Melodic Death Metal with Mixing Files!

I actually got a hold of all my equipment from our practice pad. I reamped the song using my Baron Custom Amps K88 and a Bogner 4x12 (V30s) with a 57.

I think it came out pretty sick. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A rough draft of my mix, probably gonna change the cab impulses for the rhythm guitars so they are more prominent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Song man. I love such Insomnium wibe!
I guess you used the Cobra Cab? Do you mind sharing the 5150 setting? Im still struggling with a decent tone trough a standard (non mesa) v30 cab but yours is awesome :D

Who is the vocalist? Can I have him? <3

I'm the vocalist! And everything else haha. So you can have me

Nice Song man. I love such Insomnium wibe!
I guess you used the Cobra Cab? Do you mind sharing the 5150 setting? Im still struggling with a decent tone trough a standard (non mesa) v30 cab but yours is awesome :D

It is the Cobra cab. 5150 settings were

TS9
Drive 0
Tone 5
Level 7

Pre 5
Low 7
Mid 1.5
High 5.5
Presence 7.5
Resonance 10
Post 2

I'm realizing more and more than mic positioning is SO critical to your tone. I'm also finding that 10-20 degrees off axis kills a lot of the high end harsh stuff in my tone.

SICK fucking (especially kick) drum sound!!!

WHat'd you use? Your mix could be great if you lowered the drums and balanced things a bit more level-wise...

Thanks Charles! Yeah, I wasn't too stoked on fader levels either. As an experiment I put the drums and some strings on TOUCH and lowered and raised volumes just like I used to on my Korg D16 back in the day. I wanted that unpredictable, dynamic vibe, but I think it just ended up backfiring on me.

Anyway, kick is Slate kick 5 and black mixed 50/50 blended with a sample I recorded here.. all sent to a single channel with average compression, boost at 55 and 200, cut at 600, some reverb and a lot of parallel compression (30dB GR). I'd say about half of the kick and snare sound you hear is coming from that parallel comp track.