Meads of Asphodel

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
So what's the verdict? I am constantly reading hype about this band, even Aquarius Records - the most eclectic store I've come across - have gone apeshit over Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua.

BWD - write a friggin' review already! (Good tip: Writing reviews for albums you buy on a daily basis forces you to actually listen to them). :loco:

OK I bought it already.

Here's the write up from Aquarius:

The UK's amazing, eccentric Meads Of Asphodel are back with their second, long-awaited full-length. From the get-go, this had an inside line on becoming an AQ Record of the Week -- indeed, we were so excited about its impending release that even before any of our wholesale suppliers had imports of this in stock, Andee went ahead and mail-ordered two copies from England, one for himself and one as a Christmas gift for Allan! Now, we've managed to get copies for the store to share with all of you.

What's so special about the Meads Of Asphodel, besides their unusual name? Well, if you've been a long-time AQ list reader/customer maybe you'll remember how much we liked their debut, The Excommunication of Christ. Well as good as that crackpot example of medieval metal was, this new one is even more esoteric and ridiculous and incredible.

As AQ's coverage of the genre has demonstrated, black metal can be a lot of different things. In the Meads of Asphodel's case, it IS many different things, all at the same time! First off, apparently nobody told them that an ostensibly black metal band shouldn't write pop songs. Sure, they are really really heavy and decidedly grim, but Meads have a pop sensibility that can't be denied. The album's second track, "God Is Rome", will have you staring at your stereo as its gruff-voiced chugging brutality gives way to an acoustic guitar lick and subsequent pop hook that is more Nirvana than necro.

Not to suggest that this isn't a massively metal album. It is. Their brand of metal is like Venom mixed with Bal-Sagoth: sparkling keyboards strewn over rough-hewn riffage and pounding drums. They're also quite psychedelic (drugs involved for sure), with weird changes and spacey synths. Landing rocketships in the Middle Ages, Meads make for a creditable space rock band. Indeed, these Hawkwind obsessives do a killer Hawkwind cover ("Utopia") with two actual Hawkwind members sitting in!

Other guests on this album include Mirai from another AQ fave, Japan's Sigh, one of the only other "black metal" bands on the planet as far-out as the Meads, and Vincent Crowley, somewhat infamous as an underground death metal Satanist. His presence, however cartoonish, illustrates another important point about this record. As random and spicy a goulash their music is, Meads remain a steadfastly black metal band where it most counts: in their opposition to God and religion. Indeed, unlike the majority of black metal acts whose anti-Christian, anti-clerical, pro-Satan stance is indeed just that, a stance or pose, just to conform to the standard black metal aesthetic of being "evil", Meads of Asphodel seem to take this issue more seriously. What we mean is that their lyrics are more about WHY they don't believe in God, than about how cool that makes them.

So it turns out that as tongue-in-cheek as so much about them seems (from the cover pics of the band in the guise of armored knights looking rather more hapless than intimidating, to such song titles as "On Graven Images I Glide Beyond The Monstrous Gates Of Pandemonium To Face The Baptised Warriors Of Yahweh In The Skull-littered Plain Of Esdraelon") they actually have a message, if you will. Delivered quite bizarrely and confusingly of course. And that's what we like best, the confounding mixture of the serious and the silly where irony is left in the dust, replaced by question marks and half-smiles, and gleeful enjoyment of some remarkable music.

This album is definitely the sort of thing that we at AQ think will both satisfy open-minded metal fans and provide a varied enough dish for folks seeking something weird on the pop/spacerock/electronic side of things. Indeed, did we mention that the aforementioned lengthy song title belongs to a ten minute epick of When-like eclecticism, that brings in techno electronica, Middle Eastern music, and even some acid-jazz organ jamming -- utterly instrumental except for samples of an utterly blasphemous nature? This is indicative in many ways of their bizarro modus operandi.

Appealing in so many ways to the extremes of what we might call the AQ-aesthetic, it would have been hard *not* to make this a Record Of The Week.

The Sigh bit sold me. Sigh are one of the greatest bands on the planet don't you know....

hahahahahahaha...

