Metal Classics

TH3_MAd_HAKKR

New Metal Member
Jul 1, 2010
Hi, I created this thread as an experiment and an educational tool a while ago on another forum to increase my (and hopefully others) knowledge of metal across the board. Basically the idea is to list albums which are acknowledged as classics in the metal community. By classics I mean albums which were both highly influential and of exceptional quality.

This does not include...

-your personal favourites
-albums which you think should be classics or which are underrated

The purpose of this was to try to gain an understanding of the general consensus of the metal community on which albums have endured the test of time, I would say that there are probably only 10-20 albums in each subgenre which fall into this category. The list below is the one created on another forum, I think it was fairly successful but it could use some fleshing out in some areas.

The way I generated this list was quite democratic, any suggestions will be considered (although posters who suggest In Flames is classic death metal or Cradle of Filth classic black metal will be ignored), most will be implemented. Any suggestions which are not self evident should be accompanied by an argument.

Edit: List Updated

Traditional/Power Metal

Black Sabbath – Paranoid, Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, Heaven and Hell
Accept – Restless and Wild
Iron Maiden – S/T, Powerslave, Killers, The Number of the Beast
Judas Priest – Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, British Steel
Diamond Head – Lightning to the Nations
Motorhead – Overkill, Ace of Spades
King Diamond - Abigail
Manilla Road – Crystal Logic
Dio – Holy Diver
Satan – Court in the Act
Angel Witch – S/T
Cloven Hoof – S/T
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within, Awaken the Guardian
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Manowar - Hail to England
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King

Doom Metal

Candlemass – Epicus Doomus Metallicus, Nightfall
Cathedral – Forest of Equilibrium
Electric Wizard – Dopethrone
Saint Vitus – Born too Late
Trouble – Psalm 9
My Dying Bride – Turn Loose the Swans, Angel and the Dark River
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet

Thrash Metal/Speed Metal

Kreator – Pleasure to Kill, Extreme Aggression, Coma of Souls
Sodom – Obsessed by Cruelty
Destruction – Eternal Devastation, Release From Agony
Coroner – R.I.P., No More Color
Helloween – Walls of Jericho, Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt 1/Pt 2
Sabbat – History of a Time to Come
Metallica – Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...and Justice for All
Slayer – Show no Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss
Dark Angel – Darkness Descends
Megadeth – Peace Sells...but who's Buying?, Rust in Peace
Anthrax – Spreading the Disease, Among the Living
Exodus – Bonded by Blood, Pleasures of the Flesh
Testament – The Legacy
Metal Church – S/T, The Dark
Merciless – The Awakening
Overkill – The Years of Decay
Annihilator – Alice in Hell
Watchtower – Energetic Disassembly, Control and Resistance

Death Metal (including deathgrind)

At the Gates – The Red in the Sky is Ours
Possessed – Seven Churches
Sepultura – Morbid Visions
Death – Scream Bloody Gore
Master – S/T
Obituary – Slowly We Rot
Death – Leprosy, Human
Autopsy – Severed Survival
Morbid Angel – Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick, Covenant
Deicide – S/T, Legion
Suffocation – Effigy of the Forgotten, Pierced from Within
Incantation – Onward to Golgotha
Atheist – Unquestionable Presence
Immolation – Dawn of Possession, Here in After
Asphyx – The Rack
Entombed – Left Hand Path, Clandestine
Dismember – Like an Everflowing Stream
Grave – Into the Grave
Carnage – Dark Recollections
Pestilence – Consuming Impulse
Unleashed – Where no Life Dwells
Vader – De Profundis
Napalm Death – Harmony Corruption
Demilich – Nespithe
Demigod – Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Nocturnus – The Key
Cynic – Focus
Napalm Death – Scum
Repulsion – Horrified
Carcass – Reek of Putrefaction, Symphonies of Sickness
Brutal Truth – Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses
Terrorizer – World Downfall

Black Metal

Celtic Frost – Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion
Bathory – S/T, The Return, Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Venom – Black Metal
Mercyful Fate – Melissa
Hellhammer – Apocalyptic Raids, Triumph of Death
Tormentor – Anno Domini
Sarcofago – INRI
Blasphemy – Fallen Angel of Doom
Mayhem – Deathcrush, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Burzum – S/T, Det Some Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filosofem
Immortal – Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, Pure Holocaust, Battles in the North
Darkthrone – A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor – In the Nightside Eclipse, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Gorgoroth – Pentagram
Enslaved – Vikingligr Veldi
Marduk - Opus Nocturne
Samael – Worship Him, Blood Ritual
Beherit – Drawing Down the Moon
Dissection – The Somberlain, Storm of the Light's Bane
Satyricon – Dark Medieval Times, Nemesis Divina
Graveland – The Celtic Winter, Carpathian Wolves, Thousand Swords, Following the Voice of Blood

An obvious omission from your list would be Satyricon's first three albums. Dark Medieval Times, The Shadowthrone, and Nemesis Divina. I think their first five albums are excellent but their first three are the most acclaimed ones.

