Metal Foundry vs. Metal Machine EZX

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
I know there's already a thread discussing Metal Machine EZX, but I'm wanting to know what I should get first. I can get Metal Foundry for $99 right now, or Metal Machine EZX for $79. I have SD 2.0 so I can get either. Is Metal Machine EZX worth passing up Metal Foundry at $99?

Well, I've used EZ Drummer, DKFH, SD2.0, Music City, Slate, and know my way around blending other samples together, basic compression, eq, etc.

I guess my question was more geared not really at the ease-of-use, but more for the quality of the samples compared to each other. From what I've heard, Metal Machine sounds pretty damn good. And it would save me $20 too. lol. I just wasn't sure if I should pass up MF for only $99, and unfortunately I can't afford both at the moment.

Edit: after doing more reading it looks like a lot of you prefer the samples in Metal Machine compared to MF. Hmmm...

Guess it depends on what you want and how experienced you are with mixing drums.

Indeed.

My thoughts:

Metal Machine - quick way to good sound, though with the obvious risk of sounding the same as thousand others

Metal Foundry - requires shaping but also might give you something in the end that is slightly more unique

I've been using metal foundry for almost a year now and the only workable sound I've ever gotten out of it was tweaking Andy's presets for it, I don't have metal machine but from what I've heard in the demos id suggest that.

metal foundry has some great sounding cymbals, the rest is shit IMHO.
no matter what you do, it just sounds DEAD.

a matter of tweaking?

i don't think so, ok i can't mix drums but i also didn't hear any good TMF
drum clips. not from the TT demos, not from the presets and not from
the hundrets of samples posted by users.

The metal foundry as mentioned earlier is dead, the drums are out of tune (especially the toms and snares), dead, have no sustain to them what so ever, I have heard raw drums from bedroom studios that sound better.

I would say MM with slate library or other sample libraries (Lasse, Sturgis etc) as well as additional post processing would provide a better palette for dialing in good tones for a mix. The only thing TMF has going for it is the cymbals.

Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah, I agree with most of you that the cymbals seem to be the best part of MF. I may just get Metal Machine and save me some cash. That'll give me some extra money to put towards the new Dirk midi pack. :D

Sorry to hijack Virgil.'s thread, but the general consensus is go with Metal Machine?

I can get both for the same price - So that's not really a big deal to me, I can afford to buy both, but if MF's drums are as useless as everyone says, then I'm not sure the extra cost will be worth it just for cymbals...? Maybe I'll pick up Metal Machine and VCC instead of MF?

Thanks again for the input!

Sorry to hijack Virgil.'s thread, but the general consensus is go with Metal Machine?

I can get both for the same price - So that's not really a big deal to me, I can afford to buy both, but if MF's drums are as useless as everyone says, then I'm not sure the extra cost will be worth it just for cymbals...? Maybe I'll pick up Metal Machine and VCC instead of MF?

That seems to be the consensus that I'm hearing--MF for cymbals, MM for shells; however, there are a few guys that have since edited their original comments about the cymbals and said they like the way they sound afterall and poke through the mix. Just a matter of taste I think. I don't think Andy would have stamped his name on something that he didn't think sounded good. I think to make MF worth it, you would also need to get Andy's preset pack as well. I don't think it's worth it personally, but I also have Music City and I really like those cymbals and can use those instead of MM if I don't like those.

Ewww you like the cymbals in music city?

Anyhow I think it's fucking wacky that anyone wouldn't like mf. Shit sounds good broz.

lol different strokes n stuff. :loco:

I love the sound of MF's cymbals, but just as Matrix mentioned, I'm not sure if I could justify $75 or even 100 just for that lol. Afterall it's just for demos and eventually will want real drums replacing it.