MESA: Triaxis vs. Rectifier recording preamp

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Hi!

I allready have a Mesa Rectifier 2:100 poweramp and I'm planning to get either the Triaxis or the Rectro Recording Preamp.

I know the Rectifier Recording Preamp and regular Rectifier heads has six 12AX7 tubes in them while the Triaxis only have 5. What does this do for the sound, and can the Triaxis yeld an equally good Rectified sound with one less tube?

The Tri-Axis is the most versatile rack pre-amp out there. But the Recto Pre has a better Rectified sound.

You really need to try both of them for yourself. Especially since there is a huge price difference (double for the Tri-axis in the UK).

Well, it's more importent for me to get a preamp that has the best possible heavy-sound rather then being versatile.

I know the Triaxis has the Rectifier circuts onboard as of v2.
What do you mean by the Rectro Rec Preamp having a "better" Rectifier sound, more gain/drive, tighter, fatter more crunchy??

getting sick of the jmp-1 aye? :D

I've played both(mainly the triaxis though) and for me the triaixs just absolutely destroys it for heavy stuff!!

The triaixs hands down wins as far as heavy sounds go, check out an album called 'eternium' by diablo(I think) that is all triaxis- it's exactly your type of sound I think (i.e very tight, modern, meshuggah vibe etc)

let us know how it goes

peace

-j

jamesboyd said:

I've played both(mainly the triaxis though) and for me the triaixs just absolutely destroys it for heavy stuff!!

The triaixs hands down wins as far as heavy sounds go, check out an album called 'eternium' by diablo(I think) that is all triaxis- it's exactly your type of sound I think (i.e very tight, modern, meshuggah vibe etc)

let us know how it goes

peace

-j

Jepp, the JMP-1 just doesen't do it for me anymore....I need "more"...hehe.
The MESA poweramp was a huge improvment...thicker and more in you face sound then my Valvstate120/120.

Do you mean you've played boot the Triaxis and JMP or Triaxis and Recto Preamp?

I called the mesa vendor over here and the told med that the Traixis diden't really have a Rectifier mode, only a modified Mark IV mode on the
Lead 2 Red. I know Meshuggah used Rectifiers on DEI and Chaos wich both sounds awsome.

But the Mark IV doesen't sound as mean as the Rectifier, does it?

I can't say too much about Mark IV, but I have a Mark III head... It doesn't sound anything like a Rectifier, but I like it a lot more. I would say it is stronger in the mid-range department, whereas I would prefer Rectifier for a mid-scooped sound.

I've owned a jmp-1 and a mark iv and have played the rectifier preamp and triaxis as well.

The triaxis is *way* heavier than both the mark iv and rectifer(heads and preamps)

rectifier's aren't that great without a pedal, remember meshuggah used that t.c electronic booster pedal which would of totally changed the stock sound of the rectifier.

try the triaxis out first but I think you'll love it!!

check out a band called 'textures' as well- they've got a very similar tone to meshuggah and they used a triaxis as well.

peace

-j

jamesboyd said:
check out a band called 'textures' as well- they've got a very similar tone to meshuggah and they used a triaxis as well.

Textures use both the triaxis and the JMP-1 if I'm not mistaken. Excellent band by the way. They are obviously influenced by Meshuggah but they have their own 'sound' and take the polyrythm style somewhere else IMO. I was lucky enough to see Textures and Meshuggah on the same evening. :headbang:

What I think is really cool about Textures is that they skipped the demo phase, but recorded, mixed and mastered their debut album themselves and it sounds absolutely killer. I use it as a reference cd even though it's not exactly the style I play.
They also do their own artwork and did their own video and it all looks great too. :worship: to these guys

Hammer Bart said:
Textures use both the triaxis and the JMP-1 if I'm not mistaken. Excellent band by the way. They are obviously influenced by Meshuggah but they have their own 'sound' and take the polyrythm style somewhere else IMO. I was lucky enough to see Textures and Meshuggah on the same evening. :headbang:

What I think is really cool about Textures is that they skipped the demo phase, but recorded, mixed and mastered their debut album themselves and it sounds absolutely killer. I use it as a reference cd even though it's not exactly the style I play.
They also do their own artwork and did their own video and it all looks great too. :worship: to these guys
Respect to them for that, but I don't really like them... too Devin Townsend-Esque for my tastes.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Respect to them for that, but I don't really like them... too Devin Townsend-Esque for my tastes.

Hehe yeah if you're not into the occasional Townsend-Esque wall of keys than I understand why you don't like'em. I had a hard time getting used to the vocals btw.

well, I tried the tri-axis w/ the simuclass 90:2:90, and I currently own a modded Mesa Mark III head...and trying all the setting of the tri-axis, I certainly didn't think it was *way* heavier than my current amp. In fact, not that it sounded the same...it sounded a bit different...but nothing spectacular enough to put out the $2-3K for it.

...It was fairly versatile though...and that was kind of nice. Also - nothing sounded anything close to a recto tone on the tri-axis...atleast, in my opinion...

I have owned every piece of gear mentioned on this thread. I think the Triaxis IS the best for live use, mainly because with a Simul 2:90 and a processor like a G-Major you get awesome sound and unlimited versitility. On a budget, the JMP-1 with a good tube power amp can be a good rig too. I always used rack rigs up until recently when I fell in love with the simplicity of a head and cab.

I have had a few Mark IV and Mark III rigs, I never did understand why metal players always dogged the Mark IV, every gig guys would compliment my sound with the Mark IV, but on forums I always read that they arent heavy enogh or whatever. While it is ture that they dont get as buzz-saw fuzzy as a Dual or Triple Rec, they have a superb tone. I have used them in a couple former bands where we were tuned to drop C and never did I or anyone else find my tone lacking. But, to each his own, half the fun of being a guitarist is playing with all the myriad of gear we have available.

One last comment, for direct recording, a V-Twin is a good cheap direct preamp. Run it through a good tube compressor and an EQ, people will praise your tone for days. Also, as can be found right here on this forum, many guys, me included, have gotten great results with Pods. I still dont really like how my Pod XT Pro sounds live, but direct it is an invaluable tool. My two cents......

Hey j,

Where did you find out that the Diablo cd was done on the Triaxis? Other than seeing it listed in the guitar player's gear list on the Diablo site, I can't find any discussion of the band or what they used on that cd... unless it's in Finnish and I just have no friggin idea what's being said. :)

Any other bands besides Textures that are using the triaxis currently? I think Evergrey was using it.. not sure if they still are. Nevermore used it on their PoE cd I think. Obviously Dream Theater used it on their Images and Words cd.

Thanks,
Jeff

jamesboyd said:

let us know how it goes

peace

-j

Razorjack said:
Petrucci used a Mesa head on I&W as well as the tri-axis.

He did? Weird, Prater never mentioned that when I talked to him about it. You sure you aren't thinking "Awake" where he used about every friggin model of amp that Mesa has/had at the time?

Thanks,
Jeff

He used the C+ stuff on alot of discs... SFAM exclusively... I think 6DOIT as well. He used a Quad prior to I&W. Other than that... not real sure, but since I specifically asked Prater about the I&W setup and he only mentioned the TA + 2:90 thing... I assume that was it as far as Mesa gear goes for I&W.

Late,
Jeff