Female fronted melodic death metal (Includes RAW's for your mixing pleasure)

MartijnPaauwe

Mar 11, 2008
Dutchieland
www.mirdyn.com
Some of you might read it, but my band Nephylim released it's EP last month.
This EP was produced, recorded, mixed & mastered by me.

Most of this knowledge I gained from this forum over the last couple of years, so now I give back to you.
All the raw files from one of our songs called 'The Fallen'

REFERENCE MIX:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/419882/06 The Fallen.mp3

All drums are real, tuned and played well (I hope :D)
Guitars and bass contain DI's as re-amped tracks

THE FILES!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0249y1wurnoigpu/Nephylim - The Fallen RAWS.zip?dl=0

NOTE:
If you intent to use files for say promotional material for your studio, always throw in a link to our website (www.nephylim.com) and credit me as producer and engineer.
Give credit where credit is due!

Hope you guys enjoy and happy mixing! :)

Nice song ! Thanks for sharing :)
I downloaded the tracks, and might give it a go.

Just one question : I quickly checked the individual tracks, is it possible to have the raw tom tracks without strip silence ?
I thought you cut em a bit short (I like to split tom tracks in 2 : 1 high track cut short, and 1 low track cut longer, to preserve sustain)

EDIT : also, do you have some kind of guitar pro file of the song ?
I ask because I eventually want to try to replace the bass DI with midi bass.
It will save the hassle to do the conversion with Melodyne, check mistakes in pitch/timing...etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the nice words gents! Appreciate it :)

Mix sounds cool! Guitars only sound very harsh to my ears and there is something really whacky going on at 1:18 with the drums, definitely not how they should sound.

Nice song ! Thanks for sharing :)
I downloaded the tracks, and might give it a go.

Just one question : I quickly checked the individual tracks, is it possible to have the raw tom tracks without strip silence ?
I thought you cut em a bit short (I like to split tom tracks in 2 : 1 high track cut short, and 1 low track cut longer, to preserve sustain)

EDIT : also, do you have some kind of guitar pro file of the song ?
I ask because I eventually want to try to replace the bass DI with midi bass.
It will save the hassle to do the conversion with Melodyne, check mistakes in pitch/timing...etc.

You can find the unstripped toms here https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7dyrub98e3f4o6/TOMS.zip?dl=0
You mean one tom track stripped and processed and one unstripped processed with a HPF or something? Never heard of that one, could be interesting :)

Unfortunately no GP files, but I do think the bass is played well and we took a lot of time checking tunings

Amazing dude, thanks a lot !

Sorry about the bass, I wasn't saying it's played bad or anything like that.
It's more of a tone issue ; the lows are sounding pretty big, but to my ears it lacks something in the mids and highs/air region, sounds a bit muffled. EDIT : is that a P-Bass of some sort ?
It's just after a quick listen anyway, I'll check that more in depth when starting to reamp...etc (and that's why I like having bass MIDI too, to A/B with real DI while sending it to my reamp chain).

About the toms processing, I first heard of this in the Kurt Ballou creative live course.
For any tom track :
- duplicate it
- HPF one track version to taste (~600 Hz is a good starting point), to keep only the attack. Let's call this track TOM HI.
- LPF the other track to taste (around 2-300 Hz) to keep only the sustain in the lows. Let's call this track TOM LO.

Now, you can do your normal manual gating / strip silence and fades, based on these 2 tracks.
TOM HI track can be very short, especially at the end of a fill, because all you need on it is stick attack (a tom don't have a lot of sustain in the mids/highs anyway).
TOM LO track can sustain way longer, even after the end of a fill followed with a crash hit, avoiding any cymbal bleed because of the LPF.

That way, you can have tom tracks that sustain long enough without ugly cymbals bleed.

A simpler and quicker option to do this is to use multiband downward expansion on a single track (the "Nolly gating trick"), allowing the highs to pass through for a specific time, only when a tom hit occurs.
Very useful on snare tracks too.
But I don't know any other plugin than Fabfilter Pro-MB to do this and I don't have it...yet (if someone knows about a cheaper alternative?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Plankis
Fucking epic man, thanks for sharing the files! I rarely download files anymore here, glad there are still guys doing great work!

Sweet song, totally up my alley.

Here is my try : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6120012/Studio/Masters/NEPHYLIM/NEPHYLIM The Fallen 0127 Mix1 (MASTER).mp3
It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun to work on this !
The song is really well written, very catchy and efficient.

I will proudly use this to promote my studio, if you're OK with this Martijn (with all the crediting stuff, of course).
But first I would love to hear some feedback from you guys, and try to improve my mix as much as possible.

EDIT
Updated version : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...PHYLIM The Fallen 0202 Mix1 Rev1 (MASTER).mp3

Last edited: