Metal bigger in Europe than in USA?

In the 80's Metal was a stadium, or large venue attraction. 20,000 seat arena's sold out easily. Smaller venues, with like 5,000 seats sold out quickly for the smaller acts, but had like three on the bill. When the 90's hit though, it was pretty harsh to see a metal show. I was lucky if I saw a sold out 1,000 seat venue. Or an 800. Usually it was only half that. And there was little profit in it, if any, for anyone involved. It's not that the fans left totally, but I would say that 75% of them turned to other forms of music (Alternative, punk , grunge, the last of the glam scene)...the other 10-25% of the fans for the harder metal still stayed with what they liked, but the numbers certainly dwindled.

Someone mentioned Slayer. I have always liked Slayer, always been a fan. But their fans are extremely obsessive...there are metal fans, and there are Slayer Fans. And Slayer fans are freaks about their favorite band, and support them heavily on the road. Always have. But, they sell (as far I remember), 1,200 seat venues out, two nights in a row in one city. For a metal act, that is quite a feat in the US.

But, I am slowly seeing a turn here in the US. As nu-metal gasps it's dying breath, other forms of metal are waiting right behind it to take it's place. Like the "hard core" bands. But on the whole, I am seeing, especially recently, venues getting packed tighter and tighter. Pretty soon, I hope, the bands will be playing venues that are 2000 seats or more.

I don't know about Europe. But, I believe that the fans on the whole, are not as fickle as some of the ones in the US. That's just my opinion.

Promotions? It's internet promotions, and that's about it. Those in charge issue a press release, and submit it to the major websites, and that's about all the promotions that are done here in the US. If you get a tour poster--that's amazing! It's a lot of word of mouth, and internet. In other words, we as fans take care of ourselves, and must search for the tour dates, and stay on top of what we like and who's doing what. It's all for one, and one for all....sadly.

Really, being a metal fan in the US is a lot of hard work!

@north sea- i agree totaly (i was actualy about to say that myself)... its the fact that everyone is worried about being marked as a satanist or whatever... theres to many people that are close to god and not willing to keep there beliefs but still listen to whatever music they want. they think that if you listen to music with bad lyrics something will happen to them... if you ever notice about 99.99% of metal heads all question the existence of god or are atheist whatever... me i couldnt give a shit whether god exist or not... all these christians think something will happen to them if they listen to metal or something... or some crap like that....
in europe i hear theres more variety in different religions (unless i was lied to) and they are more care free about who believes in what... if thats correct that would have to be a big part of it.

Well, here are some of my random thoughts...

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I go to most of the shows here in the Phoenix area and have done so for the past 16 years. I also go to other cities in the US to see shows including my yearly jaunt to Milwaukee every summer for the Metalfest. I have been listening to metal since about 1980. I listen to all genres (death, black, power, prog, thrash, grind, etc...). I have also been to shows in Europe and Asia.

I just got back from 3 weeks of vacation in Germany and the Netherlands. During those 3 weeks I went to 9 concerts. They were:

April 18 - Autumn, Immolation & Cradle of Filth in Amsterdam, attendance approx 3000.
April 20 - Noordschok Festival in Groningen, Netherlands (Entombed, Altar, Katafalk, Pro-pain, Monastery, Autumn, and others), attendance approx 2000.
April 21 - No Mercy Fest in Tilburg, Netherlands (Testament, Death Angel, Nuclear Assault, Marduk, Darkane, Aborted, God Dethroned, Pro-Pain), attendance approx 2000.
April 22 - The Haunted, Mastodon & Hatesphere in Cologne, Germany, attendance approx 300.
April 28 - Children of Bodom, Soilwork & Shadows Fall in Nurnberg, Germany, attendance approx 1000.
May 2 - Callenish Circle CD Release Party in Sittard, Netherlands, attendance approx 350.
May 3 - Vader, Deranged, Arkhon Infaustus, Arise in Amsterdam, attendance approx 150.
May 7 & 8 - Thyrfing, Ancient Rites, Blood Red Throne, Primordial, Septic Flesh and Skyfire in Ludwigsburg and Essen respectively. attendance approx 100-200 at each show.

These shows ran the spectrum in terms of attendance from a high of 3000 at the Cradle of Filth show to 100 at the Ludwigsburg show of the Thyrfing, etc... show. In comparison, I know the Cradle of Filth, No Mercy, Noordschok, and Children of Bodom shows would not have drawn near that much in Phoenix, which is a large metropolitan area of over 3 million people. For the other shows, I think we would have had equal or larger crowds in Phoenix.

Now for what really stood out to me as I went to these shows. Based on these shows and one other show I saw in Vienna last year with Cannibal Corpse, Dew-Scented and Severe Torture, it is my impression that European metal fans are much more enthusiastic and are much more "metal" than most American metal fans. And the atmosphere at the shows is quite different. In Phoenix, for the most part, the "pit" dominates the show. And the shows are more violent in that respect. You will get a pit at almost every show. To not have one is the exception. In contrast, at the European shows I have been to there were virtually no pits. Instead, what I saw was large numbers of guys AND girls, bent at the waist and banging their heads, windmilling their hair to every song for the entire length of the song. I am talking multiple rows of people, bent at the waist, all banging their heads. That is not something you see at US shows. Usually only the front row of the crowd that is really banging their heads and not with the reckless abandon that I saw in Europe. Also, from talking to people at the shows in Europe, they have a better appreciation of the history of metal. And they listen to a larger variety of metal than US fans. Another thing that stood out to me was the large number of people with jean jackets covered with band patches. Every show I went to had a bunch of people wearing these. Again, I do not see that in Phoenix.

So anyway, those are some rambling thoughts and perceptions of mine. Take it as you will.

