Mesa RevF Recto kicks so much ass...3cha Rectos can suck it!

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I'm in serious love with my RevF Recto....all those new 3 channel models can suck it!
Wanna hear why?

Here you go (bear in mind, that this is not a decent mix yet, there's no bass guitar etc):

Last edited by a moderator:
i stiill need to learn the trick to dialing these beasts in properly.. we have a '96 Dual Trem-O-Verb and it's the best sounding recto I've heard in person but I can never get it to translate under a mic...

HAOLP.

Figured I'd ask here, don't mean to derail too much, but speaking of three channel dual recs I have played them, never recorded one and have always noticed that they are really abundant in the low end and are very metallic and the tone controls don't really respond that well. Funny thing is to me from the clips they sound like a typical SLO based amp when in person they sound miles different. Am I the only one that notices that or do I just suck at dialing in tones? I would really like to record a dual rec (3 channel or 2 channel).

Also tonality wise, how does the RevF compare to the modern 3 channels?

I had a few revG 2 channels and they were great as well. All 2 channel recs are unique and sound different from each other. But rack mount 2 ch. rectos will crap on any recto out there. My buddy has rectifier #86 and it's the harshest amp I've ever heard surprisingly. Some are hit or miss for sure.

Sounds like a common thing over at Mesa Boogie, their quality control or rather consistency is, non-existent. The story of the Mark II amps and all the variation is another great point.

Their quality control is really very good. The "lack of consistency" is actually design changes in the circuit. #86 was a Rev C, which is arguably the brightest Recto produced. I owned a Rev D (#499), which was not as bright, but still way too aggressive for me. Felt like it was constantly trying to rip my head off. By the time they got to Rev F, I think they were getting it figured out. Lasse's amp sounds great. I also like the Rev G's.

The three channel amps, while still clearly sounding like a Recto, are just missing something that the earlier two channel's had in terms of character. While the basic circuit design is very close, they use relays instead of LDR's for switching, and some argue that that is a large part of the difference in sound.

Anyway, I digress...

Im aware of all the revisions. If anyone else is curious. Search up the rectifier files. The revC's mid range was aggressive as crap. Quite harsh as well. But some of them are awesome. There are multiple things that make all the revisions differ. From boards to the power supply down to the power cable and logo. Just gotta look at it, you can usually tell if it's an F or below or a G.

Just got my RevF the other week... LOVE IT. it absolutely anihilates the 3channel Rectos. It's just tight and smooth compared to how harsh any of the others get. I can see how the Mark Series transformers makes a difference. Along with the other differences of course. Either way, LOVE it, can't wait to use it on something :)

I believe the roadsters came after the recto took its final form (the 3 channel), so their are no revisions of those. Though, the roadsters do sound more like the older rectos than the 3 channel rectos do. The new 3 channels just sound congested. Too much protein, clogging its bunghole.

Awesome....

I know nothing about the revs. but ill say this, a friend of mine bought a first year run of the 2ch and it was/is incredible. I longed after that tone for years till I was able to buy one which ended up being the first year of the 3ch. After having that for a few years it was quite apparent it was nothing like the early 2.ch I was very familiar with. Then a band mate acquired a triple rec. soon after which to both of us sounded even further. Years later and moving on from the Recto sound Ive heard many 2, and 3ch rectos and None come even Close to the one Im describing here, Its fucking Godly, to be honest, as some of you are saying here, with the Q.C. at Mesa, it actually doesnt really sound like a "Recto" its no where near as saturated and compressed as that "Recto" sound...its hard to explain, its just massively powerful..its Awesome. Ive had this discussion with him a few times and he feels the same way...hes retired it to Personal studio sessions...Haha. Ill ask him what # its is.

We're both interested in hearing just the amp if possible...

i stiill need to learn the trick to dialing these beasts in properly.. we have a '96 Dual Trem-O-Verb and it's the best sounding recto I've heard in person but I can never get it to translate under a mic...

HAOLP.

Ditto!

I believe the roadsters came after the recto took its final form (the 3 channel), so their are no revisions of those. Though, the roadsters do sound more like the older rectos than the 3 channel rectos do. The new 3 channels just sound congested. Too much protein, clogging its bunghole.

Interesting. I have played the roadster more than the 3 channel dual rec and I can say I like it more. What most metal guys call congested, I call mid range goodness, so to each his own. To me the roadster has more definition and better translation of chords relative to say a 3 channel dual rec or a 5150. Still love my 5150 though, don't think anything will replace that.

But rack mount 2 ch. rectos will crap on any recto out there. My buddy has rectifier #86 and it's the harshest amp I've ever heard surprisingly. Some are hit or miss for sure.

not true...the racktos are great, but the RevF kills it, the early RevG with the Schumacher trannies (Mark series transformers) also sounds a bit better...the Racktos all are late RevG, with the same transformers as the 3ch heads.#and while those racktos sound much better than the new heads or the late RevG heads, they still can't touch a good RevF or RevG IME

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...r-vs-revg-schumacher-vs-revg-mercury-mag.html

I'll never sell my RevF...kinda regret selling that early RevG, needed the money though. Emdproduct, do you still have it?

not true...the racktos are great, but the RevF kills it, the early RevG with the Schumacher trannies (Mark series transformers) also sounds a bit better...the Racktos all are late RevG, with the same transformers as the 3ch heads.#and while those racktos sound much better than the new heads or the late RevG heads, they still can't touch a good RevF or RevG IME

Lasse I am pretty sure that there are quite a few revF rackto's. My old guitar player bought 3 of them (2 G's, 1 F [chrome chassis as well]) serial tells all (pre 2500). A bit harder to come across though. I think the rackto's SLAY but thats just personal opinion.