Metal Haven closes in Chicago!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

First Impulse and now Metal Haven!!!!! What the Fuck!!!!! Looks like online cd buying is going to be a big hit now.

There goes Bob's social life!

I suppose having more CDs in the back of the store and in understock than you actually have out on the floor for sale doesn't help any.

Also, just like with most independent stores, they never altered their pricing to remain competitive with the online retailers. Granted, that is hard to do, since their is rent to pay.

It is a lose-lose situation.

Finally, almost any CD can be had by mail or download long before it would be available at an indie store.

Metal Haven was a very important part of my getting back into metal 10 years ago, as I lived walking distance to their original location. Now living in the suburbs, I only frequent it a handful of times a year.

Damn. I always wanted to check that place out and never got the chance. I'm still reeling after Impulse's close. I agree though that mostly everything you can get via online except there always is something special about browsing a cd store. Now the best place to get metal is (sadly) FYE and for the most part their prices are outrageous, not to mention having bad blood with them having worked for them. Ha!

No one mourns for poor Nightfall Records!

The crazy thing is not that the Chicagoland area now has zero independent metal-only record stores, but that it once had three!

Can't say it matters for me on a practical level, since I stopped buying CDs a long time ago (thus contributing to the problem!) but it is sad to know that that bit of "culture" is going away.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the 10.25% sales tax, or if it's just due to the economy.

Without knowing the details of the situation (like maybe the owner is simply moving to another state and getting married, or his landlord doubled the rent), I would guess the relative contribution of the factors would be:

0.01%: 10.25% sales tax
29.99%: the economy in general
70%: the continuing shift away from CDs for music consumption

Of course, I never even made it to the place in its "new" location, so maybe metal fans *are* still one of the last holdouts strongly supporting physical distribution, and it was still getting brisk business?

Neil

No one mourns for poor Nightfall Records!

I went there a couple times.
I mean, how can you go wrong!
You have a metal store not far away from the ADMIRAL THEATER!!! :headbang:

I will never forget going into Nightfall, and asking the guy working there if they carried STRATOVARIUS................ :lol:

I enjoyed going to Metal Haven when I was in town for the Chicago Powerfest. It's demise is hardly surprising, but it still sucks.

I wonder how long the metal store in Madison will continue to operate. Fortunately for me, the brick-and-mortar store I frequent the most does not specialize in metal, but they do have a decent metal section. Hopefully, their diversity and reasonable prices will keep them around. I was also going to list their proximity to the UW campus as another plus, but I doubt many in the 18 to 26-year-old demographic spend much on CDs these days. Hurray for old fogie alumni like me!

I enjoyed going to Metal Haven when I was in town for the Chicago Powerfest. It's demise is hardly surprising, but it still sucks.

I wonder how long the metal store in Madison will continue to operate. Fortunately for me, the brick-and-mortar store I frequent the most does not specialize in metal, but they do have a decent metal section. Hopefully, their diversity and reasonable prices will keep them around. I was also going to list their proximity to the UW campus as another plus, but I doubt many in the 18 to 26-year-old demographic spend much on CDs these days. Hurray for old fogie alumni like me!

John, what store in Madison is that? I'm up that way more often than I have been in a long time, would love to check it out....Thanks!

John, what store in Madison is that? I'm up that way more often than I have been in a long time, would love to check it out....Thanks!

J-Dubya,

I believe he's referring to, "EAR EAX" and it's on the same block as, "The Exclusive Co." record store, but around the corner. At least that is what it was called and where it was located. Haven't been there in a couple of years, but website is up and running...

http://www.myspace.com/earwaxpunkandmetal

This was posted on CNN today. I think it's obvious why record stores are closing.

16862_1349904076283_1491800131_30964648_6601786_n.jpg

This was posted on CNN today. I think it's obvious why record stores are closing.

16862_1349904076283_1491800131_30964648_6601786_n.jpg

Stark graph. Would be interesting to plot some internet technology milestones along the y-axis, such as introductions of the following: DSL and cable internet connections; mp3 files; Napster, iTunes, etc., and see where they intersect with the sales numbers (or more specifically, what the curve looks like after those technologies were introduced).

It's not just being able to buy online. There are a lot of bands I found out about because I was in a music store at the time they were playing it. There really isn't anyway to experience that. I really get nostalgic at times when I see something like Empire Records on TV, and just remember how going to a cool record store was in my youth.

Of course, when LPs went away, so did the cool album art, and that was half of the experience. Bought lots of stuff just because the album is cool. I never really look at the art on a CD.

The music industry never followed suit to the simple economic concept of supply and demand.

The price of the CD never decreased with the decrease in demand.