May 2nd gig - Prog Nation ( Spoilers )

soa_bass

Jun 1, 2007
It was :OMG: :kickass::headbang::puke::loco:

and probably more

Three was insane. Their jam session pwned face and I got all of their autographs, shook hands with I think Joey and the percussionist, and I bear-hugged the drummer. They are tied as my favorite act of the night, and they'd probably be tops if I wasn't so attached to Opeth. These guys were just so crazy and fresh.

BTBAM surprised me. Two songs... they ranged from metalcore-ish to jazz to country... it was wicked

Opeth was BRUTAL
I think this was the set-list or close to it

Masters Apprentices
The Baying Of The Hounds
In My Time of Need
Wreath
Heir Apparent
The Drapery Falls

I though Axe was kick-a**. A lot of people thought he was choppy but I thought he was just spot-on and straight-forward with good swing. Fred made a tiny mistake in Heir Apparent, but it was noticeable, and Mikael pointed it out at the end of the song and then he said something like " And I f*ck up all of the time... " and TBOTH and Wreath were INSANE! Mikael made so many jokes it's hard to remember them all. The one about the ballad's rocked.

DT was cool to. I thought Labrie's vocals were too loud, but overall they were what you'd expect from them. Also, Dark Nintendo Night = o_O

You wouldn't happen to have noted the start and run times of the bands, would you? I'm just trying to plan my boston trip and would love to know when Opeth hits the stage...

MG

Holy crap !!! Wreath LIVE ?!?!?! I thought they never did that one live, I need footage of that !

Wreath was amazing live as was Baying of the Hounds. Having the Dream Theater fans there kind of detracted from Opeth's overall support and crowd response. The crowd seemed sort of dead for a lot of the songs which was very disappointing. In between songs though, I could hear people all around me saying that Opeth sounded great so they probably just couldn't process it all right away. It will be great when they come back by themselves later this year, which Mikael said theyd do.

I believe the times were:
times are around these at least lengthwise
3: 7:45-8:15
BTAM: 8:30-9
Opeth: 9 something - 10 ish
DT: A long time after that haha

spoilers:::

It was hilarious when mikael said dream theater could outplay every member of the band but they dont have this: "GRUNT: OOOOOOGH!" and overall it was a very heavy set and evil sounding, one of the more evil sounding setlists that I have seen from Opeth. I thought btam was absolutely horrible due mostly to their singer and the unflowing changes, stuff i've seen from hundreds of openers before... just not for me. Three on the other hand started off kind of DT worship but ended up playing some great progressive/melodic stuff and put on a great show. Dream Theater was amazing live but get kind of boring after a bit due to it being like your watching a dvd of them the whole time ha ha. They had some awesome special effects and such. I felt a little sad at the show because Opeth really did set an unmatched bar of intensity and melody which was kind of trumped by a great band but a lesser climax. I wanted them to come back out after drapery falls and do demon of the fall :(

hah also there was a bunch of DT noobs saying "awe man opeths drummer uses a DW kit they must suck" . And I have a friend that was at the DW shop when opeth came to check out the drums, I didn't say anything to them, I let Axe do the talking with his sticks. I can't wait till after their new album comes out. I think it would be great to see them play 2-3 new songs like they did for ghost reveries.

Wow thats pretty lame.
Only 30 minutes for BTBAM and 1 hour for Opeth? Happy I held out for their headlining tour in the Fall (since Prog Nation doesn't even come to Philadelphia).
edit: Still sounds like an awesome set, but I wish they'd have done co-headliners on this tour.

Wow thats pretty lame.
Only 30 minutes for BTBAM and 1 hour for Opeth? Happy I held out for their headlining tour in the Fall (since Prog Nation doesn't even come to Philadelphia).
edit: Still sounds like an awesome set, but I wish they'd have done co-headliners on this tour.

Progressive Nation goes to a place in Jersey that's practically in Philadelphia. It's like how the Jets and Giants play in a place in Jersey that's practically in New York.

DT cannot be compared to Opeth, in last october I was in DT gig and solo's were extremely repetitive. I nearly slept.. That can't happen with Opeth :p But anyway I would give anything to be at that gig :(

Wow thats pretty lame.

Has it been confirmed that they'll do a headlining tour this fall? If so, I'm def going to go! Wish I could make it on this tour but they aren't coming anywhere near me.

Awesome review! I'm going to the May 16th show and I'm super-pumped. I adore all four bands playing, so I'm sure it's going to be an awesome night.

Thanks for the review, I was interested in seeing what they would play. I hope they stick with that setlist because it owns. I'll be seeing them in Atlanta on the 28th.

Great setlist, thank god they picked the crusher off GR.. and wreath.... woww
But no Demon of the fall ??

I loved it, it took me 5 hours to drive from San Diego to Los Angeles. I head banged for all of Wreath \m/