Melodic metal mix: (MindMirror - Fifteen Years). Any opinions?

SirKeke

New Metal Member
Hey guys!

Here´s my latest production for my own band MindMirror. I´m curious to hear any opinions about this mix. I recorded this in a semi-pro studio and mixed it home. Mastering was left for mr. Svante Forsbäck (Chartmakers Mastering).

I´m quite statisfied with the overall sound of the song but sometimes I felt a bit lost in the process...Maybe the most difficult thing was having the kick and the snare sound punchy and heavy and still as organic as possible.

Obviously, I´m not able to make any adjustments anymore but would still want to know what you guys like or what you would´ve done differently...Any comments would be appreciated.

Sorry for YouTube quality (the song hasn´t been published elsewhere yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not bad by all means. Guitar tone is a little too punchy for the genre imo. Snare isn't punching through the mix enough, sounds a little to buried. Vocals sound pretty good, but seem a bit dry. Drums sound like they have no dynamics, idk how much you replaced. Lead guitar sounds good, but could be a bit louder.

That all said, a lot of that is preference, and the mix isn't bad.

Thanks for really good pointers, Josh!

I´ve been some having problems with vocal reverb for our singer...I´ve tried dozens of different verbs but none of them seem to fit with voice well enough. After endless tries I´ve ended up using mostly delays and just a tiny bit of reverb for his voice. Do you have any suggestions for a good vocal reverb for this kind of singing style and voice?

The kick I had to replace 100%. The snare is something like 70% original/30% sample. Toms are original. Did you mean that the drums sound too sampled for you? Because that´s something I really want to avoid...I want the kick & snare to be punchy and steady enough but still quite organic sounding at least in this type of music.

I actually thought the snare was quite loud but maybe I should try turning it up even more...or EQ differently to get it punching through better.

I totally agree with you about the solo...It´s probably the best solo he has done yet.