metal from the Balkan countries???

Cythraul

Dec 10, 2003
Hey folks, I've got a little request. Could any of you recommend good metal bands from the Balkans? Besides Greece, I have little knowledge about the metal in that part of the world. By the Balkan countries I mean the following:

Albania
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Montenegro
Romania
Serbia
Slovenia
Turkey (even though Turks aren't real people)

Any kind of non-poserish metal will do. Just make sure it's good.

DO NOT recommend bands from the Republic of Macedonia. It's not a real country. It's a bunch of Slavic jerks who try to steal Greek history and culture and they are not real people.

DO NOT recommend Greek bands. I already know plenty about Greek metal.

DO NOT recommend Negura Bunget. I'm already familiar with them and I like them a lot.

Slovenia: Brezno (up-and-coming female-fronted Slavic Pagan/Folk Metal group, not 'extreme metal', just beautiful and fun like Russia's Kalevala)
Bulgaria: Balkandji (pagan/folk, more rock than metal)
Romania: Bucovina (Pagan/Folk Metal)
Romania: Martolea (gloomy folky Negura Bunget side-project (I won't shut up about this project until it is mentioned every time Negura Bunget is mentioned))
Turkey: Sorg Uten Tårer (Scandinavian style melo-death, but Mistbound (2009) is a nice acoustic album)
Croatia: Powerless (Folk Black Metal)
Croatia: S.o.M. (unique ambient/doomy style ("Ethno Doom" as one of their album titles has it)
Croatia: Stribog (epic Pagan/Folk Black Metal like Russia's Arkona)
Greece: Aeklypsis (Melodic Death with a bit of an epic vibe like Amon Amarth)
Greece: Transcending Bizarre? (you've probably already heard of them)
Bulgaria: Vrani Volosa (Pagan/Dark Metal like Bathory/Agalloch/etc.)
Bulgaria: Shambless (epic Pagan Folk/Black)
Turkey: Almôra (Symphonic/Gothic)

DO NOT recommend bands from the Republic of Macedonia. It's not a real country. It's a bunch of Slavic jerks who try to steal Greek history and culture and they are not real people.

It's actually the other way around. I thought you of all intellectuals on this forum would know this. Shame on you Cyth, and shame on the Greeks.

EDIT: With that said, Macedonian metal is pretty much non-existant.

Two really good bands from Albania are Crossbones, who are still going. Look for Crossbones Crossbones Crossbones on Arsebook.

...and Thunder Way, who were like Iron Maiden speeded up but moved to Italy and broke up. You can hear both on myspace (worra novelty!)