Men smarter than Women

The Northern Fire said:
Measuring intelligence individually is helpful when children are in school, and you want to make a more specific teaching plan in addition to the curriculum. In fact, it is absolutely vital if someone has some learning difficulities and you need to plot it exactly to be able to help as much as possible.

Let me explain why you're wrong. An intelligence test gives the tester a score, which becomes a percentile. Clearly, the score of 110 is useless unless we take it to be relative to other scores. It is impossible to measure individually.

All right, I agree. Intelligence tests that do nothing but give the tester a score is useless.

But if an intelligence test helps discover which areas you are weak/strong in, it could be useful, for self-improvement purposes if nothing else.

Final_Product said:
I have also thought the idea of measuring intelligence a problematic endeavour. I think we can all recognise intelligence or lack there of, but i don't think it exists as a quantifiable thing. Distinguishing levels of intelligence seems to me, at least, as pointless at best and utterly stupid at worst.

Excellent post. Demiurge's post is excellent as well.