Metal 2018

New Amorphis due in May.

28056697_10159825455825276_5647386819400635124_n.jpg

Wait Amorphis has sucked huge cock for like 15 years now, no? Or did I miss something?

Have you heard the recent Malokarpatan album? I've got to know about their existence because of you, I remember clearly. :) You posted their debut, and I was extremely pleased with it.

Malokarpatan is cool. I've only heard the new one once so far, I have to get back to it. I don't really have anything to say to my defense expect that I've been checking loads of new music recently.

You tell me, I guess.

Yeah I don't like that, but I remember them being even worse at some point. Whatever.

Wait Amorphis has sucked huge cock for like 15 years now, no? Or did I miss something?

Yeah you missed something. Under the Red Cloud was damn good. It was in the top in many Album of the year-lists.

Yeah I don't like that, but I remember them being even worse at some point. Whatever.

Sounds like you dont like any of their albums so why even comment? Or maybe you like their first demo...

Last edited:
Yeah you missed something. Under the Red Cloud was damn good. It was in the top in many Album of the year-lists.

Yeah I saw that on M-A, the avg review is 90% apparently.

Sounds like you dont like any of their albums so why even comment? Or maybe you like their first demo...

I like their early stuff, yeah, although I grew sort of tired of Privilege of Evil after hearing it many times.

Ok. You said they have sucked for about 15 years, maybe you just picked a number but if you like Tales and Elegy I dont see how you can say albums like Eclipse, Skyforger, Circle and UtRC sucks huge cock. They are solid releases with a few incredible songs, imo.

Reactions: Evil Dead
Ok. You said they have sucked for about 15 years, maybe you just picked a number but if you like Tales and Elegy I dont see how you can say albums like Eclipse, Skyforger, Circle and UtRC sucks huge cock. They are solid releases with a few incredible songs, imo.

Yeah I picked a number, more or less. Frankly, I admit I was mistaken about the universal reception of their new material (I still think it's bad, but I made a misstep there).

Alright, I relistened to the early Amorphis material anyway, so here's a few notes on that:

- Disment of Soul is just amazing. Pure Finnish death metal at its finest. I don't know how they managed to get a sound so heavy but they did. Bludgeoning, heavy, in your face. All I want. This makes me want to compare it with other findeath demos from that era, like 1991. I will do that later. EXCURSHN FROM EXISTAAAANCE.

- The 1991 EP has a crisper sound but is still as heavy. At this point in time, Vulgar Necrolatry is a classic.

- I haven't heard Karelian Isthmus in a while. It's not as raw and I'm starting to feel some of the later deficiencies. However, once you get into it, it connects together quite well. Some of the riffs are becoming a little draggy, but only slightly, and one has to count with this in a full-length. Album is a more extensive format and this actually goes well in this aspect - it has epic moments and cool gradations.

- Yeah, considering all that, Privilege of Evil should be a good overview of everything good in early Amorphis. Apart from Misery Path and Vulgar Necrolatry, which are the same as the single, this contains earlier recordings/versions of some songs from Karelian Isthmus. They do sound heavier here, but that might be the production alone (and yes I like it better this way). This is the release that I've been listening to the most from this band, and I just confirmed myself why. As I said, I used to be fed up with this EP, but only because I had it on my mp3 player and listened to it repeatedly on my way to the uni, now I'm enjoying it again, just as I should be.

If I had to rate the releases like a M-A reviewer I would do it along these lines:

Disment of Soul - 95%
Amorphis - 95%
Privilege of Evil - 90-95%, somewhere there
The Karelian Isthmus - 85%

Any opinions on that, or should we move to the death metal thread? I should probably at least do Tales now, to complete the thing and establish when the suckage began.

Last edited:
Yeah I picked a number, more or less. Frankly, I admit I was mistaken about the universal reception of their new material (I still think it's bad, but I made a misstep there).

Alright, I relistened to the early Amorphis material anyway, so here's a few notes on that:

- Disment of Soul is just amazing. Pure Finnish death metal at its finest. I don't know how they managed to get a sound so heavy but they did. Bludgeoning, heavy, in your face. All I want. This makes me want to compare it with other findeath demos from that era, like 1991. I will do that later. EXCURSHN FROM EXISTAAAANCE.

- The 1991 EP has a crisper sound but is still as heavy. At this point in time, Vulgar Necrolatry is a classic.

- I haven't heard Karelian Isthmus in a while. It's not as raw and I'm starting to feel some of the later deficiencies. However, once you get into it, it connects together quite well. Some of the riffs are becoming a little draggy, but only slightly, and one has to count with this in a full-length. Album is a more extensive format and this actually goes well in this aspect - it has epic moments and cool gradations.

- Yeah, considering all that, Privilege of Evil should be a good overview of everything good in early Amorphis. Apart from Misery Path and Vulgar Necrolatry, which are the same as the single, this contains earlier recordings/versions of some songs from Karelian Isthmus. They do sound heavier here, but that might be the production alone (and yes I like it better this way). This is the release that I've been listening to the most from this band, and I just confirmed myself why. As I said, I used to be fed up with this EP, but only because I had it on my mp3 player and listened to it repeatedly on my way to the uni, now I'm enjoying it again, just as I should be.

If I had to rate the releases like a M-A reviewer I would do it along these lines:

Disment of Soul - 95%
Amorphis - 95%

Any opinions on that, or should we move to the death metal thread? I should probably at least do Tales now, to complete the thing and establish when the suckage began.

or you could make an amorphis thread. fuck the general threads!

i need to hear these demos as i'm with you on preferring the EP to TKI.

Reactions: Onder

Disment of Soul - 95%
Amorphis - 95%

Ok, cool! But that confirms that you probably like 5% of what they have released, if even that, the first 1,5 releases from the first 3 years from a massive back catalogue in a 27 year long career. Nothing wrong with that, but do you honestly expect them to release something like the demos ever again? If not, why even complain 25 years after the "suckage" began. Kind of pointless imo.
But lets not derail this thread more than we allready have. :) Cheers.

Reactions: Onder