Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
Hey

I was wondering what kind of room (except for a studio) would be
good for recording my amp.

Our rehearsal room is kinda big. It's in the basement in one of our schools
around here but because of the fact it's that big I'm not sure if it's good for recording the amp. It has some kind of isolation on the walls so they're not reflecting too much. Nothing professional at all. The door is not isolated at all but I have no possibility to record it at home.

On the Hatesphere DVD they were using mattresses to isolate the amp.
Means they had one on the left, one on the right and they used a blanket between the cabinet and the amp to isolate the backsight of the cabinet.

Does that make sense if the room isn't that good sounding?
What is this putting the amp in a corner thing all about? Or should
I put it in the middle of the room?

to be honest, i you can crank the amp, with a dynamic mic in front of it, you really wont hear the room,

putting blankets around it etc, will only serve to make it muddy, if noise isnt a consideration, then the middle of the room is just fine.
and lift it off the floor if you can

lift it off the floor? right now we have the amps on 30cm high beer-boxes.
do you mean as such? we have carpet on the floor also...

and yeah, no proplem to crank it up.

Yeh I think surrounding the cab with anything is not necessary and even though a mattress is soft, may still cause some lower frequencies to reflect back.

It's a nice big room but absoloutely not made up for recording. It doesn't sound like a hall or something. The ceiling is very low. To me it sounds kinda dry but I'm everything else then a professional...

Yeh I think surrounding the cab with anything is not necessary and even though a mattress is soft, may still cause some lower frequencies to reflect back.

aside from any reflections that may occur, i think that the mattresses would also absorb most of the high-end...and leave you with a bunch of muddy/boxy crap

but you never know until you try

Not really sure what side of this argument I'd be on, but here's a photo of someone who does think boxing the amps in is a good idea....

From GGGarth's studio page.

217175182_l.jpg

After finding the right speaker to mic, I've put pillows against the others to eliminate phasing from their bleed, but some people like that, a 57 has a pretty decent null and close up won't get a lot of room sound.

All the way against the wall, the amp will be able to have a huge amount of air between it and the other wall, making it better for the mattress idea if it's like 6' away...too close might muddy it up, too far won't do a lot, but anything that goes through it will comback and hit it again. Try it.

Barring all the experimentation, take a plug into the FX loop if it has one and put that to the recorder, then impulse it.