Mayhem vs Darkthrone

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Both similar bands in many ways, but who is the blackest of the black, the tr00est of the tr00, the kvltest of the kvlt?

You get the idea - who do you prefer? Mayhem or Darkthrone?

Vote, and give reasons!

edit: fuck, forgot to create a poll...oh well, still give an answer. :D

I prefer Darkthrone, though De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is really good (it is the only Mayhem CD I have heard). A Blaze In The Northern Sky is my favorite black metal CD. But De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is better than some Darkthrone CDs, like Plaguewielder and Hate Them.

Life Sucks said:
But De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is better than some Darkthrone CDs, like Plaguewielder and Hate Them.
Most definitely. DMDS is a decent album. Plaguewielder and Hate Them are both piles of trash.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Most definitely. DMDS is a decent album. Plaguewielder and Hate Them are both piles of trash.
Yeah, I don't like Plaguewielder and Hate Them much. The problem is, that those are the latest two Darkthrone CDs, so I hope that this doesn't mean that they will never release a really good CD again.

I don't prefer either. I think the material on Deathcrush is the best out of either band, but A Blaze In The Northern Sky edges out De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Live In Leipzig is also very nice. Transilvanian Hunger just annoys me, the production is just too bad, so that's not pushing me toward Darkthrone. However, I like the new Darkthrone, but not the new Mayhem, so that's where the balance is.

i prefer what mayhem did when they had dead, but that was only a short time
but under a funeral moon and a few other outstanding albums by darkthrone
i'll pick darkthrone because they havent sold out like mayhem fags have

Darkthrone annihilates Mayhem(Old, the new shit doesn't even deserve to be mentioned). Especially the first four after Soulside, with Transilvanian Hunger being the peak of their career. I admit the latest efforts by Darkthrone are barely even a shadow of what they used to, there are still some decent songs. Mayhem is too hyped and grossly overrated.

wha? Thanks for what? What did I do? :err:

I agree with you, but I wouldn't compare them to Abruptum. Darkthrone and Mayhem are still actually metal, and music..... Abruptum is a noise project nowadays; but I agree that the harshness and evilness of their sound has always been more palpable than either of those other two bands.

Grand Declaration of War is the single greatest Black Metal album ever.

So, Mayhem.

$0.02

The true mayhem annihilated all opposing forces, but Darkthrone are and were fucking great. Too bad mayhem turned to techno crap after the death of the core.

I think De Mysteriis Dom Sathans is better than pretty much all of Darkthrone's records, but Mayhem has only.. well.. 2 great records, whereas Darkthrone has got several great ones.