metal bassists

Dec 23, 2005
Does anybody know of any REALLY good metal bassists. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Steve Harris and Geddy Lee (but Rush isn't really metal).

A lot of bass players get overlooked because their playing is not as evident in the song as the guitars, drums or vocals.

I always liked Necrobutcher from Mayhem and Magnus Olsfelt from The Crown though.

MasterOLightning said:
Steve DiGiorgio and Tony Choy are both quite awesome. Dave Ellefson from Megadeth is solid.

What I've heard by Dave Ellefson was good but doesn't he play with a pick cause that would just kill it.

This is the one thing that pisses me off about metal. Metal Bassists don't get the credit they desurve. It's mostly about vocals and guitars.

After seeing the BE DVD, I really got to notice how important the bass is in the album, that said Kristoffer Gildenlow is an amazing bassist.

Only 201 posts left and Erik has 20k posts, lawlz.

Steve DiGiorgio(Death,Sadus,ex Testament,Quo Vadis,........)
Roger Patterson(Atheist,My favorite bass player with steve)
Sean Malone(Cynic)
Tony Choy(ex Atheist,Pestilence, forgot his nonemetal band right now)
Chris Richards(ex Suffocation)
Stefan Fimmers(Necrophagist)
Steve Cloutier(Gorguts)
Doug Keyser(Watchtower)
Pete Perez(Spastic Ink)
Lars Nornberg(Spiral Architect)
Eric langlois(Cryptopsy)
Alex Webster(Cannibal Corpse)
Tyr(Borknagar)

I'm sure im forgot but these are the first names and incredible bassists\m/

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
Does anybody know of any REALLY good metal bassists. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Steve Harris and Geddy Lee (but Rush isn't really metal).
CLIFF BURTON:worship:
Steve DiGiorgio
Alex Webster

Geddy Lee is good (except the vocals), who gives a fuck if he's metal or not? Besides, if someone refers to themselves as a strictly "metal" bassist, they probably suck at playing bass.

Erik said:
johan defarfalla, opeth's bassist on the first two albums

Not to... uhh... mention Martin or anything...

Eric Langlois from Cryptopsy is a standout and my favorite.
The bassist for Vehehemce is one of the few extreme bassists who I've heard use slap bass effectively.
The Australian band HALO only has a bass player, no guitarists, and they're the heaviest thing ever.
Varg was an extremely underrated bassist. Hardly a soloist, but his notes are perfect.
Bassist for the French tech band Scarve has some really impressive stuff when you can hear him, though he gets buried too often.
Bassist for the English, um, "tech" band Sikth is really a hoss, and he's actually pretty audible throughout their songs.

Oh yeah. And me...
438176800_l.jpg

I never expected that from you, Erik. But yes, the bass on Morningrise is indeed great. It's like a third guitar much of the time.

Regarding Roger Patterson, did he write the bass lines for UP? I'm pretty sure Tony Choy played them on the album.

Also, John Myung from Dream Theater is quite good, if you consider them a metal band.

John Myung from Dream Theater, the Symphony X bassist, well basically every bassist in a prog band.

I also like Lauri Porra's work in Stratovarius and Warmen

MasterOLightning said:
Regarding Roger Patterson, did he write the bass lines for UP? I'm pretty sure Tony Choy played them on the album.
Patterson wrote like 90% of the bass lines on UP. Choy just listened to the pre-prod tape and tried to do the best he could to imitate it while still adding his touch. I think the little thing Choy added make a pretty big difference but Patterson did a great job overall, he often came with the riffs used in the songs in fact.

andrew_plamondon said:
MasterOLightning said:
Patterson wrote like 90% of the bass lines on UP. Choy just listened to the pre-prod tape and tried to do the best he could to imitate it while still adding his touch. I think the little thing Choy added make a pretty big difference but Patterson did a great job overall, he often came with the riffs used in the songs in fact.

Yeah, its true that Patterson wrote the basslines.I remember that Tony Choy had managed to play the basslines that Roger Patterson wrote in 6 months.:)(I have read it in somewhere but i dont remember where:))