Metal Haven closes in Chicago!

Thats a pretty childish way to project your opinion. I have hard feelings on two online vendors myself which I could post pages of anger filled diatribe. My point is that if you have a problem with this vendor that's fine, make up your own thread about it. Be forewarned, make sure you have documented proof of what you say. I know of a couple of people that were charged with slander with no evidence of the contrary. Just my two cents.

i don't see it as childish, and why would i risk slander? i sent him several orders (yes, my original error in judgment of his character - assuming he would pay me eventually), i have invoiced proof and he has yet to pay and we are two years into it all now. he no longer responds to my inquires of payment and hasn't for some time.

also, i am not angry (i mean i guess i could be, but i don't waste time on that - see my band's banner below for slogan) but i choose to do things my way, and you obviously do them another way, which is fine too. i choose to talk sh*t on douchebags. i have done it in the past and got what i needed out of them in the end. whether it was designers who stole money, etc. when they know they are in the wrong and want me to stop talking junk then they will sort it out. until then i choose my way to do things. childish it may be (in your opinion), but effective it has proven to be in the past, so i will continue to choose the path that gets me what i am owed.

plus, he knows he is a thief. there is no human being who can sit there and know they have MY cds in their store and have NEVER paid me for them but could somehow feel when i call them a thief that is untrue.

also, why start a thread promoting the douche? i don't want to give him the attention of a personal thread. i just take my shot each time his name is mentioned and do my part. i don't drag it out. it's done.

however, i do PRAY TO THE GODS, that he comes to PP to set up tables one year. haha, oh the fun i will have.
:lol:

EDIT:
i went back and checked my records. it's been about a year since he last responded to anything and the total bill due is $421.00.

The Crow's Nest, although not exclusively metal, was another Chicago area store that had an excellent selection, but Metal Haven being gone really stinks. Whenever we made a trip to Chi-town we made it a point to stop there...

The Crow's Nest, although not exclusively metal, was another Chicago area store that had an excellent selection, but Metal Haven being gone really stinks. Whenever we made a trip to Chi-town we made it a point to stop there...

Tower was a good spot too. Although, much like FYE sometimes you paid an arm and a leg for their stuff.

Tower was a good spot too. Although, much like FYE sometimes you paid an arm and a leg for their stuff.

FYE in greensboro is $9.99 for all regular CDs, so no deluxe editions or anything. but i have been cleaning up and their metal selection is SO MUCH BETTER than Best Buy.

But ever since the indie store in which i worked closed down that is all we have for metal in this town. pretty sad actually. luckily i know everyone at the distros so i can get hooked up, but for the average metal fan this town sucks for stores. which is a shame because it's not like we are a tiny market.

FYE in greensboro is $9.99 for all regular CDs, so no deluxe editions or anything. but i have been cleaning up and their metal selection is SO MUCH BETTER than Best Buy.

But ever since the indie store in which i worked closed down that is all we have for metal in this town. pretty sad actually. luckily i know everyone at the distros so i can get hooked up, but for the average metal fan this town sucks for stores. which is a shame because it's not like we are a tiny market.

That is quite bizarre. I just somehow find that hard to believe that ALL the metal cds are 9.99 though as I have worked at an FYE for two years and most of them were overpriced.

That is quite bizarre. I just somehow find that hard to believe that ALL the metal cds are 9.99 though as I have worked at an FYE for two years and most of them were overpriced.

it's not all metal CDs, its ALL CDs in the store that are not deluxe editions (IE ones with DVDs or bonus cds). the employees said that the Greensboro store is a test market for pricing or something like that. when i go there next and i will take a pictures of all the huge signs in the windows and throughout the store.

and it's not like they are trying to clean out dead stock, because all new releases coming in are $9.99 as well. if it's not on sale at Best Buy i head to FYE and grab stuff because they are getting all new stuff all the time. just picked up Devin's latest last week.

it's not all metal CDs, its ALL CDs in the store that are not deluxe editions (IE ones with DVDs or bonus cds). the employees said that the Greensboro store is a test market for pricing or something like that. when i go there next and i will take a pictures of all the huge signs in the windows and throughout the store.

and it's not like they are trying to clean out dead stock, because all new releases coming in are $9.99 as well. if it's not on sale at Best Buy i head to FYE and grab stuff because they are getting all new stuff all the time. just picked up Devin's latest last week.

Interesting. I might have to check that one out.

