Melodic Metal

Dream Theater, In Flames, Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Shadows Fall, Killswith Engage, Atreyu, King's X, Emperor(sort of), Dissection, uh...that's all I can think of right now. Tell me if you need more...

At the Gates,Nightingale,Edge of Sanity(go to the Dan Swanö forum here for recommendations),Amorphis,Blind Guardian

I have heard of all of those guys except At the Gates and Edge of Sanity. They are all great, specially Killswitch Engage, I love those guys. Im looking for some new stuff that someguy who listens to alot of metal probably has not heard.

You should listen to At the Gates soon

Farmakon are a new band and they kick ass
Thales is unsigned and a guy from the forums plays there,and they are pretty good too.

skyfire
kalmah
mors principium est
nightrage
definitely check out Dimension Zero!

i cant belive you havent heard of AtG...they probably had, along with In Flames, the most influence on this genre. Then came soilwork but they have gotten worse w/ age imo. Im not a huge fan of this genre that much anymore cuz every band kinda sounds the same. But I have to admit that it was a gateway to introduce me to a lot of amazing bands. I mainly listen to Brutal Death now...

soilwork, dark tranquillity, the duskfall, garden of shadows, amon amarth, old in flames, at the gates, omnium gatherum, opeth, novembers doom, forest stream, darkane, katatonia, my dying bride, forest of shadows, rapture, shape of despair, asgaroth, daylight dies, novembre

IMO Dark Tranquility is the perfect melodic metal band, aggresive, yet so melodical. Bands try to copy their sound but no one makes it as good as them.