To make a world go 'round :Spin:
Come with your heart and soul :loco:
Come 'a come and rock your boat
Cause it's a punky reggae party :hotjump:
And it's tonight :headbang:
it's a punky reggae party o_O
And it's alright:wave:"

Gronke said:
It was stupid to talk about a country you haven't (as I can see) lived in. Nothing personal.
i didnt think for a moment it was personal but frankly speaking i disagree. according to your reasoning, one must live in a country to be able to talk about it? is that so?

then every politician talking about another country, every sociologist conducting a research on another country other than his/hers is just plain wrong and his inferences are stupid? come on

well, that depends which film, and the mood i'm in :)

i must say i don't watch films very often, but i do tend to think , yes;)

Don Corleone said:
i didnt think for a moment it was personal but frankly speaking i disagree. according to your reasoning, one must live in a country to be able to talk about it? is that so?

then every politician talking about another country, every sociologist conducting a research on another country other than his/hers is just plain wrong and his inferences are stupid? come on

If you knew about swedish society a bit, the tax / benefit ratios etc; you'd speak differently.

That's what I am saying. I live here, and I follow politics every day.

I am not saying you need to live in a country, but in your case; you are wrong.

Well I know New Zealand has one of the highest youth suicide rates in the world. I don't know about other western countries but I'd be interested to find out, is it normal for most out there to know multiple people who claim to have had clinical depression. I know I've been close friends to ppl who I've found out have been cutting themselves etc.

Which is another issue... my mothers a psychiatrist and I was talking with her about this stuff and she said that 30 or so years ago it was almost unheard of for people to self injure, at least nowhere near the extent it is today. Here it seems to be that allot of the 'depressed' people are young girls who listen to too much pop-punk (MASSIVE generalization) but there is a big number of people like that that sort if show off their cutting to their friends which makes me raise an eyebrow quite abit as to whether it’s really genuine.

And of course there is real clinical depression, which is hell to go through and I know people who have had to deal with that that weren’t just making it up as an excuse for being lazy. It's stupid to suggest that there is no such thing as clinical depression.

I think you've taken an extreme view that has some aspects of truth... there are some people that claim depression but aren’t genuine, or at least genuinely ill. But there are also people that have to struggle with an actual illness.

@JoshB it's interesting you mentioned pop-music. In the former eastern block, there was a (quite large) underground movement that wanted to listen to their 60ies pop-idol and wear denim, all behind the iron curtain.

This obviously made them happier, otherwise they wouldn't search for it, and then I wonder; did the social enviornments play a role in making them feel more or less depressed, and if so; were they able to air their feelings on the topic? (my (highly personal / subjective) theory on that would be... no.)

What IS annoying me are those people who think it's "cool" to be what they think is "depressed", put massive amount of mascara around their eyes and confess themselves to be higher standing individuals...

Baywatch - The fall of the Soviet Union

Of course I'm not trying to say that pop music will make you depressed or otherwise, I'm trying to get at the fact that alot of the teenagers who make out that their life is miserable tend to be sort of mainstream. The type that think The Rasmus are incredibly deep and meaningful.

Maybe the reason there was the underground pop-music thing in the USSR was not that it really made them any happier but that they were looking for what seemed like some kind of paradise in the other half of the world. The people that had the interest in the pop music would have been the ones that were unhappy with their conditions and probly more down than more. Of course I don't actually know much, I haven’t really experienced enough of life yet to have any real knowledge on these things.

How much effect music has on this kind of stuff could be interesting too. Do you spose the 'emo' trend and such have any real effect on the number of tortured artist 'woe is me' types?

Of course I just realized I mentioned depression music on an Anathema forum.

I mean some Anathema lyrics are fairly embarrising as tourtured artist stuff goes.

Like Anyone, Anywhere. It's kinda...

I mean whats with "No one seems to care anymore, something something something"

It just seems kinda fruity.

I wouldn't want to speculate that much Josh, though it would be interesting to see these (even if imaginative) correlations be put down into something more concrete.

What is interesting is that while the kids in the USSR were thirsty after pop-culture from the west, american housewives popper valium in order to cope with their every day lives, and J Edgar Hoover hunted down, what he believed to be, communists (while not dressing up as his mother)...

JoshB said:
Of course I just realized I mentioned depression music on an Anathema forum.

I mean some Anathema lyrics are fairly embarrising as tourtured artist stuff goes.

Like Anyone, Anywhere. It's kinda...

I mean whats with "No one seems to care anymore, something something something"

It just seems kinda fruity.
well, someone mentioned on this board before that the author of these lines didn't mean a word of whaty he wrote :erk:

Of course depression is real, although I think the term depression is over-used nowadays. People who feel down about something say that they feel depressed. I don't see depression as just a random feeling like being bored or tired or happy. It's a disease. Another thing that kind of annoys me is all the bad press about self-harming. Yes, there are people who have only really done it because they've seen other people do it. That annoys me in itself, but there are genuine cases where people harm themselves and are not attention seeking or trying to fit in with other people. It's their way of escaping. I was pretty sceptical on psychiatrists and counsellors and saw them as just another person to say how you've been feeling. But they do give you targets and things to do to make yourself better without going on drugs. They help you to understand why you are the way you are and how to change that. I'm pretty against anti-depressants too. People are shoved on them when counselling would probably help them more. And in most cases, they only make you feel worse. I think it's quite ignorant for people to just assume someone is faking being depressed and self-harming for attention.