Votes: 68 76.4%
  • Death Metal

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • Grindcore

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Black Metal

Votes: 39 43.8%

• Total voters
are you guys retarded when death metal first came out how did it sound???
melodic!! the first death metal bands that were out there were melodic and fast. the first four death metal bands were death, deicide, obituary and the death metal band that was always melodic was morbid angel. these are the first four death metal bands and if you didn't know this then you got somthing wrong with you!!!
it all started melodic and then it got faster,harder and more christian hating music..

r.i.p chuck s. ( death. the first death metal guitarist)

generalizations + ignorance + totally subjective matters of taste passed off as objective value statements + a verrrrry small amount of actual reasonable thought = this thread.

Quote:
Cannibal Corpse, Mortician, Morbid Angel, Obituary, etc.

Perhaps you should try listening to something besides mainstream U.S. death metal.

funny you should say that being that morbid angel is from brazil or something haha

i agreed with your whole post (that was the only thing i didnt like), while i respect his opinion, i would have to say that his information is very wrong on soo many levels.

Sex Machine said:
funny you should say that being that morbid angel is from brazil or something haha
morbid angel is from florida; because of that I guess I could see saying they're from cuba (although I don't think they're from miami), but brazil is a bit of a stretch ;)

JesterRace said:
The poll is supposed to allow you to choose multiple genres, although I know that the choices listed don't really cover the vast offering of them. There's really way too many to make a big poll on all of them, I kind of generalized them into a few to get an idea.
In response to Phyre, Cannibal Corpse's songs and song titles ARE disgusting, they are supposed to be, even ask the members of the band themselves, it was their point to be as disgusting as possible. It isn't MY concept of disgusting, it just is to anybody who reads it. It's disgusting and amusing at the same time, which is why I enjoy reading the titles to laugh at them, because that was their point.. but I still can't get myself to listen to it. I think that you really need to stop being so angry and think for a minute. Like I said earlier, I may be ignorant of some styles of music for lack of experience of listening to them, but the ones I have heard come across to me as being utterly ridiculous. What kind of emotion can you derive from it other than murderous rage or amusement? The artists themselves intended it to be this way, so they expected criticism, and welcome it, because their point was to shock the public.
In answer to the theory question, I do know a lot about theory, and I do recognize the fact that some of these death/grindcore bands have knowledge of theory, but regardless of how complicated their playing may be, it still comes across to me as just ridiculous. It doesn't impress me as well written music. Especially the lyrics (i.e. cannibal corpse) because it isn't writing about experiences in their life or whatever it may be, its just finding the most grotesque things to say. You can't deny that, that's what it is. No matter how many times you can childishly call me names or swear at me, I'm not going to change my opinion, which I'm quite entitled to. I simply can't understand why people can enjoy it. Music to me is music that provokes emotions that may or may not be uplifting or depressing or whatever. The girl that fucked you over, or speaking out against this ever confusing life and the things that happen in it. Cannibal Corpse doesn't do that, they just think of the nastiest, grotesque things they can think of and add it to their music. Which you would need the lyric book for, considering theres no way in hell you can understand what they're saying through the incoherent grunts and growls.
As someone said earlier, to each his own, and Phyre really missed my point on saying that I had no intention on trying to upset people. I thank everyone for their respectful and intelligent posts that will better my knowledge on this subject.

"Music to me is music that provokes emotions that may or may not be uplifting or depressing or whatever. The girl that fucked you over, or speaking out against this ever confusing life and the things that happen in it. Cannibal Corpse doesn't do that, they just think of the nastiest, grotesque things they can think of and add it to their music. Which you would need the lyric book for, considering theres no way in hell you can understand what they're saying through the incoherent grunts and growls."

In response to this, I have to say the desire to kill is the most natural feeling people can have. We in American society and other nations believe cannibal corpse lyrics are disqusting, but that is only because society has made our minds weak. The savage man would highly disagree with you because he, like todays young kids are not born with a super-ego that is responsible for telling an individual that any form of violence is wrong. kids at an early age are taught how to be civilized and end up weak and depressed. i believe there is a minimal amount of depression in every civilized person. anyways, the members of cannibal corpse may or may not want to bring these "dreadful" acts out. that's beside the point because at one point in history, everyone wanted to carry these acts out. they were driven by their Id and ego. violence, torture, and rejecting any race that's not yours was normal. was ceaser any different than hitler? not at all. if you want to talk about how depressed you are over the "girl who fucked you over," then you're listening to the wrong music. if you want to fantasize about mutilating the "girl who fucked you over," death metal is in your department. talking about your pleasent feelings about that "special girl" has been way overdone. (alternative bands, backstreet boys, hip hop; well in one phrase: pop-culture). pop-culture tells its listeners how to act and feel; like robots. DEATH METAL GOES BACK TO MANS' ROOTS WHETHER IT BE KILLING, WORSHIPPING BARBARIAN GODS, OR BOTH. to conclude, civilization limits peoples' true, natural emotions and behavior. man is supposed to do three things: engage in war, sex, and getting high. would you or any of you whether go to war like real men, or be pussies and get together with liberal college faggots at starbucks and plan your next war protest?

power to freud and rousseau. little did they know the impact they would have on the most aggressive music genre whether death metal bands and fans know it or not.

why cant it be just metal? why do we have to put bands in stupid groups? theres good bands and shitty bands. thats it!! who gives a F*&^!!!