Melodic Rock Fest 4

SHOOTING STAR!!!! One of my fav AOR bands! Their s/t, Hang on For Your Life, Burning, Silent Screams...all great stuff. Still in my rotation...more than Journey or any other band of that type, from that era.

I actually know several of these from listening to HardRockin80s.com, but Heaven's Edge is pretty much the only one that interests me.

I have to join the list of those that find this lineup fairly ordinary. I think last years was far superior. Good to see Aussie band the Radio Sun getting another run too.

I thought they were or was it just a Progpower thing for them?

No, they definitely did not end up doing the full tour.
At the Pearl Room, Ion Vein were supposed to play but got booted.
The whole show was a mess.
All I know is that Pearl Room did something funky with the VIP.
It got heated between the management and Pearl Room.

There was probably an hour and a half break between Gamma Ray and Helloween because of it.

I'm loving the headliners plus Work of Art and Mecca. I'll check out the other bands. If I like at least two, I'll be going this time. Haven't been to one yet. Venue doesn't look nearly as cool as Center Stage.

This event is being downsized from three days to two due to low ticket sales. Lost Angeles, LRS, Degreed, Shooting Star, Crossing Rubicon, Loud Lion, Romeo Riot and the Poodles have been removed from the lineup.

Yeah, I'm bummed that The Poodles are out, though they had to be pulled because they couldn't change from Sun to Sat. They were the main reason I was going. Though I am glad to see H.e.a.t. still on the bill, along w/ Work of Art, Mitch Malloy, and Heaven's Edge. Better to adjust it now than to have to cancel it like the week of. The guy is offering refunds and lowering GA tickets to only $20 a night. Hopefully the changes help and he can break even, or at least not lose a crap load.

Yeah, I'm bummed that The Poodles are out, though they had to be pulled because they couldn't change from Sun to Sat. They were the main reason I was going. Though I am glad to see H.e.a.t. still on the bill, along w/ Work of Art, Mitch Malloy, and Heaven's Edge. Better to adjust it now than to have to cancel it like the week of. The guy is offering refunds and lowering GA tickets to only $20 a night. Hopefully the changes help and he can break even, or at least not lose a crap load.

He's doing the best he can. I don't fault him for this.

That's too bad, last year's fest was pretty good. I have a conflict that weekend or would've bought my tickets already. I appreciate everything Andrew's trying to do to keep the scene alive, but the U.S. market overall just doesn't appreciate these types of bands anymore...

That's too bad, last year's fest was pretty good. I have a conflict that weekend or would've bought my tickets already. I appreciate everything Andrew's trying to do to keep the scene alive, but the U.S. market overall just doesn't appreciate these types of bands anymore...

I have a conflict too, but honestly I probably wouldn't have gone this year if I was free. As much as I'd love to see HEAT, there were just too many repeat bands from last year to justify the cost of the trip.

Does anyone have any food recommendations? This is my first MRF and I love to sample good local favorites when I travel. Pizza is obvious but anything else specifically Chicago cuisine within walking distance?

Does anyone have any food recommendations? This is my first MRF and I love to sample good local favorites when I travel. Pizza is obvious but anything else specifically Chicago cuisine within walking distance?

Well, I'm right from the area. Food wise, anything in particular you are looking for? That area has some decent places. If bar food, besides the obvious eating right there at H.O.M.E., which is really decent food, you have Gatsby's which is maybe at the most 1 mile north on Rand Rd. IMO, they have the best pizza in the area (thin crust). On the same road, maybe 1/4 north on Rand Rd is The Sports Page, their wings are really good...gotta get them grilled which I think are the best. They also have really good burgers, so does Gatsby's by the way. If you are looking for something a little more fancy, or a more specific food item, let me know, I'll try to give you some more suggestions.