Megadeth - Th1irt3en

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
Picked this up today with some trepidation I must admit after hearing a lot of pretty ordinary feedback about the record.

Well, I've listened to it all the way through twice now, and I have got one word for it that sums up my feelings: Uninspired.

It's not awful, far from it. There's some great Mustaine grooves and layered riffing throughout, and Mustaine's singing is actually very good by his standards. It's just that we have all heard these songs before on every Megadeth record from CTE / Youthanasia onwards. But sadly it's just very pedestrian for me so far, and left me wanting to do little but turn back to Unto the Locust and Worship Music in a hurry!!!

Anyone else?

That sums it up pretty much word for word for me. I can honestly say that I haven't been excited at all to hear this album. Megadeth used to be my favorite band, so the fan in me wanted to get excited but it just wasn't happening. Maybe it's because Endgame is only 2 years old, maybe it's because I'd already heard half the album, maybe it's the stupid straight-out-of-1998 spelling of the name...or maybe I'm just bored with the band, who knows.

So for the first time ever I downloaded a leaked Megadeth album and I wasn't impressed. I think uninspired and safe are the right words to describe 13.

It's great to have Junior back where he belongs though!

Yeah it leaked about a week ago Johnnie and it's on the shelves too - here at least.

I'm persisting with it and there's some cool tracks on it. There's some very average ones too.
Mustaine has definately been attending the Dr Seuss School for Lyric Writers leading up to this one!!

Pretty much what I expected after United Abominations and Endgame - some good tracks and some filler. As ever musicianship top-notch and the vocals and lyrics an acquired taste.