Writing melodic death

I totally agree with you ! It's true that building a track is puting together some riffs and arranging them, but, my point was how to GET those riff ;) . One point that is also important in a BAND, you can't imagine the whole song in one shot by a suddent inspiration, because your other band members may have their words to say about your creation. I think thats a major part of a well done band. :D :headbang:

Ok, i got your point wrong. And sorry about the typos in the post above. I was very tired when i wrote it and right now i'm too lazy to fix them.

It has to come from your soul, or your gut or whatever you will call it, you can't force yourself to write melodic death metal man, or any music for that matter. Are you new to metal by any chance?

Don't force yourself to play melodic death metal just because you listen to it, Just develope your own style and sense, don't force things out or it won't work.

edit: I listened to some of the songs I've recorded and you can definitely tell what I listen to through what I play. So what I said earlier was kind of dumb. The guy below me is right, if you listen to what you want to play a lot, usually it will show up in what you write yourself...But don't rip bands off!

Well he is right but i kind of contradict it. if you force yourself to learn it then you will start forcing yourself to write it. but my contradiction to him is. i used to be a punk rock guitarist. but after i started listening to some more metal i began to have an ear for it. as i got used to listening to more heavier stuff gradually (i used to only listen to punk and rock etc. ) i began to learn alot of those songs and eventually i began to write metal riffs naturally. i say just listen to alot more melodic death metal. and learn alot of melodeath songs. eventually you will start to pick it up and write those riffs naturally. :Spin:

Well he is right but i kind of contradict it. if you force yourself to learn it then you will start forcing yourself to write it. but my contradiction to him is. i used to be a punk rock guitarist. but after i started listening to some more metal i began to have an ear for it. as i got used to listening to more heavier stuff gradually (i used to only listen to punk and rock etc. ) i began to learn alot of those songs and eventually i began to write metal riffs naturally. i say just listen to alot more melodic death metal. and learn alot of melodeath songs. eventually you will start to pick it up and write those riffs naturally. :Spin:
dude this thread is 6 years old...

actually I'm really glad somebody bumped this thread, haha, because if he hadn't I probably would have, lol :p

I'm actually REALLY interested in all of this stuff, but it's kind of hard for me to "fiddle around for inspiration" or anything, because I don't own a guitar, nor do I have any guitar playing skills. I've been writing songs on guitar pro (yes, I am that nerdy :p) for about two years or so I would say, now, but my stuff, at least I feel, is never really very powerful. In fact most of my songs feel way too metalcore-ish for me, especially since I hate that stuff, but they just sound way too wimpy, or simple and incredibly boring.

I know there's no true way to "force" inspiration, but I'm wondering if there ARE any scales, or techniques, or some certain melodies that many of these similar melodic death metal bands employ...I hear that a lot of melodeath bands, and a lot of folk metal bands, use Faroese melodies, but I have no idea what these really are, or where I would find some to inspire me, haha :p

Hey guys. YEAHP inspiration is a great thing. Good thread and I agree with what many people are saying, glad to see like minded metalheads listening to Kalmah. GuitarPro for the win. Practicing = vital, but going on a limb and doing extra (beyond capacity/ability) is important too in my experiance. Thats where my inspiration comes from, trying something I cant do, then practicing it until it works, to the frustration of band mates and friends. Some important lessons learnt from Kalmah: 1) rythmn guitar can be as fun as lead. Love playing that Hades rythmn. 2) playing didilididilidoos and scales constantly will pay off if you are careful not to abuse it. But when you do, do it over the top and for 10 seconds min 3) Just like an athlete, a musician has got to keep pushing. People can still make enough waves for it to be ultimatly worth it.

Keep it metal and whatever inspires you, keep at it like a damn monk. To whomever said theres a limit on a 22-24 fret guitar, I disagree. People keep saying theres nothing original anymore, and thats a load of ass. It comes from the heart, and while the powerchords weve grown accustomed to may become obnoxious if they are used in every song, just play what you mean and look at life brightly in the face of opression.
Faroese scales, medieval scales, harmonic minor scales. Look it up, try it out, and Figure out what sounds good to you is all you can do. Im a minor guy, because Ive played it to death, and that makes me different than the average guitar player in the US, but it will affect the rest of my playing FOREVER. But though major has been killed with pop music, its recently opened up worlds of inspiration to my surprise and gotta say, never limit yourself. We got a lot of space in our brains, and all that it takes is seeking inspiration.
Good melodeath for me = fast, meaningful, complex solo. But in 2 hours, that opinion will change and i got to work with it. So have fun.