Melodyne Plug-in

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

We all know how the Melodyne plug-in loves to sample drift over the course of a song, making it all but nigh useless.

What I'm wondering is, if you were to chop up your vocal tracks into smaller chunks and use it offline in your VST host, or as AudioSuite in ProTools for instance, would it still be subject to drifting?

I'm here playing around with a few different tuning plug-ins, trying to find my feet, and thus far I'm really reminded why I never liked the UI/workflow of autotune.

So running with that topic, what is your favourite tuning software, and how do you use it?

Thanks!

autotune user here. never had big problems in auto mode. if it didn´t work i let the singer do another take. ;-)
i always print to track. never use it as an insert.

I use Melodyne plugin, print to track and align the vocals to the untuned one.

Melodyne has become a mandatory and irreplaceable tool for vocal production for me. I haven't noticed the "sample drift" you mentioned but I do have problems when the bpm changes within a song. I just do it one part at a time.

I just export the vocal tracks and do it in the standalone melodyne.

way more stable for me, and its not really as much of a hassle as it sounds. i do like the autotune plugin though, sometimes its cleaner than melodyne sometimes not. unfortunately i have only demo'ed it thus far and would love to buy it.

I'm gonna try using Melodyne with the same AudioSuite method I use with AT.

Absolutely hated exporting vocal tracks into standalone Melodyne. Not only is it a clunky UI, but it breaks your workflow and costs you a ton of time. It's just impractical if you do this for a living.

More than anything this is about workflow. I want the one that's going to have the easiest to interpret pitch curves, the quickest correction and the least artifacts. I'll shoot them out against each other shortly!

Worst case scenario will go back to Cubase's VariAudio, which is probably the best integrated out of all of them, though terribly inflexible and glitchy.

auto tune in rtas, one line at a time... tune, copy settings to audio suite, process. next line.
even aside from the sample accuracy issues of melodyne, it just plain sounds bad.

auto tune in rtas, one line at a time... tune, copy settings to audio suite, process. next line.
even aside from the sample accuracy issues of melodyne, it just plain sounds bad.

Sorry, can you elucidate a bit on your method?

Do you run autotune in RTAS in order to get around the choppy/frame skip UI issue when previewing tracks in audio-suite?

How do you copy the settings across from the RTAS instance to the audio-suite one? Sorry about the incessant questions, but I want to develop a quick workflow for this, if you don't mind explaining.

I agree that the one integrated in C5 is still buggy though, it's not as fluid as Melodyne, and if I'm already using a lot of CPU, using variaudio will crash C5 most of the time...but I only have a core 2 duo, I don't think this problem happens with a quad core or superior.

I've always loved using melodyne through rewire. I've tried auto tune graphic mode(hated the navigation), and ive tried the melodyne plugin(terrible navigation, and couldn't use keyboard shortcuts). I'm much faster using it through rewire since i can use all the keyboard shortcuts, and it's extremely easy to line up layered vocals with each other since the are essentially "solo'd" while you are editing. Then just print to track, and you're done. All vocal alignment and pitch correction done at the same time.

Just make sure you export a midi tempo track of your session, and "definite tempo" in melodyne using that midi track. Ever since doing that, i've had no problems.

Sorry, can you elucidate a bit on your method?

Do you run autotune in RTAS in order to get around the choppy/frame skip UI issue when previewing tracks in audio-suite?

How do you copy the settings across from the RTAS instance to the audio-suite one? Sorry about the incessant questions, but I want to develop a quick workflow for this, if you don't mind explaining.

Ctrl+Shift+C to copy, Ctrl+Shift+V to paste. Copy while the RTAS is open, open the Audiosuite and paste.

What's so hard to interpret about the pitch curves in Auto Tune? I've found it to be the best so far for me, with Waves Tune a close second. Waves Tune is severely underrated as a vocal correction plugin.

Thanks Adam. Is there a way to quickly cycle between both instances with hotkeys? Or any way to hotkey the actual auto-tune audio-suite plug-in? I sometimes habitually close the window and hate menu-surfing to get it back up.

Thanks Adam. Is there a way to quickly cycle between both instances with hotkeys? Or any way to hotkey the actual auto-tune audio-suite plug-in? I sometimes habitually close the window and hate menu-surfing to get it back up.

this
I have such a horrible habbit of closing the plug window

I agree that the one integrated in C5 is still buggy though, it's not as fluid as Melodyne, and if I'm already using a lot of CPU, using variaudio will crash C5 most of the time...but I only have a core 2 duo, I don't think this problem happens with a quad core or superior.

Intel Xeon @ 3.16Ghz quad core user here, and Cubase 5.5 is VERY stable. I haven't had a crash during normal usage ever. Knock on wood. ;)

I've always loved using melodyne through rewire. I've tried auto tune graphic mode(hated the navigation), and ive tried the melodyne plugin(terrible navigation, and couldn't use keyboard shortcuts). I'm much faster using it through rewire since i can use all the keyboard shortcuts, and it's extremely easy to line up layered vocals with each other since the are essentially "solo'd" while you are editing. Then just print to track, and you're done. All vocal alignment and pitch correction done at the same time.

Just make sure you export a midi tempo track of your session, and "definite tempo" in melodyne using that midi track. Ever since doing that, i've had no problems.

you should post a video tuto :cool:

2 options
Set Melodyne to your favorites list. Hold Command(mac) or CTRL(PC) while selecting from the plugin list to add it to the favorites. It'll now be at the top of the list.

Use a program like (and preferably) Quickeys to launch the audiosuite version as needed.