Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao

derbeder

in a vicious circle
Jan 22, 2006
lost
OrdoAbChaoCover.jpg

Now that the new Mayhem is out, what did you guys make of it? I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but there are some great moments on this one, especially on the song, "Illuminate Eliminate". I wasn't too keen on the "necro as fuck" production at first, but now I think it definitely adds to what they were after here. I enjoyed the way some songs came off with the clean production on Chimera, but this is a different beast. The song structures are even less conventional and simplistic here, so the songs are actually even more chaotic than before even though the tempos are slower than anything they've done on previous albums. Because of that, it is somewhat difficult to tell one song from another on the first few listens. Hellhammer's drumwork is pretty complex and is almost always at the forefront - more so than the guitar and almost inaudible bass. Atilla's vocals really shine on the album - his shrieks are especially eerie. At some points the atmosphere really makes one feel suffocated.
This album needs a proper, detailed review. There are a whole lot of things going on in the music and the lyrics are more meaningful than most in black metal. As of now my impression is indeed very positive.

hummm... I got this off kerrazy like a month ago and it's been in my download folder. haven't listened to it yet :oops: :woops: :mybaddawg: