Metal/Hardcore. I really like this band I'm mixing.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com

Drums were played with an e-kit, into Superior2 TMF + custom kick sample + SSD Snare 12A (z1+z4). Snare is blended with TMF snare.

Bass is DI into POD Farm 2. EQ'd and compressed to hell.

Guitars are unknown, I just know they used real amps without TS in front. SM57 slightly off-axis.

Vocals are not autotuned, I didn't want this band to be that artificial.

What's your opinion??

Cheers!:headbang:

EDIT: I fucked up big time rendering :lol:
EDIT: Updated final version

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd be tempted to make the snare more present, and scoop the mix a teeny bit, but this is awesome as is.

the band are awesome, and it's rare to find a vocalist confident enough to record singing without 'tuning..!

thanks,

well done! too bad they recorded the guitars wet, really untight performances and the tone lacks attack. sounds like one of those "cover up all mistakes"-tones, haha. but the mixing is phenomenal! what is your chain for the screamed vocals?

Thanks Kyle! :lol: @ "awesome bag of aural tits"

Clint: I'm using Melodyne (the old cheap one, not the awesome DNA one) and it rules! I use it as external editor in Reaper, so I just set F10 key to open it with the region I'm selecting. Then export and reimport back into Reaper with a couple of hotkeys. Takes me around 15-20 minutes to edit a whole song. Awesome.

this mix reminds me of the first As I Lay Dying recordings. Good job vox sit very well. I'd be interested in your vocal chain also.

Thanks Kyle! :lol: @ "awesome bag of aural tits"

Clint: I'm using Melodyne (the old cheap one, not the awesome DNA one) and it rules! I use it as external editor in Reaper, so I just set F10 key to open it with the region I'm selecting. Then export and reimport back into Reaper with a couple of hotkeys. Takes me around 15-20 minutes to edit a whole song. Awesome.

Rad man, i used to use the DNA version for guitars but it sucks :D and when you say tuning, you are referring to vocals i assume? Because if you know a rad trick for re-tuning guitars post recording, i would kill to know how!

Are the guitars still the miced ones they gave you?
Because from what I recall of the last version this sounds MUCH better now
Great mix, really dig the vibe, awesome work man!