As far as Best Buy goes, it really depends on which one you go to. In general though, they don't have that great of a selection and a lot of times they won't have a new metal release until weeks after it was released. I kept waiting and waiting for the new Sonata to come to the Best Buy near me, but it never happened. It was weird too because they had their live album and Junia there. Yet, they had Delain which I was really shocked to see.

I kept waiting and waiting for the new Sonata to come to the Best Buy near me, but it never happened. It was weird too because they had their live album and Junia there. Yet, they had Delain which I was really shocked to see.

Which BB do you go to? The one on Butterfield in Downers Grove?

I am in there about 2 times a week, esp now that they have the instruments room.

Any BB is hit or miss with what they will have.

I have found the Pentagram RELAPSE RECORDS collections at some BBs over the years. The most recent surprise release I saw was the new Primal Fear as an import w/ bonus tracks at BB.

As far as newer releases, they are becoming fewer and far between.
I had heard for years now that BB wants to phase out CDs.

Many BBs I have been to NEVER restock a thing, and are left with very few CDs.

Best Buy is, I suspect, "getting out of" ordering new CDs from niche genre markets. Not surprising, since I estimate the new-CD market will be dead in perhaps as little as two years, and maybe as long as five.

Case in point: Nuclear Blast's biggest black-metal release of 2009, Immortal's first release in a decade entitled All Shall Fall, was not available and was never stocked at any Best Buy store closer to Atlanta than Michigan. (!)

Case in point: Nuclear Blast's biggest black-metal release of 2009, Immortal's first release in a decade entitled All Shall Fall, was not available and was never stocked at any Best Buy store closer to Atlanta than Michigan. (!)

It probably means that previous Immortal releases sold at BB, which was probably only SONS OF NORTHERN DARKNESS, did not sell well in your market.

Each region has its own buyers.

They do look at what sells.

I have noticed that the BB by me, for example, has a LOT of the Metal Blade and more death metal stuff on Nuc Blast. Also, SOME power metal, such as Gamma Ray, HammerFall, and Helloween.

There is a different BB more near my work that has carried more obscure doom and stoner stuff, stuff that I have never seen at my local BB.

No one mourns for poor Nightfall Records!

I had kind of a "Love/ Hate" relationship with Nightfall Records. They were about 5 blocks from my house so that was cool. They primarily carried death/black/ and grindcore. No progressive and very little power. I did however pick up a power metal release here and there from them.

Here is my assessment of why I think Nightfall Records tanked:

1. CD prices were high. A normal release was on average about $18.99
2, They did not take credit cards nor did they have a sign in the store. You found out when you went to check out. They didn't even have a cash register.
3. No website
4. Very hard to park in the area
5. No sales EVER!
6. The opening of Metal Haven was the beginning of the end for them IMO.
7. The manager Tom was hot/ cold. He was either really nice to you or a complete dick. You never knew what you were going to get.

Which BB do you go to? The one on Butterfield in Downers Grove?

I am in there about 2 times a week, esp now that they have the instruments room.

Any BB is hit or miss with what they will have.

I have found the Pentagram RELAPSE RECORDS collections at some BBs over the years. The most recent surprise release I saw was the new Primal Fear as an import w/ bonus tracks at BB.

As far as newer releases, they are becoming fewer and far between.
I had heard for years now that BB wants to phase out CDs.

Many BBs I have been to NEVER restock a thing, and are left with very few CDs.

Yes that would be the one. On occasion I go to the Bloomingdale one. That's way too soon to start phasing out cds.

It probably means that previous Immortal releases sold at BB, which was probably only SONS OF NORTHERN DARKNESS, did not sell well in your market.

Maybe....if by "market" you mean the entire Eastern Seaboard from New England down to Florida, and west to Texas..... :rolleyes:

I used to see a fair amount of metal, including more obscure Nuclear Blast artists, at area Best Buys. Now it seems like the incoming flow of new CDs has slowed to a trickle.

I -did- find the new Immortal locally, for a mere $10.
At Hot Topic.
They had a lot of other metal there, ranging from Agalloch to Abigail Williams to Tyr and Turisas.
:OMG:

I -did- find the new Immortal locally, for a mere $10.
At Hot Topic.
They had a lot of other metal there, ranging from Agalloch to Abigail Williams to Tyr and Turisas.
:OMG:

Yeah,HotTopic carries NAPALM RECORDS stuff.
I have never seen Agalloch there though.

Have you seen other THE END RECORDS artists there?