Metal drumming

GarinStone said:
I like it when the drummers don't try to be interesting. It detracts from the guitar(which is the point of the music, next to the vocals). Drums are just "there" to me most of the time.
I totally [respectfully ;)] disagree. Interesting, varied drumwork (and bass... another misused instrument) does NOT detract from the guitars. It enhances them, and makes for a better, denser, more re-listenable album. Take Obscura for example, there's so much going on in the rhythm as well as melodic (yet it still fits perfectly) that it's almost impossible to get sick of it...

Well I haven't heard that album so I can't comment... BUT what I'm trying to say is that there shouldn't be such a huge gap in 'focus'/importance between guitars and drums. I'm not saying that drums should be dominant, I just feel they are far too downplayed in metal. If you have great, interesting, varied guitar AND great, interesting, varied drumming, the guitars won't lose out. Another (non metal) band I feel achieves this balance well is Zeppelin. Bonham and John Paul Jones always have interesting rhythm that could practically stand on its own but it doen't detract from Page in the least.

LED ZEPPELIN NOW YOUR TALKING MAN THEY WERE FUCKING AWESOME DUDE JIMMY PAGE IS ONE OF MY ALLTIME HEROS:kickass:
:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:
WNxScythe said:
Well I haven't heard that album so I can't comment... BUT what I'm trying to say is that there shouldn't be such a huge gap in 'focus'/importance between guitars and drums. I'm not saying that drums should be dominant, I just feel they are far too downplayed in metal. If you have great, interesting, varied guitar AND great, interesting, varied drumming, the guitars won't lose out. Another (non metal) band I feel achieves this balance well is Zeppelin. Bonham and John Paul Jones always have interesting rhythm that could practically stand on its own but it doen't detract from Page in the least.

WNxScythe said:
I totally [respectfully ;)] disagree. Interesting, varied drumwork (and bass... another misused instrument) does NOT detract from the guitars. It enhances them, and makes for a better, denser, more re-listenable album. Take Obscura for example, there's so much going on in the rhythm as well as melodic (yet it still fits perfectly) that it's almost impossible to get sick of it...

I just happen to be a guitarist, is all. So thats just what I focus on in the music. Obscura is a good album, though.

I just perfer to listen to guitar stuff.

GarinStone said:
I just happen to be a guitarist, is all. So thats just what I focus on in the music. Obscura is a good album, though.

I just perfer to listen to guitar stuff.
I'm a guitarist too (in a band) ;)... we're close to finishing the first two songs we've ever written too... recording them next friday:kickass: can't wait:loco:

Krigloch the Furious said:
guitar stuff?

Stuff that requires skill to play, you know, the opposite of Burzum. (Couldn't miss a chance to insult Burzum.) I like bands like Necrophagist(who have the typical drumming), Death(Nothing typical about Human's drumming), I suppose the word for that type of music is "technical" metal.

To the person who hates Bodom(which appears to be all of you): Follow the Reaper has excellent guitar work. Perhaps you just hate melody, but you shouldn't really take that out on CoB now.

Thats awesome, putting a song together is always great(even if it sucks).

GarinStone said:
Because I don't like the howling noise that is Burzum? Thats me lying to myself?
Yes, it would be the same thing as saying that Manic Street Preachers suck, a fucking lie.

Ex-cally-boo said:
Yes, it would be the same thing as saying that Manic Street Preachers suck, a fucking lie.

Who the fuck is that?

A lie is something that isn't true - IE Agalloch sucks(I am the Wooden Doors + The Hawthorne Package = :worship: ). Excuse me if you didn't know who they are, I assumed things about your sig and avatar.

Manic Street Preachers are a great Britpop band, anyways.

Yes, saying Agalloch sucks would be a lie, but saying Burzum is not better than Necrophagist, Death, and Children of Bodom, is a lie as well.

Susperia said:
Lord. I dont' even like Burzum, but anyone who calls BM ''howling noise" is disqualified.

I have no poetic abilities. Describe the howling otherwise. The vocals actually made me stop the music, question if I had downloaded the right thing(this certainly couldn't be what everybody was all open ass for), and laugh.

Disqualified from what? Does your bold disqualification mean I can't listen to music anymore? Remind me to give a shit.