Mendez's basslines on GR...

Mar 11, 2005
An interview with Mike said that he thought GR contains some of Mendez's best basslines and I agree with him. The basslines in GR are my favorites from Mendez! What do you guys think? This isn't about the basslines from pre-Mendez just the basslines he's written since he's been in the band.

I agree, his basslines on GR are great. You can hear them well in many of the songs. Would have to agree, his best work yet.

Ikil

indeed, the two martin's are both amazing, and are favourite musicians of mine! ... it's such a strange story though how they got in the band, and how the apparently simply show up from nowhere as this amazing musicians, instantly fitting into the band, and enjoying the same music as mikael and peter ... I can't help wondering how it must have been like. has mikael given them some records (like camel and stuff), or where they into that kind of music already?

I know that Mikael in some way is opeth, and that without the other members, the next album would still be and sound like opeth, but still, they contribute so much! Really amazing, it's almost like a fairytale how the opeth of today came to be ... or perhaps they are keeping an air of mystery around it? ;)
can anyone recommend an album on wich mendez played before opeth? I know of lopez in amon amarth (and you can so hear that! amazing drumwork), but not of mendez ..

mendez IS the best bassist ive ever heard, the bass lines are so inventive, even when their is like an acoustic brake their is sometimes great fills

They really are great. I love playing along with them and GR definetly is some of his greatest works. He definetly is one of my influences as a bassist.

the opeth affinity said:
mendez IS the best bassist ive ever heard, the bass lines are so inventive, even when their is like an acoustic brake their is sometimes great fills
I don't think I'd go that far. He certianly is very confident with his instrument, and I do enjoy his playing.

Black Session said:
can anyone recommend an album on wich mendez played before opeth? I know of lopez in amon amarth (and you can so hear that! amazing drumwork), but not of mendez ..

The only band I know of that Martin played in before Opeth is Requiem Aeternam. They're a Melodic black/death metal band. He's not in it anymore though.

Besides his playing, DAMN he has some good tone. Warm, punchy and growly, classic J-bass sound. Maybe it's the mix, but I think with this album he's really stepped out with his stuff, especially his fills. great stuff.