Maxon ROD881

commandante

Zealot
Apr 23, 2002
Hey Andy!

What do you think about this tube pedal? Do you think it is worth paying 275 bucks for it? I don't have the chance to try it myself, but I heard some sound samples and they blew me away. How do you think it will sound combined with the Mark II head I just bought? Would it provide me even more options in overdrive and distortion than Mark II combined with my Maxon OD-808? I try to play a lot of different stuff(ranging from Gilmour to Loomis), would this thingie help me in my tone quest?

Thanks, I can find a lot of good answers for my tone questions here. Mostly without asking the questions myself, which is nice.

Now searching about this stuff I found out that lots of other brands have this kind of tube distortion pedals. Electro-Harmonix, Hughes and Kettner, Hot Chili Tubester etc. So is the Maxon the best option? Are these tube pedals (distortion, compressor, EQ) worth the money? How are they supposed to be used? Through a tube amp, solid state amp or like amp modelers straight to the hdd?

The 'tubester' is a good pedal, cheap too. The best tube pedal I ever used though was the H&K, very nice sound. I sold mine to my mate who wanted it to play Pink Floyd covers with his band!

Since these pedals aren't pre-amps they need to go in front of an amp to sound their best. I always thought a Fender DeVille was the best amp for this kind of pedal.

thanks for suggestions, now only someone with Maxon experience would answer this thread.