Meads of Asphodel are great if you are into avante-garde black metal. so yeah, there's a definite Sigh connection (not to mention the involvement on the new one). fuck man, there's a massive Hawkwind influence as well; on Jihad, they cover "Assassins of Allah". how often do you hear Hawkwind merged with eastern-tinged black metal??? i think you will enjoy "exhuming...". then again, their stuff is either hit or miss.

this reviews upon purchasing interests me. but hey, i bought Crowpath today and listened to it! crazy, i know... if i reviewed after one listen, though, could you imagine what my neurosis reviews would be like? or Fantomas???

I haven't heard the new one. I used to have The Excommunication of Christ and found it rather dull.

Buy Excommunicating Christ if your into the more primitive stuff. I wouldnt really call Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua avantgarde, but its more "progressive." Still good though.

The verdict is in: Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua is a fucking masterpiece....as long as you can live with London Calling being slammed into a wall by Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, only then to be drowned by Hail Horror Hail and later resuscitated by Fat of the Land - all of which being commandeered by his necromantic warlordship highness, Hawkwind (being sexually molested by Surfer Rosa).

Ignore the stupid costumes and bad teeth though.

Black Winter Day said:
i listened to this again last night and it is definitely the love-child of Hawkwind and Sigh. just remember... god is fucking with you!
"God is fucking with you"

I LOVE THAT BIT. That reminds me so much of the Swans in the way it repeats over and over. Mass hypnosis!

They've even (inadvertently) fucked with the intonations in the sentence to make it more ambiguous:

A. "God is fucking with you" -> He is with you everywhere you go, you can't avoid it

B. "God is fucking with you" -> He is lying to your bitch ass

NEW MEADS OF ASPHODEL IS OUT!!!! Although this is a special EP...

meadmillcd.jpg

From Aquarius Records...

What happens when a band that's pretty darn strange as it is on their "proper" albums, goes and lets their hair down (and takes their helmets off) and does a limited-edition release documenting live-in-the-studio alternate versions of some of their songs alongside a previously unheard extended epic entitled "My Beautiful Genocide"? Well if you spin The Mill Hill Sessions by English black metal weirdos the Meads Of Asphodel you'll find out...suffice to say, anyone who was amused and/or amazed by their previous efforts will find this equally far out, or further even. Their spaced-out black metal blend of Venom and Hawkwind is as extreme and eccentric as ever here. Actual Hawkwind alumni Alan Davey and Huw Lloyd Langton are heard jamming alongside Meads band members Metatron, Urkkarmeel et. al. for these sessions, by the way! Intended for loyal fans, this cd isn't seeing wide distribution and we probably won't have it for very long...

First, you get six tracks originally recorded for a British metal radio show, including versions of tracks from their The Excommunication of Christ and Exhuming The Grave Of Yeshua albums, and their split ep with Mayhem. And they also do an unexpected cover of Sepultura's punkish "Refuse/Resist" as well! Then you get a second session, one long 20+ minute track that's described as a "work in progress", and it is quite a schizophrenic piece of work indeed, as absurd and insane as you'd expect. Stopping and starting with sloppy abandon, there's metal leads, many jangly acoustic parts, black metal blur, punk breaks (sounding like Stiff Little Fingers says Byram), jazzy interludes, all sorts of stuff thrown in, including vocalist Metatron's endless, half-whispered, half-growled poetic sermon/rant on the subject of...well you can try and figure it out.

Compared to your (ahem) "normal" Meads albums, these Mill Hill Sessions employ no studio trickery or extra keyboard overdubs...these tracks are more stripped-down and guitar-oriented. And since apparently they've never played a live show, this is the next best thing, although in the rehearsal space/studio (as pictured in the booklet) the band don't wear the medieval armor with which they are normally fitted out on their album covers and other photo shoots. Shocking! They do promise that their next release will see them back in their "helms and mail" however.

Has anyone heard the new one yet? I'm still trying to find a place which sells it for fairly cheap and doesn't require a credit card...