Melodic Death Metal with Mixing Files!

I went ahead and did one because why not. This is the first song I have mixed from scratch on my new Yamaha HS5s and I think the results are pretty decent for about 2 hours' work:

Guitars are your provided 5150s because they sounded nice and I could instantly mix them without problems. Drums are Superior (layered Avatar kit and Metal Machine snare/kick), bass I put through waves GTR and TSE R47 to add some grit and life. If I had been less lazy I would have gone and automated the panning on the vocal tracks but unfortunately I didn't really want to go re-arranging everything just so the backing vocals were properly separated. Very dense mix, took a bit of careful EQ sculpting to prevent the drums and vocals from getting lost.

Cool song, reminds me a lot of Insomnium. Thanks for providing the raw tracks.

EDIT: Updated, with the power of Waves LinMB and L3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice glue. Everything seems well put together. There is a fizziness on the guitars or cymbals that could be LPF to tighten up in the intro
After the distorted intro fade up (which is cool) - I was wanting a bigger and cleaner sounding mix
Listening on: Headphones, boombox

Here's my humble attempt to mix and master this awesome song :

No automation, I don't know how to it ^^

Cheers

Thanks for sharing! I also used various AxeFx amp models for reamping.

Iam a bit late I know hehe I like your song very much, it sound brutal and amazinly with all the atmospere,so awesome! \m/ Here's my try, I thought I should do it a different heavy way in the mix, Iam a beginner, thats my first session of mixing a full Track with Vocals too. I wanted to keep your killer 5150 guitar clips but in the end i Re-amped the DI's through my Axe FX II with TS808 Drive - EVH 5153 model Red channel and Mesa 4x12 (Greenbacks) cab.
Was a lot fun working on this track, :heh: Tough one for me, spent a few days on mix & master

Heeey so I am suuuper late then... :p
I just registered in the forums, I want to improve my mixing skills, and I am not very expert in metal.
I hope to get lots of feedback from whoever likes to comment my work.

Edit: I updated (re-uploaded) my mix (bought Slate Drums during black Friday sale :p ) and then did a master - which honestly I think I never got anything to sound this huge... I am just very proud!

Last edited:
Thanks for the files Roflsauras! This track really reminded me of Insomnium who are one of my favorites. I really enjoyed mixing it.