maybe it's just because it's pretty late (05:45 AM) and i'm getting kinda tired

Demilich said:
i'd be very passively interested in hearing/reading lyrics to some of this real hip-hop, 'cause odds are we're judging it just as badly as those who think metal is Korn and Linkin Park.
yea probably, god forbid some of us be open-minded :ill:

the only 3 hip-hop acts i can think of where i went "that's pretty cool" are heiroglyphics, jurassic 5, and saul williams. if you're cruising in a convertible they're pretty cool. i respect their talent but honestly can't listen for more than a couple songs before i'm itchin' to put something else on.

and god dammit i hate mac dre. i dunno if anyone else has heard mac dre but GOD DAMMIT I HATE FUCKING MAC DRE.

one time some black guy came into one of my university classes to do "Slam Poetry" (i.e. rapping without a beat that doesn't wanna be called rapping so people with brains don't immediately disqualify it from being good) and it still sucked. He was talented, you could tell, but fuck, his lyrics were terribly contrived 'cause they had to rhyme, and were about stupid black people issues.

i've been to a slam poetry reading and it was actually pretty cool, and the best poets were the ones who weren't cliched at all. i saw a lot of pretty neat original shit. i actually would strongly recommend it to the open-minded among us; although there was a lot of unoriginal, contrived angsty stuff there were one or two really amazing poets there.

KILL TULLY said:
ps: somone should make a Hessian version of this. Translate this ManOwaR/sweet thrash song into english.

The gods made heavy metal, and saw that it was good
Here Manowar seems to express belief in a divine source of the music that serves as their inspiration, and by assigning it a divine origin, implies the superiority of metal over all other music. Another interpretation is that they use the term "gods" in homage to the originators of metal. Puzzlingly, they use a moderate term of value when describing the gods' approval of metal, but this is clearly just for the purpose of rhyming.
They said to play it louder than hell, we promised that we would
Here Manowar's use of creational metaphors in the advent of metal begins to create some delusions, beginning with the assumption that the imaginary gods have assigned them with the role of performing this music at an unspecified, but impossibly loud volume. We are also assured that Manowar shows a religious zeal in their belief that they are divine messengers and that performing metal is a divine duty.
When losers say it's over with, you know that it's a lie
Manowar use the next verse to attack the critical reception of metal, especially when its long-term viability is brought into question, and assure their faithful that such charges are riddled with falsehood, who evidently share their disdain. There is a certain paranoia evident in these words, an unspoken implication that Manowar are being persecuted for daring to play metal, and they resort to an ad hominem attack upon its detractors, suggesting that people who criticize metal have been plagued with failure.
The gods made heavy metal, and it's never gonna die
Manowar once again makes the claim that metal is of divine origin, rephrasing it as an assurance against its enemies. They also borrow from creation myths by stating that metal's lifespan is eternal, with the subtext that they will continue to honor their dieties' request to perform metal at an intensity greater than anyone else can produce, and stand against any challenges to its existence.