Melodic Death or Black!?

melo-death and Black??? It sounds the goddamn same, well the vocals of course. If CoB was melo-death and others that have the same vox, where the hell are Death vox, no grunts, no growls, then why the hell is it labeled melo-death, the band who should be labeled mellow-death is insomnium.

Dreadventurouz said:
not all black metal lyrics are satanic, just like death metal.

exactly! you can't really just lump all metal into one category according to the lyrics.... uhh, well except for maybe Christian metal, because that's how it's defined!

But hey, people can call Kalmah a britney spears knock-off for all i care; the point is that their music is great! :err:

kalmah?!?! black?!? r u kidding me??!?
what makes u think its black?? its not even close to be black!!
cob isnt black either!! wtf is wrong with u?!
both bands are melodic death influence by trash metal!
what part of kalmah does sound black???!

fix me if im wrong..

I would call them a mix between Extreme Power Metal and Melo-death.

One thing's for sure, Kalmah does not wear corpsepaint, and their CD's don't sound like they are recorded on an answering machine, so they CAN'T be black metal!!! :D

The point is that melodic black & death are both inspired by
classical arts and fast shredding, but melodic death has more melodies ,
none satanical lyrics, and more in the direction of "power metal"
Melodic Black metal is more " Theatrical " (corpsepaint) satan, a lot of keyboards and "scary" riffs and mindblowing drums, also not a lot of solo's.

What about extreme melodic metal like EToS called themselves? Death metal is a wrong word to describe Kalmah's music and so is power metal...it's like defining Children of Bodom with one genre.

But if I must choose between death and black, then it's death metal. As mentioned above, melodic black has more minor-like, simplistic and repeatitive riffs, more scary feeling, more complex song structures, not many solos and the vocals are higher pitch and they often sing about satan or something. And if you listen to Kalmah...it's the exact opposite.

You guys are complete tools learn your metal genres and stop creating fake hybrids. Kalmah is melodic death and not all black metal is melodic or has satanic lyrics. Melodic black metal examples are Naglfar and Dissection. Some real brutal black metal that really holds no melody would be insane shit like Marduk check these few bands out and i'm sure you will understand the differences.

classify all you like, i personally find kalmah worthy of their own classification, kalmah. the same could be said for any real band. (its always harder to walk your own path) genres really dont exist, there just imaginary links created to group music into proper subcatorgies for a consumer.