Verey good observations. Did you also notice tight pants and lots of leather?

Most here don't have anything to headbang with so they do what they know best "redneck olympics" by running in circles and swinging whatever bodypart they can swing. Looks pretty fucking stupid to me.

Tomasz said:
Verey good observations. Did you also notice tight pants and lots of leather?

Most here don't have anything to headbang with so they do what they know best "redneck olympics" by running in circles and swinging whatever bodypart they can swing. Looks pretty fucking stupid to me.

Its always interesting to read things about how foreigners see the European scene:)
Some things which are quite common here in Europe seem to be totally uncommon in the US (girls on shows, patches, leather, headbanging...) ...a bit strange in my eyes.

Wow Tomasz...
It seems in America are quite some kids there on concerts. Running in circles and swing the arms. Sounds like a crowd of headless chickens flattering around.

You forgot to mention that the beer is much cheaper at metal shows in Europe, instead of ridiculous waste of money for watered down US beer. Most festivals or shows I saw in Belgium had people driving from France, Holland, some from England or Germany and as far as Switzerland or Italy now you are talking 1000+ miles to see a show or go to 2/3 venues. You also have local bands or people trying to promote their band, selling their demo outside venues, talking to fans, exchanging phone#. Most US fans seem to like a band for a while then switch to something newer. Fans in Europe will support bands for years, reason why so many european bands have been around for so long look at kreator, destruction, sodom, darkthrone, mayhem, and the list goes on and on .... of course i am not mentioning big US acts like slayer. Now, I am not saying that there are no hardcore fans in the US, but they are a dying breed.

I dont think you can compare European metal and American metal. They are different in many ways, for example try to compare Cannibal Corpse and Amon Amarth. You see you cant, they are different in so many ways, yet they are my favorite bands. I think Europe and America can both make very good metal, except for the gay shit like Slipknot, Korn, Distburbed. You know the wannabe bands that suck ass and are mainstream.

Canada - Quebec - Montreal & Quebec city have a good scene :) I dont know if its as good as Europe tho, Dying fetus thanks the "quebecer" in one of there album! And im about 99% sure Amon amarth loves coming to montreal!

Well, as a person who lived in both continents for a couple of years, I can say that metal in Europe is much much bigger than in US. I'm not going to compare gigs' quality&quantity&attendance but after my three years of living in East Coast, I at last met an Amon Amarth fan "in person."

When you say "metal" in US, what most ppl think is

1- You're talking about gothic/industrial [stuff like Seraphim Shock, Bauhaus etc.]
2- You're talking about stuff like Godsmack, Cold, P.O.D [and you want to kill those certain people, drown them in their own blodd etc..]
3- You're a nerd...
4- As some of them think that the whole world is about their own country, they know only the good&the old and the mighty: Speed metal classics like Exodus, Anthrax, Megadeth, or Slayer. They have no idea about Europe, other than Maiden, and in very rare moments, King Diamond. Scandinavia? What's that, a new japansese car brand?!

Heh :) I wish I were back home...

ScorpionShard said:
1- You're talking about gothic/industrial [stuff like Seraphim Shock, Bauhaus etc.]
QUOTE]

:erk: Most of that shit is terrible, at least I haven't heard anything of good quality. Except Vasaria of course :hotjump:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

Minimum age for alcohol consumption: NY Area: 21!
Minimum age in europe: 18. In Spain, walk into a market when you are 16, ask for beer, voila!

Damn, I'm tired of flipping out my id to get a six pack every time! "It's the law" the person behind the counter says, "Kiss me arse" I want to reply!

[I saw Sasha live, and I was not thast impressed. In the same event my friend hit on Iio's singer, she was not hot, but hey, if one gets a chance at celebrity fuck, y not heheh :)]

I think it ain't bigger in Europe then in USA, but in Europe their are less Nu-metal shitbands than in USA, like the half of all 'metalbands' in the USA are NU-metal bands and the rest are the good ones like slayer and stuff.

Asesino said:
I think it ain't bigger in Europe then in USA, but in Europe their are less Nu-metal shitbands than in USA, like the half of all 'metalbands' in the USA are NU-metal bands and the rest are the good ones like slayer and stuff.

well, we weren't really including nu-metal in the metal-discussion ;)

But, I don't know, I do think it is bigger in Europe. In Belgium alone, we have a quite good band-base. And Scandinavia has soooo many more bands. I am here now in Sweden, and one of my friends who is also here in Sweden with me, is surprised how many "black" people are walking around here. And I already thought that there weren't that much here compared to Finland.

But political correctness is a pain in the ass in the US probably.
None of my friends listen to metal, but they all know I do, and they really don't give a rat's ass what I would listen to! The first time I tell them, they have a kind of surprised look on their face (because I never wear band shirts and kind of dress "trendy" (not that I follow fashion or something :loco: )) but after that they are pretty okay with it, and they don't have these ignorant thoughts about me eating them in their sleep, or cutting myself, or me running around on cemetaries at night... (although I do make jokes about that sometimes! And if they think I do something crazy, I just blame it on the metal! simple as that! :p )

Yeah, countries like Sweden and Norway rock, they have a shitload of good bands. But i heard a rumor that the governments would ban gothic/metal lifestyle because it's getting out of hand. Anyway, it would be cool to see more black in the streets, cuz here in Belgium it ain't all that. A lot of punk and stuff, hardcore, and if you search very hard you'll find the metal bands. But once you're in the scene you get easy acces to all the new bands and it ain't that heard to stay updated.

Asesino said:
Yeah, countries like Sweden and Norway rock, they have a shitload of good bands. But i heard a rumor that the governments would ban gothic/metal lifestyle because it's getting out of hand.

haha where on earth have you heard that? no offence, but that's just too stupid to belive :)