Maybe this will help...

uvaldo

Premium Member
May 2, 2002
Pasadena, TX
Visit site
While listening to Soundtrack To Your Escape I noticed several musical styles at play in addition to the often mentioned nu-metal (among them: Hardcore, Melodic Metalcore/Emocore [kinda ironic], Punk, etc.), which made me really question whether or not the band was simply trying to appeal to fans of music that is popular (at the moment, anyway). This prompted me to look up some old interviews, in an attempt at getting inside the minds behind IN FLAMES. Now, I always knew they were fans of Slipknot, but in researching the band I also found that they enjoy the music of Linkin Park, Korn, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and more. See the links below for proof. Hopefully this will provide some insight for any who are interested understanding the band's present musical direction(s). Most importantly, this should shut up those who have denied any nu-metal influence for so long (up to and including the OBVIOUS Jon Davis influenced vocal stylings and Disturbedriffs on the new album). :)

http://www.infernaldominion.com/inflames.html

http://members.aol.com/enslain/interviews/inflames.html

http://www.tartareandesire.com/interviews/inflames2.html

fool! lol ..good reaserche..but ..im in a band and all musicisians in the band has influences from all sorts off musics..and we play death metal..its normal..it does not mean you sound nu-metal cause you listen to linkin park...If you read well the reviews..they say real good things to explain r2r...Its makes lot of sense..and I think that r2r is different but is a damn good album...if they are able to get influencew from pop and make good music well good! But they dont!!! They listen to that music! Doesent mean the same thing! But good job anyways! HAd fun reading the reviews!

Just to clarify, I never mean't to imply that a band's being open to a particular style of music would inevitably cause the sound to carry over into a their own, however, in the case of The In Flames, I think it's pretty obvious that this is the case. To those who question whether or not they have been influenced by Pop music, I must ask you, how do you explain their focus on big, catchy choruses? :)

To those who question whether or not they have been influenced by Pop music, I must ask you, how do you explain their focus on big, catchy choruses?
I suppose the most obvious question is "what difference does it make if they've been influenced by pop music?". But secondly, it's not as if catchy choruses in metal is a new thing!! In any case, Clayman was full of catchy choruses too. The change between Clayman and the new ones is that the melody moved from the guitar to the vocals.

I dont think he means only the new albums...in flames were always different from the other melodic death metal. What you need to ask your self is: does it really bother? Why would metal be just influenced by metal? Cant a good metal song be easy to play? If its good whats the probleme?

Dark idea said:
I dont think he means only the new albums...in flames were always different from the other melodic death metal. What you need to ask your self is: does it really bother? Why would metal be just influenced by metal? Cant a good metal song be easy to play? If its good whats the probleme?
I certainly don't mind. Make no mistake, the purpose of this thread IS NOT to bash In Flames, but rather, to encourage understanding of this fairly controversial band, not only among it's critics, but it's supporters as well. The way I see it, someone who blindly supports the band and goes around saying, for example, "They're not at all nu-metal" shows no more understanding than someone that is quick to go around calling them "nu-metal sellouts"...and both of these do nothing more than promote mindless bickering.