Metal DI's

The guitar tone is tits! What did you use?

Solo C > Nick Crow 8505 > Catharthis' s-preshigh impulse > high pass at 80Hz, -2.5dB in between 1k and 2k (slight change in scoop freq between left and right).

Solo C > Nick Crow 8505 > Catharthis' s-preshigh impulse > high pass at 80Hz, -2.5dB in between 1k and 2k (slight change in scoop freq between left and right).

I think I need to start scooping out the "pain zone" by a few DB too.. Really clears up the blurry-ness it seems.

Awesome use of compression on this (from what I can hear). Care to explain how you made sound the way it does? It has amazing seperation and the parallel drum comp is awesome sounding. Also, where you're scooping out on the guitars?

Thanks man.
I actually didn't use any parallel compression tricks here, from what I can remember I used an la-3a emulator on the kick snare and cymbals individually with a 3:1 ratio and I adjusted the release differently for each instrument. The only other compression I used was on the master output.

As for the guitars, I only scooped out 3db at 4khz and 250hz. Nothing huge, just enough to add space for other instruments. :)

You should totally take screen shots of that haha! The whole thing has a really nice "glued" feel. Also, what did you use for guitar? I, no matter what, can never seem to get rid of the upper mid range 1-4k garbage without killing the tone.

You should totally take screen shots of that haha! The whole thing has a really nice "glued" feel. Also, what did you use for guitar? I, no matter what, can never seem to get rid of the upper mid range 1-4k garbage without killing the tone.

Just a tube screamer emulator, lecto and a catharsis impulse.
When dealing with that high end, maybe try cutting 800hz and 4khz by about 3 or 4 db. That should end the harshness in your guitar tones.

Just curious, but what guitar and interface did you use?

Still struggling with snares and kicks, but anyway, here you go:

Last edited by a moderator: