Message from Vanden Plas

Keep in mind that the situation with so-called "Homeland Security" can and does change at the drop of a hat anymore.... what was fine 6 months ago is not allowed anymore. You can't blame the artist for something the government has rules about..... it wasn't that long ago when Rob Halford had to cancel a US solo tour because of "paperwork".

My statement wasn't against VP. I was referring to the airport they flew out of. The band seemed to have everything they thought they'd need and assuming all other bands had pretty much the exact same paperwork, what was the issue with VP? You'd think any airports making international flights into the US would check all papers to make sure they have everything before getting into the US. It's not like they suddenly gained all the equipment they were flying with once in Detroit for them to wonder if they were going for business or pleasure.

I was certainly depressed, but made the best out of it. I know it is no one's fault, so I pass no blame to anyone and feel bad for all involved.... Vanden Plas for having 40 hours of travel to end back up where they started, to Shane knowing a crowd favorite wasn't going to show up and to all the VP fans who had to miss out on them. I hope we get VP back at another PPUSA.

Bryant

This was definitely a disappointment for me, since Christ0 was one of my favorite releases from last year. (Now I’m catching up on the rest of the catalog.)

Hope to see you all back at the festival, so we can enjoy some great music – and show you a much more hospitable welcome than what you got this year.

It would be interesting to have someone familiar with the process review the applicable paperwork to see if there really was something wrong. While we all understand the need for extra caution after 9/11, a customs agent shouldn’t be able to send folks packing just because he/she woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

While we all understand the need for extra caution after 9/11, a customs agent shouldn’t be able to send folks packing just because he/she woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Sadly, the way airport security/immigration and customs is currently run in the US, the above can easily happen. Rules change at the drop of a hat, and a lot of it depends on the mood of the person running the x-ray machine or checking the paperwork. Anyone that flies regularly in the US is in fear of the phrase "do you want to fly today?" when questioning any sort of new, unwritten rule or search at an airport.

This is not an easy thing to deal with, and sadly I don't see it getting better anytime soon, as it seems like anyone in charge doesn't care, since of course they don't have to deal with any sort of hassle when going to the airport.

dt

You'd think any airports making international flights into the US would check all papers to make sure they have everything before getting into the US.

In my experience the airport staff have never asked whether I had the right papers to enter the US. Most Europeans are allowed in on 'visa waiver', so I guess they assume people with a European passport will be ok.

Last time I entered the US the checkin woman did flick through my passport and notice I had a visa, and gave me a form I didn't actually need, so I don't think they are immigration experts.

From what I heard, it sometimes has to do with the visa expiration dates. Often times customs won't let you in with a visa that will expire in less than 30 days from the time you enter the country. The reason is that sometimes that for one reason or another that you might not be able to leave on time (ex. medical, travel problems, etc.) and you'll still be here on an expired visa. Hence you should make 100% sure that the visa will be good for LONG after you plan on leaving.

I was so disappointed when I got the news. Atleast the reasons for you not making it were travel problems and not something worse.

I heard from someone that they had tourists visas and when questioned about what they were doing here they said they were playing a show and i guess they put 2 and 2 together and figured they would be making some monies and thats where the problem lied..

This isn't the first band that has tried to get into the US for shows with that kind of Visa. I don't know who is responsible for getting visa's, but I DO know "work" visa's which overseas bands do need to have in order to play here create a nightmare of paperwork and cost an exhorbant amount of money. I can understand why bands are trying to .. well, essentially sneak by with a tourist visa, but if this thing is going to continue to happen in the future....

edit: Not sure how totally accurate this is at all or anything, but it comes from a good source.

Does anyone know for sure if Vanden Plas were deported? It would *really* suck if they can't come back for seven years because of the incident last week.