Just some ideas about melodic death

Nicky_M16

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Well first I like a lot of melodic death metal, black metal and all those stuffs...

But i think that melodic death is kinda being used as the new fashion of the 2000's. There are a lot of new bands who wanna do the same ( I heard some promo first demos of various bands, and not all of them do it... well )

So it's like every kid wanna be like alexi laiho and play in a melodic death band (don't tell me bodom is not a melodic death band... anyway it's not the point, and It's not indeed) There are a lot of new band doing it now, especially in scandinavia, but in the underground scenes of each country in europe, there is the lot...
So what will tell us what record are you going to buy ? Because melodies yeah yeah, they're not the same, but if it's only the melodies that makes a good record, I would buy pop music. I mean... what makes the difference between old meldeath bands and new ones, is that the old ones have their touch, their flavor, their parfume in it. The new ones have melodies melodies, and we don't smell anything else then melodies and the influence where they got it (like madonna, phil collins and stuffs, hehe)

So anyway, we are not here to ignore the new bands so if you buy a new band, which one will you buy ??? Despite their sayings there is no new band using the same style of melodies all the time first, they're quite young and they pump on a lot of sort of musics, you can't find a new band with only egyptian melodies (anyway, it would be crap) or irish style... It's all different and very various... so if they are all very various, they'd all sound the same. I read an interview of hmmm divine divinity I think, and they say that their special point is that they put melodies in priority...
WELL IF THEY ARE A MELODIC DEATH BAND, THEY SHOULD GIVE PRIORITY TO SOMETHING ELSE THAN MELODY IN ORDER TO BE ORIGINAL BETWEEN THOSE THOUSANDS OF NEW MELDEATH BANDS, ANYWAY , EVERYBODY WILL UNFORTUNATELY BUY THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE SWEDISH.

---
It's like the whole bunch of electrogoth stuffs that showed up... you know... the feeling-metal .... the emotion-metal, the music-metal... hehe with females in it... AS IF GIRLS COULDN'T PLAY DEATH OR BLACK... (some of them do, actually in underground)
---

Don't get me wrong, I love melodic death metal. In my band I play melodic stuffs but it's brutal black.
In fact I think I didn't get lost in the typical new melodic death bandy as I can fuse up the brutal black metal with atmo and melodies... and not like all those new demo band, I do it well, and I actually know how to sing. Because some new meldeath band play cute melodies but their singer sucks. And sometimes the melodies are good because they come from a movie motion picture... really...

So you don't have to take this thread as a threat (hehe).
It's just some ideas. If you like how much band try to do like bodom, soilwork and all...( without knowing what the hell is At the gates, hypocrisy, anata, dissection, kreator... and I can name a lot more) then you'll probably insult me. :cry:

-----
Possible replies to this threat:
- You're ideas, you can stick them deep your ass!
- Fuck you if you don't like death metal!
- You don't know what you're talking about ! You don't know shit about death metal !
- Bodom is not melodic death metal, you dork !
- Bodom is the only melodic death metal, you gay !
... ... ... and so on ... ... ...

Well this was a purpose about the new bands comin' out, not about Children of bodom, Soilwork and other bands that already proved themself as a good band with good things from good ideas.

Happens to every single popular music scene. You get a few good bands, and then a whole bunch of wannabees copying it that the record companies all sign up to jump on the bandwagon because it's the "big" thing. In a few years they will all be gone, save maybe one or two that are actually good and original.

Happened to glam metal, happened to thrash metal, happened to death metal, happened to black metal....

It happens to every music scene, after which it goes towards dying, and then levels out in popularity with a few big (surviving) bands left.

What's your point? I don't give a shit if millions of clone bands start appearing. It won't hurt the true musicians, because they are not ones copying others in the first place. If anything, it just give more visibility to the style, and will make people aware of bands that *don't* suck. The only people suffering are idiots that buy these new "melodic death metal" albums.

That is a very dissapointing post. There are "wannabe" bands in every genere, even "brutal black metal". No matter what.. there is always a band ahead of you that defined the word "brutal", as well as a band that has defined the word "black", and even "metal".
Melody is a part of music. Melodic death happens to be something that someone can understand. It's death metal, with classical rock stylings. Yeah it's pop, but did Dark Tranquillity write their music thinking "this will be the next big hit"?
Pop (popular music) is something that is popular. It doesn't mean they all suck... shit, I'd rather see Soilwork on MTV anyday instead of Nickelback.
I think it's a good thing this sort of music is catching on. I knew it would eventually.
As far as the focus of a melodic death metal band (that term "meldeath" sounds something very akin to "nu"), you do have a point. If a band just focuses upon melodies, the music isn't really interesting, especially if you're a listener that owns every DT, ATG, and IF cd. If you're in a melodic death metal band (as well as any other type of band), you need to push your music to a point where you feel as if you're an innovator. Something that you can compare to every other band in the genre (or almost every other band) and say to yourself "we do things differently than them". Then you know you've created something original.