Mesa Mini Recto

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ..... with a different type of tube, doesn't that stray it away from the "classic" Recto sound? Are there still rectifier tubes in it? Image was removed......top secret stuff yet, I guess?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ..... with a different type of tube, doesn't that stray it away from the "classic" Recto sound? Are there still rectifier tubes in it? Image was removed......top secret stuff yet, I guess?

It's probably not tube rectified, but neither is the Single Recto.
I'm a little iffy on the EL84 as well but I'm still interested to hear how they sound.

I dont think 6v6s will be possible as el84 use nonal sockets while el84 use bigger octal sockets.

and make the chassis holes bigger. Octal sockets are 22mm and and nonal, 19mm IIRC.

So why is El84 such a bad idea? Just wondering.

EL84s don't sound good for higher gain sounds.
They've got a brash, nasally mid range plus they don't really punch in the low end.
Great for chimey cleans and rocky mid gain, not so hot for metal.

They also need lower plate voltages so I'd imagine it'll sound quite compressed.

I'd have thought 6V6 would have been a better option, they sound pretty similar to EL34s which would work much better for high gain.

Also, mesa sockets are pcb mounted, so that would include some SERIOUS modding. Anyway, let's see :D

Someone would need to find a way to make the tube sockets chassis mounted and use wires to connect it to the board, mainly due to the different connections on each socket - octal sockets heater pins are 2 and 7, while nonal sockets heaters are on 4,5 and 9, for example.

Lots of great-sounding clips have been posted of the JCA20H and the Krank Rev Jr. with EL84's. I know they're probably not the ultimate tube for headroom and earth-shaking low-end, but I think they could pull it off.