Mendez/lopez career before opeth

Malaclypse

Oct 18, 2001
i dug out some info about the individuals of opeth here: http://www.allmusic.com/
both mendez and lopez are mentioned to have been involved into some really strange bands, with sombreros and all... sadly the site doesn't state what their business was with (for example) these bands:

Paraiso Tropical de Durango?
Tamborazo Loco?

anybody got more info?

Must be some mistake. Pretty sure that a name like Martin Lopez is pretty typical in Latin America.
His name could have been cross referenced to some other Martin that was in Paraiso Tropical de Durango.

allmusic.com mixes up the discographies of people with same names. Mendez hasn't done anything but Opeth and Lopez, as mentioned earlier, played on Amon Amarth's Once Sent from the Golden Hall.

sorry opened the reply dialog when your answer wasn't there... well that could be, surely there are quite a few mendezes around. damn, and i thought i had found a stain on their careers ;)

VultureCulture said:
i dug out some info about the individuals of opeth here: http://www.allmusic.com/
both mendez and lopez are mentioned to have been involved into some really strange bands, with sombreros and all... sadly the site doesn't state what their business was with (for example) these bands:

Paraiso Tropical de Durango?
Tamborazo Loco?

anybody got more info?

Before leaving Uruguay for Sweden, both Martins played with Jose Romero in a black/death metal band called Requiem Aeternam. Later, Martin Lopez played with Amon Amarth, with which he recorded 1 album.

As to their old band, after Martins left, Jose R. went on to record "Eternally Dying" album, which, similarly to Opeth, uses both clean and heavy parts but is more of a Latin influenced Black metal style.

After a 4-5 year break, Jose is now in New York readying to record his second cd for Requiem Aeternam. This album will be recorded later this year. But thats all shh.. top secret stuff ;)

sf.

Martin Mendez *has done stuff with Fifth to infinity, Proxima, and Vinterkrig.
Martin Lopez *has done stuff with Fifth to infinity and Vinterkrig.

Sorry for the off-subject question, but does anyone know why they moved all the way from South America to Sweden in the first place? To play music? If so, why did they choose Sweden?

Mezarkabul said:
Sorry for the off-subject question, but does anyone know why they moved all the way from South America to Sweden in the first place? To play music? If so, why did they choose Sweden?

Martin Lopez was born in Sweden, but his parents are from Uruguay. He then moved to Uruguay with his family when political climate in Uruguay changed. Then he and Mendez moved to Sweden, and as far as I know music was the reason for the move.

sf