Mayhem vs Darkthrone

Dakrthrone by a mile: They have 4 classic albums (A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Under A Funeral Moon, Panzerfaust, Transylvanian Hunger). They have had some mediocre albums but their new one is great. Darkthrone always remained true to the black metal spirit (after Soulside Journey anyway) and you gotta love Fenriz' sense of humour. :worship:

Mayhem have one classic album: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. They have relased more redundant live albums than they have official releases (only Live in Leipzig has any value, that being historical more than anything else). Their newer material is pretentious and mediocre, I don't fault them for trying to experiment but their experimentation has failed. I'm starting to agree with the people who state Mayhem's popularity was due to the activites of Dead and Euronymous more than anything else.

Somberlain said:
Darkthrone annihilates Mayhem(Old, the new shit doesn't even deserve to be mentioned). Especially the first four after Soulside, with Transilvanian Hunger being the peak of their career. I admit the latest efforts by Darkthrone are barely even a shadow of what they used to, there are still some decent songs. Mayhem is too hyped and grossly overrated.
I'm inclined to agree. There are a few superb Mayhem songs though. First two on De Mysteriis, for instance.

This is like discussing what my favourite terminal illness is.
Though, if we're playing with the tr00ness meter, surely the answer is Mayhem.
You can't argue with two dead members.