Graveland should be on any black metal list with releases like The Celtic Winter, Carpathian Wolves, and if you want, Thousand Swords and Following the Voice of Blood.

Perhaps Master's Hammer should be included under black metal as well with their album Ritual in '91. You can trace some elements of the Norwegian sound to this one.

Also, if you are indeed going to list Dissection in 2nd Wave Black Metal, why didn't you include Storm of the Light's Bane also?

Heavy Metal:

Manilla Road- Crystal Logic (Just so damn epic!)

Black Sabbath- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, Heaven and Hell (You've got 4 records for a number of other bands. The most important metal band ever deserves five. Also, you've gotta have one Dio- Sabbath record on the list).

Doom metal:

My Dying Bride- Turn Loose the Swans, Angel and the Dark River (these have been widely influential on the genre)

Theatre of Tragedy- Velvet Darkness they Fear (Very influential on female fronted doom metal)

Katatonia- Brave Murder Day? Maybe...

Skepticism- Stormcrowfleet (a founding record within funeral doom)

Black Metal:

Filosofem is the second most important Burzum album.

Emperor's Anthem's at the Welkin at Dusk should be on the list. Haters will hate, but the compositions are really intricate and elaborate; it also the most important symphonic black metal album.

For Dissection, Storm of the Lights Bane is better than The Somberlain

I really don't get what people see in Behrit. I think the band is complete and utter shit and has no business on an essentials list.

I second some Graveland- Carpathian Wolves and Following the Voice of Blood especially.

Death Metal:

Nocturnus- The Key (The first example I can think of keyboards being successfully implemented in death metal.)

Thrash

Merciless - The Awakening to Euro thrash.

And Justice for All & Rust in Peace are missing.

Death Metal

Second the vote for Nocturnus.

Covenant is considered more of a classic than Blessed are the Sick.

At the Gates - TRITSIO.

If we're going so far as breaking down into first/second wave BM, it seems a few other sub-genre's are missing - Death/Doom etc.

Heavy Metal:

Judas Priest - British Steel, (Screaming For Vengeance)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Iron Maiden - Killers, Number of the Beast
Dio - Holy Diver

[EDIT:]

American Thrash:

Overkill - The Years of Decay
Annihilator - Alice In Hell

(European) Power Metal:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys parts I+II

And as others have said, Black Sabbath - Sabotage+Heaven And Hell, Megadeth - Rust In Peace, Metallica - ...And Justice For All.

For progressive metal...

Cynic - Focus
Dream Theater - Images & Words, Awake
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry
Watchtower - Energetic Dissasembly, Control & Resistance

And USPM/traditional...

List updated,

First off, I think some people are confused as to how detailed this is meant to be in terms of sub-genres. I only split certain sub-genres to make listing easier, so I'm not really considering say, 1st and 2nd wave black metal as separate sub-genres, but I thought it made the layout clearer. I have now simplified the list so the only sub-genres are...

Traditional/Power Metal
Doom Metal
Thrash Metal/Speed Metal (This allows for everything which is somewhere in between thrash metal and traditional heavy metal)
Death Metal
Black Metal

and Other...

I suppose an argument could be made to include Power Metal as a separate category but I think most 'classic' Power Metal fits under the label Traditional anyway. I'm not including obscure categories like 'stoner' metal, as I don't think they are significant enough in terms of the development of metal as a genre to warrant a separate category. I have also not included 'progressive' metal as I believe that describes an approach more than a style, 'progressive' metal can be in any style. The 'progressive' metal suggestions have been included under other categories.

Secondly, I only have a good working knowledge of Death Metal and Black Metal, so if someone makes a really dumb suggestion under another category it will probably fly under my radar, so feel free to critique suggestions made by other posters.

Replies to suggestions...

An obvious omission from your list would be Satyricon's first three albums. Dark Medieval Times, The Shadowthrone, and Nemesis Divina. I think their first five albums are excellent but their first three are the most acclaimed ones.

Graveland should be on any black metal list with releases like The Celtic Winter, Carpathian Wolves, and if you want, Thousand Swords and Following the Voice of Blood.

Perhaps Master's Hammer should be included under black metal as well with their album Ritual in '91. You can trace some elements of the Norwegian sound to this one.

Also, if you are indeed going to list Dissection in 2nd Wave Black Metal, why didn't you include Storm of the Light's Bane also?

I'm not so sure that all three Satyricon albums are necessary, I've included Dark Medieval Times and Nemesis Divina, feel free to critique my choice.

Graveland were probably the most glaring omission, I'm surprised I missed that.

I haven't added Master's Hammer as you didn't seem completely sure, please confirm whether you think this should be included.

Dissection's 2nd has been added.

Heavy Metal:

Manilla Road- Crystal Logic (Just so damn epic!)

Black Sabbath- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, Heaven and Hell (You've got 4 records for a number of other bands. The most important metal band ever deserves five. Also, you've gotta have one Dio- Sabbath record on the list).

Doom metal:

My Dying Bride- Turn Loose the Swans, Angel and the Dark River (these have been widely influential on the genre)

Theatre of Tragedy- Velvet Darkness they Fear (Very influential on female fronted doom metal)

Katatonia- Brave Murder Day? Maybe...

