Metal Bassists...who are your favorites?

face of godzilla said:
geddy lee owns ye all.

I own 2 Rush albums, their first one and Hemispheres and i'm having difficulty in seeing what's so good about Geddy Lee. His bass doesn't stand out like Les Claypool's or Flea's, his basslines don't seem particularly complicated and he doesn't play bass solos(none which I know of), so could saomeone please tell me why Geddy Lee's so good?

Lemmy

In no particular order:

Cliff Burton
Jason Newstead
Geezer Butler
Robert Trujillo (when he was in Suicidal Tendencies)
Steve Harris
Dave Ellefson
Gene Simmons
Blackie Lawless (early WASP days)
Nikki Sixx
Frank Bello
Tom Araya

plus more I can't think of offhand.

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Profånity said:
I own 2 Rush albums, their first one and Hemispheres and i'm having difficulty in seeing what's so good about Geddy Lee. His bass doesn't stand out like Les Claypool's or Flea's, his basslines don't seem particularly complicated and he doesn't play bass solos(none which I know of), so could saomeone please tell me why Geddy Lee's so good?

Here we go-
First..the GODS of metal bass-
Steve Harris
Geezer Butler
Cliff Burton

From there I also like-
DiGorgio
Mike LePond(symph x)
John Myung
Lemmy (nothing fancy..but solid as a rock)

Uhh..can't hear the bass in Rush? did you actaully listen to that Cd? During the Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres era, Geddy was using a Rickebacker bass. That make of bass has a VERY distinctive, trebly biting sound that can't be missed. Listen carefully...you can hear Geddy's biting low end push Rush songs hard.
"Freewill " is a VERY good example of this.

yeah, when it comes to rush the bass is huge, the song wouldn't exist without it (same way bass is everything in primus)...but those cds arent great examples for geddy's maniac-ness...listen to stuff like farewell to kings, permanent waves, and even the newest one vapor trails...there are some ridiculous bass lines on that album. or just listen to the song YYZ, and that says it all.

Profanity said:
I bet anyone who invents a gay instrument and put the word bass in its name will be seen as good.
I thought some of his playing with LTE sounded good. I'm no bassist, though.