Metal 2017

haha, i do think it's pretty bad but i was also being deliberately provocative there. to be less controversial, i'd say precious navel-gazing shit like bon iver is worse than that beyonce album, as is quite a bit of hipster-approved metal these days. fortunately i haven't kept up with the hyped stuff this year so i can't confidently name a bunch of inferior stuff on that list, but going by previous years i'm sure it's there.
Bon Iver is a scourge upon music, so is nearly all navel-gazer hipster trite, particularly the hipster metal. I put plastic pop and that drivel in the same dumping ground. Blackstar was hyped as hell, yeah, I agree, but to me, it wasn't a disappointment at all, it just continued the streak of rather impressive later period records he'd been dropping the last 10 or 15 odd years. I'll admit I do have a soft spot for it, seeing it was the goodbye record of one of my uncontested favorite musical creators.

Overhyped is strange in this case, I'd say it was appropriately hyped given the situation.
Precisely. It not only continued the streak of good records he'd been having, but it was as if he was pouring the last remainder of his cosmic whimsy and soul into those songs, and it came out beautifully. I remember buying and slapping it in my CD player on release day and being simply awestruck, love at first listen. Then he passed just a couple days later and was heart-torn.

David Bowie wrote it knowing he was surely going to die before he'd even get a chance to promote it. That kind of circumstance warrants hype, he was one of the few genuinely globally respected musical artists left.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
David Bowie wrote it knowing he was surely going to die before he'd even get a chance to promote it. That kind of circumstance warrants hype, he was one of the few genuinely globally respected musical artists left.

i only meant relative to album quality, not relative to his legacy or the situation or w/e. i don't begrudge him the hype at all.

New Nokturnal Mortum teaser.

They say album coming in winter, not sure when winter is for them tho tbh.

Is there any Bowie album worth listening to? I'm asking because I've only heard like three songs from him
His second eponymous album, also known as Space Oddity, Young Americans, Aladdin Sane, Station To Station, The Man Who Sold The World, PinUps, Diamond Dogs, Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars, Low, Heroes, and Scary Monsters for classics.

Reactions: CiG