Skepticism- Stormcrowfleet (a founding record within funeral doom)

Black Metal:

Filosofem is the second most important Burzum album.

Emperor's Anthem's at the Welkin at Dusk should be on the list. Haters will hate, but the compositions are really intricate and elaborate; it also the most important symphonic black metal album.

For Dissection, Storm of the Lights Bane is better than The Somberlain

I really don't get what people see in Behrit. I think the band is complete and utter shit and has no business on an essentials list.

I second some Graveland- Carpathian Wolves and Following the Voice of Blood especially.

Death Metal:

Nocturnus- The Key (The first example I can think of keyboards being successfully implemented in death metal.)

Manilla Road and Black Sabbath suggestions added.

My Dying Bride and Skepticism added. Theatre of Tragedy I'm wary of as you cited a reason extraneous to their music, the gender of the vocalist, as the reason for inclusion. Katatonia you didn't seem certain. Please confirm these suggestions.

Filosofem, Anthems and the Graveland added. Dissection already suggested and added.

I understand your opinion on Beherit but I think enough people consider this a classic to warrant leaving it on.

Nocturnus added, good catch there.

Stoner metal :

Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun , Welcome to Sky Valley
Earthless - Sonic Prayer
Datura - Visions For The Celestial

These seem fairly obscure, I'd like a second opinion.

Storm of the Light's Bane sounds to me like a watered down version of The Somberlain. Catchier, slightly more accessible, but not necessarily better.

I agree but I also think it belongs on the list.

Thrash

Merciless - The Awakening to Euro thrash.

And Justice for All & Rust in Peace are missing.

Death Metal

Second the vote for Nocturnus.

Covenant is considered more of a classic than Blessed are the Sick.

At the Gates - TRITSIO.

If we're going so far as breaking down into first/second wave BM, it seems a few other sub-genre's are missing - Death/Doom etc.

All suggestions added.

Heavy Metal:

Judas Priest - British Steel, (Screaming For Vengeance)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Iron Maiden - Killers, Number of the Beast
Dio - Holy Diver

[EDIT:]

American Thrash:

Overkill - The Years of Decay
Annihilator - Alice In Hell

(European) Power Metal:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys parts I+II

And as others have said, Black Sabbath - Sabotage+Heaven And Hell, Megadeth - Rust In Peace, Metallica - ...And Justice For All.

All suggestions added.

nwobhm
satan-court in the act
angel witch- angel witch
cloven hoof- cloven hoof

Done.

European Thrash is missing No More Color and Release From Agony.

Done.

Honestly, SoH & Seasons from Slayer should be there also - they are classics.

Done.

For progressive metal...

Cynic - Focus
Dream Theater - Images & Words, Awake
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry
Watchtower - Energetic Dissasembly, Control & Resistance

And USPM/traditional...

See what I said at the start of this post about progressive metal, some of these fit under other categories and I have added these, some I'm not sure about and would like to hear a second opinion.

Thanks everyone for your replies

See OP for updated list.

Also, I'd argue that Mercyful Fate's "Don't Break the Oath" should be included, as well as Megadeth's "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" and "So Far, So Good... So What!".

Just putting it out there. :)

Since you've changed things a bit, I have few more suggestions.

For black metal, the following deserve a nod.

Mutiilation- Vampires of Black Imperial Blood. Outside of the Nordic stuff this is one of the most influential raw black metal albums.

Also for death metal, I noticed you only have Scream Bloody Gore, but not Leprosy. Leprosy is to me the height of death metal. Just heavy, groovy and severe. The lyrics are also top notch- just direct, existential confrontations with death, without appealing to shock rock imagery.

Deathspell Omega- Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
Deathspell Omega- Paracletus

These are the future of black metal. complex compositions, technical, conceptually elaborate and probably the darkest band on the planet.

My Dying Bride and Skepticism added. Theatre of Tragedy I'm wary of as you cited a reason extraneous to their music, the gender of the vocalist, as the reason for inclusion. Katatonia you didn't seem certain. Please confirm these suggestions.

I can confirm Theatre of Tragedy. It is the best gothic doom metal album ever IMO. The melodies are are rich and moody and both the clean and growled vocals are excellent.

Leave Katantonia off for the time being. If someone else doubles it then go for it.

On another note, where should bands like Agalloch and Opeth go? Perhaps we need a progressive or folk metal section.

One more question. I don't know where Neurosis would go (doom?) but the caliber of releases like Through Silver in Blood and Enemy of the Sun is too good to be left off.

Yea, I think a progressive section is in need, there seems to be too many bands being excluded that deserve a place on the list which belong to this category. There is more to 'progressive' metal than just an approach to writing music, though I dont think this thread should start that debate.

Some glaring omissions:

For Traditional/Power: Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead

For Death: Gorguts - Obscura; Molested - Blod-Draum

For Doom: Pentagram - Pentagram (Relentless), Be Forewarned

For Thrash/Speed: Voivod - Killing Technology