Metal drumming

You don't necessarily have to have technical skill to write good music. At the same time, having technical skill doesn't mean you can write good music.

GarinStone said:
Carcassian - at what point was I talking about wankery? You think technical skill can't be involved when you write a song? Then you're an idiot.

I believe he meant said that technical ability does not make up for poor song writing, which I agree with. People like Yngwie Malmsteen are very good players, but I don't really enjoy listening to them, because after awhile it feels more like I'm being rained with notes than I'm listening to a song.

WNxScythe said:
Is it just me, or does alot of metal drumming (especially dm/bm) get really boring sometimes. I mean sure, it may be amazingly fast at 3000 BPM, but constant blast beats (ESPECIALLY constant double bass work at full speed) gets VERY irritating, not to mention uninteresting, and relegates drums to a mere 'keep the beat' role... very lame IMO. On the flipside of things, I absolutely love the drumwork on say... Gorguts' Obscura and pretty much every Atheist album. In general, I think jazz influenced drumming is the best. What do you people think?

I think bassists are way more of a problem. How often in metal do you see a significant bassist?

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
I think bassists are way more of a problem. How often in metal do you see a significant bassist?
TOTALLY agree! In BM, it's almost totally unnoticeable. SOME DM is better (Atheist, Gorguts)... but still, huge problem w/ metal IMO

Amen to that. They are always mirriring guitar parts. Some guitar parts are hard, so the bassists obviously have skill, but they just stay behing the guitars. It pisses me of a ton. Drums, usually, with good bands, are interesting, even though they resort to blast beating more intense sections. At least the good ones I listen to.

Impudent said:
You don't necessarily have to have technical skill to write good music. At the same time, having technical skill doesn't mean you can write good music.

Case in point for scenario #1: Burzum. Excellently despondent, despairing music. Technical skill? Dude can't play worth shit. Guitar, bass, drums...he only had a basic knowledge of all three. And vocals? Taken out of the context, totally awful and a farce. All of these things in the context however? Excellent.

Case in point for scenario #2: Dream Theater. All awesome musicians? Can they write interesting, compelling music to save their lives? No they cannot.

Also for whoever said there is little focus on bass in metal, go listen to Pavor and curl up in a fetal position!

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Case in point for scenario #1: Burzum. Excellently despondent, despairing music. Technical skill? Dude can't play worth shit. Guitar, bass, drums...he only had a basic knowledge of all three. And vocals? Taken out of the context, totally awful and a farce. All of these things in the context however? Excellent.

Case in point for scenario #2: Dream Theater. All awesome musicians? Can they write interesting, compelling music to save their lives? No they cannot.

Agreed.

Paddy does not give me any beer :cry: . I've been sober for all yesterday, and today.

Paddy shows no mercy!

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:

errrr well... I'm not really agree, sorry...
There are bands, where bass means really much. Ok, Im not talking about BM and DM. If to take some bands like Meshuggah or Mudvayne (yeah, I know a lot of you have started spitting after those names) - so I guess without their bassists their music would be NOTHING...

V.V.V.V.V. said:

Also for whoever said there is little focus on bass in metal, go listen to Pavor and curl up in a fetal position!

Scenario 1: Burzum is some of the worst trash I've ever heard. We go over this constantly - My hatred runs deep.

Scenario 2: Dream Theater - always fucking interesting. Always good. (Except for Octavarium)

There IS little focus on bass in metal. Listing one band doesn't do anything for the cause. The reason bassists don't play in metal is because bass is a stupid instrument. Sleep Terror is a perfect example. They don't even have a bassist and they're better than 99% of other bands.

Haha, fucking shut up GarinStone.

Burzum are lightyears ahead of Dream Theater when it comes to song writing, Dream Theater is nearly always boring, while Burzum nearly never is.

Bass is one of the best instruments to ever grace metal, just fucking go listen to Pavor, early Pain of Salvation (the bass work on Entropia is awesome, and is on every other album but you really can hear it most on Entropia), Atheist, Spastic Ink, Acid Bath, Iron Maiden, Overkill, Alchemist, etc.

Bass > you

EDIT: Sleep Terror are good for 10 minutes, then get boring and worthless.

GarinStone said:
Scenario 1: Burzum is some of the worst trash I've ever heard.

Scenario 2: Dream Theater - always fucking interesting.

The reason bassists don't play in metal is because bass is a stupid instrument.

fuck you are a fucking stupid fucking fagort you fucking homo fuck.

:)

GarinStone said:
There IS little focus on bass in metal. Listing one band doesn't do anything for the cause. The reason bassists don't play in metal is because bass is a stupid instrument. Sleep Terror is a perfect example. They don't even have a bassist and they're better than 99% of other bands.

Sorry, but thats a bullshit... I know some bands here, where is no guitar, just bass, vocal and drums - and they kick asses... Bass is as important as guitar or drums... You say that listening to one band - doesnt do anything for the cause and telling about Sleep Terror in the same time... "Drums are not important, bass is not important" pppffff... Damn, you're real professional as I can see...