to Schaffer, Robert Kampf, CEO of Century Media, early on suggested Block, whose band Into Eternity was previously on the CM label. That reminded Schaffer of one night in September, 2008, when Into Eternity opened for Iced Earth.

“Iced Earth was backstage waiting to go on,” said Schaffer. “We heard one of Stu’s incredible wails. I remember turning to Matt and saying, ‘Damn, that dude has serious range.’”

So while Iced Earth’s management team sifted through the growing number of prospective vocalists, Schaffer got in touch with Block.

After several phone conversations with the then-prospective Iced Earth vocalist, Schaffer asked his manager to e-mail Block several key Iced Earth songs, with the vocals stripped. Block went into his studio and recorded himself singing, then sent the files back to the team.

The result landed Block an intense two days at Schaffer’s studio where the two musicians hit it off.

“I felt a lot of chemistry between us, we knocked out a couple of great original pieces of music in no time” said Schaffer. “He’s very good at coming up with catchy melodies, and will help with lyrical duties as well. There’s no doubt Stu has an amazing vocal range and a lot of energy, but he also has the touring experience, which is a big plus for our plans of performing in all corners of the world.”

In addition, Schaffer said Block has what Iced Earth needs in a front man: “stage presence that includes high energy, passion, and focused rage.”

“Stu is charismatic and understands the depth and varying emotions in Iced Earth’s music,” said Schaffer. “So he will embody not only the emotion of our songs, but he will be able to perform them in a dynamic way. I believe fans are in for some incredible records and live shows in the coming years.”

New Iced Earth vocalist Stu Block concurs: “Iced Earth fans are wonderful, wonderful people,” he said. “The music is so passionate. So they’re passionate, and very loyal to the band. I am, too. I’m a huge fan of Iced Earth myself. So I share that same passion, and I will show it on stage. I think the fans are really going to dig it.”

Block continues: “It’s a huge honor to be doing this, to be part of this team,” he said. “It’s a dream come true, for sure.”

Schaffer is totally stoked. “This is a new beginning,” he said. “It’s game-on time. Iced Earth is going to record and tour like it never has before. The band is really amped-up and ready to hit the ground running in November.”

And to prove it, Iced Earth has released the European leg of a world tour that will take the band to countries it has never previously played. All told, the 2011-2012 Iced Earth world tour will be the largest the band has undertaken since its inception.

I'm listening to some Into Eternity right now and he's pretty good. I hope he can bring a lot to the band and stay around for more than two albums. :D

Personally, I don't care a whole lot for the growling but it's not a huge turnoff either. I wonder how (or if) that will be incorporated into their current songs?

"So how do you see your future with IE?"
"...Yeeeeaahh we're gonna have to go ahead aaaaaaannnd be a little more specific there, that'd be greeeeattt."

Last time I checked though, Stu wasn't doing the death growls for Into Eternity, just the clean vocals.

Check this out. :D

Not unexpectedly, there are already a lot of disrespectful fuckholes that are comparing him to Matt and saying Stu sucks. I don't know what they hope to accomplish. All Matt and Jon asked for was respect and to bear with them and these idiots couldn't even offer that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when Into Eternity opened for Iced Earth. I'll admit, I wasn't that impressed by them when they played, and I remember his vocals being a bit off that night. (mind you Matt was off a bit during the Iced Earth set too- they're still human... sorta...)

Stu does have really good range as Schaffer noted, but whenever I hear his voice I find it... kind of whiny. I haven't listened to much Into Eternity so keep in mind I'm mainly voicing my opinion based on the show. He did do some growling when I saw them play, but most of the growls/screams were handled by backup singers.

Schaffer did say somewhere that the new album is going to be heavier and non-conceptual, so maybe their style is changing a bit? I don't really know if that is true, but it sounds like that's what he's saying. If that's the case, then a lot of changes are happening with the band then and nobody should really be complaining about a vocalist change. Again, how many vocalists have Iced Earth had? Quite a bit, and I didn't think the last Iced Earth album was the greatest. Sure the vocals were good and it was great to have Matt's voice back, but I think the album he did with Pyramaze was much better than Crucible of Man.

