mesa boogie single rectifier vs triaxis

Nostalgiaplatz

So why not moving?
Dec 20, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm trying to decide which one to pick. Both have a very similar price (1200-1300€). I am more inclined for triaxis, since I can pick a different poweramp afterwards, but I've always been a big fan of heads instead of rack systems.

I am going to test the triaxis in few days, so anything you might say regarding this, will be taken in account.

I play mostly swedish death metal, stop-go-stop-go prog and heavy-rock stuff.

And while we are at it, is there any high-quality cab-simulator, just so I can record the triaxis directly? I currently have a POD XT and a V-Amp 2 which I can use for cab simulation, but I was looking for something better, if there's anything.

Thank you!

Thanks for the tips! I am much more inclined for the triaxis, but I heard mixed opinions on it a few months (if not a year or two) ago in this board. Any bands who recorded with a triaxis in the studio that you're sure they used a triaxis and not anything else?

As for the poweramp, I'll be pointing to Mesa/Marshall 20:20, one of them will be, depending on how they sound. I'll have to test em. I am asking this, majorly because It's not feasible to test the single recto, the guy who's selling it lives far from lisbon, while the guy selling the triaxis, lives near. I want to make sure I am not going to haste:)

Btw, second hand deals..

Nostalgiaplatz said:
Thanks for the tips! I am much more inclined for the triaxis, but I heard mixed opinions on it a few months (if not a year or two) ago in this board. Any bands who recorded with a triaxis in the studio that you're sure they used a triaxis and not anything else?

As for the poweramp, I'll be pointing to Mesa/Marshall 20:20, one of them will be, depending on how they sound. I'll have to test em. I am asking this, majorly because It's not feasible to test the single recto, the guy who's selling it lives far from lisbon, while the guy selling the triaxis, lives near. I want to make sure I am not going to haste:)

Btw, second hand deals..

my rig right now is a mesa rectifier recording preamp through a mesa 20/20. so basically a mesa single rectifier through an el84 poweramp. it sounds alright. the 20/20 isn't going to sound the same as one of their more powerful poweramps, but it sounds pretty decent, and it breaks up nicely.

the triaxis is different circuitry than the rectifier series, so it won't sound the same, but it will be more versatile. I like my rectifier recording pre but would also be happy with a traxis I'm sure.

btw, the 20/20 is probably louder than you'd expect ;)

I've owned both. The Triaxis is way more versatile than the Recto and the IIC+ algorithm it has is great. The Mesa 290 poweramp is good and will make it really heavy sounding, I used it with a Bogner Fish, but it tends to make the preamp dark. The VHT poweramps are overall a better power amp, I have a 2150. A used one is comparable in price to a used 290 poweramp.

I found that the gain with the head will have a little more "sizzle". the high gain is not quite that same with the triaxis 'cuz your basically distorting one tube, where the head gives you more of the saturated sound. especially with the 50 watts, you get the power tubes nice and cookin' at the perfect band volume. i wish i still had my head. i use the triaxis/2:90 but I've had both a dual and a single as well. and i'd say that the heads have some more balls than the rack.

I wish i still had a head, i only have 1 clean patch and one distorted patch and i just map them to different effects. Don't get me wrong, my rig sounds like God, but all the work involed and cables connecting it all together makes me wish i just had a head. No to mention the times i've thrown out my back carrying the damn rack up and down stairs:erk: and like i said earlier, the single rec sounds killer 'cuz you can saturated the power tubes and not drown out the rest of the band.:kickass:

let me amend a statment, the 2:90 amp is way too much power for anything less than an arena. you can get that ballsy tone the heads have, but you have to saturate EIGHT 6l6's to do it. I personally don't trust the half drive for that saturated tone.

Triaxis is a great preamp, but only if you have the right poweramp. i had the v.1 triaxis with a 2:95 poweramp. it sounded kinda thin. after some time i sold the 2:95 and bought a Strategy 500 poweramp and... o my god! was it the same preamp? the poweramp had a deep extended switch and a precense switch. big differens!

The triaxis compare to rectifier? i traded my old triaxis rigg for a Mesa Triple Rectifier. the recto tone was much bigger and powerful then the triaxis ever could produce. but as i sad, with the right poweramp it sounds killer!

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
First Nevermores are Triaxis, I think Dream Theater Awake as well... Really a nice piece of gear but as I said, if you go through a bad poweramp...

I believe that "Awake" was recorded with a mesa mark IIc+.
I'm pretty sure symphony x use triaxis... not sure in which albums though...
I haven't played neither of the amps you mentioned, but from what i've heard from albums i would say that triaxis ,even though it sounds good, it lacks compared to dual rectifier (i'm not sure about single rectifier though).

Keregioz said:
I believe that "Awake" was recorded with a mesa mark IIc+.
I'm pretty sure symphony x use triaxis... not sure in which albums though...
I haven't played neither of the amps you mentioned, but from what i've heard from albums i would say that triaxis ,even though it sounds good, it lacks compared to dual rectifier (i'm not sure about single rectifier though).

Actually Petrucci used a lot of amps on that record: markiic+, boogie dual, triaxis and I'm not sure if he used markiv

Some people like the recto more I guess. They're too fizzy for my taste and I think the notes get jumbled together. I find them good for pushing in the back of the mix for some low end and then having a high quality amp with actual note definition like a Shiva up front.

kaomao said:
Actually Petrucci used a lot of amps on that record: markiic+, boogie dual, triaxis and I'm not sure if he used markiv

Yeah, I think he used a majority of Mesas in production at the time... I think some of the bluesier stuff was a Blue Angel. And he quadrupled the guitar tracks.. two tracks of Recto, two of IIC+.

ttiwguitar said:
Yeah, I think he used a majority of Mesas in production at the time... I think some of the bluesier stuff was a Blue Angel. And he quadrupled the guitar tracks.. two tracks of Recto, two of IIC+.

and on falling into infinity he totally went nuts....on the 5 years in a livetime dvd you can briefly see his amp room for that record....basically a LARGE mesa boogie showroom. pretty much everything mesa ever built, from mark I over heartbreaker to dual recto.

he's insane :headbang: :loco:

Our hero James Murphy's "Convergence" album was a Triaxis I believe. James, care to elaborate on the full rig? I believe a TS10 tube screamer was involved as well as EMG 85 bridge pickup.

Seems like if you know what you're doing, the Triaxis can totally slay.