Anyways the point I'm trying to make: I'm not really a fan of Into Eternity, didn't give me a good first impression, maybe if I listen to a really good track by them it might change my mind. Iced Earth I'm a huge fan of, I've loved all their singers and though I find Stu to be a strange choice for a vocalist, I'm sure it'll still be an interesting album and I'm sure he'll do fine. He's said many times he's a fan of Iced Earth so I think he knows what the band is about and what to bring to the table.

The only concern I can see is if he's still in Into Eternity, is he going to be in both bands?

Stu will do both bands. Into Eternity has been off and on since their tour supporting IE. Tim has had some serious shit in his life so the bands continuation has been put into question.

If Into Eternity ends. It won't be because of Stu being in IE.

Just put Stu in a more positive light and to prove the naysayers wrong.

When Iced Earth played in Detroit with Into Eternity and Saviors.
If anyone has ever been to Harpos, they will know about the BS that happens there. Remember Tim Roth (Guitar/backing vox) was not on this tour.

For some reason the sound guy couldn't get vocals in the monitors. Before this issue started to cut into Into Eternity's set. Stu said "fuck it, lets just play"

That night he was doing double duty on vox and without monitors.

What was the result you wonder?

To my knowledge he didn't miss a note. At the worst the growling was a little off.

They played this live and he was still hitting the highs.

This is a guy who gives his all.

Fuck the posers. If you love Matt so much respect his decision.
If you love IE so much respect Jon's decision.
REALIZE that Iced Earth REALLY lucked out on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Iced Earth, a special chapter for me.

I loved them until The Glorious Burden was released. It's not only about Ripper's singing though, I think I also would not have liked the album with Matt's vocals much more. Somehow this was the first album where the songs got more and more generic, they simply did not grab me. And it's even worse with Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man. Actually that last album was the proof that Matt cannot outweigh the poor songwriting.

So, to be honest, I don't have any expectations regarding the next album. I surely will check it out, and I guess I even might like the vocals, but I doubt that the songwriting will improve significantly... though I hope it will.

Hey Obs, long time no see...how's life there in Belgium? Too bad the Winterfell board went tits-up, I miss everyone.
Hey Dog, yeah, too bad about the Winterfell board. I kept checking back there the first couple of weeks/months thinking Robb was working on it or something but eventually I just stopped bothering.

Well, Iced Earth, a special chapter for me.

I loved them until The Glorious Burden was released. It's not only about Ripper's singing though, I think I also would not have liked the album with Matt's vocals much more. Somehow this was the first album where the songs got more and more generic, they simply did not grab me. And it's even worse with Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man. Actually that last album was the proof that Matt cannot outweigh the poor songwriting.

So, to be honest, I don't have any expectations regarding the next album. I surely will check it out, and I guess I even might like the vocals, but I doubt that the songwriting will improve significantly... though I hope it will.
That's pretty much exactly how I feel.

That being said, from the few short bits I saw of this Stu Block guy (in the Youtube vid posted above) I have to say I think he'll fit Iced Earth infinitely better than Tim Owens ever did. It remains to be seen how Jon's songwriting has evolved, though, because as you say, it has been pretty poor over the last 2 or 3 albums indeed (personal opinion, of course). Not having high hopes for that but who knows...

Okay, so going by Matt's statement...

It is going to be phenomenal to share the love of this music during several summer festivals and I know that it will be a time we will never forget.

... I figured he will still be performing at the Metal Meeting festival here in Belgium at the end of this month. Annoyed that I never got to see them live with Barlow (bought a ticket for a show of theirs before TGB came out, but it got cancelled and soon after that Barlow left the band) I went and bought two tickets for the festival.

Now, I just wanna be sure that Matt will still be performing at that festival. Has anyone got more info about whether or not he is, at this moment, still with the band? It would suck big time if I bought two (expensive) tickets to see Barlow and then not get to see him.

Great. I already bought a ticket for their show here in November to check the new guy out, but wanted to catch them with Barlow as well.

Thanks for the answer.